• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Backpack Kid's ALSO suing Fortnite for using his dance ... but back in June he told TMZ that he was "just glad it's in the game."

Backpack Kid is the latest to jump into the lawsuit game over Fortnite allegedly ripping off signature dances.
Backpack Kid's mom filed the latest lawsuit on behalf of her 16-year-old kid, who blew up back in 2016 when he posted videos of himself on Instagram doing a dance, which he called The Floss.

He's also suing 2K Sports, which makes NBA 2K, claiming it too stole his dance.
Backpack Kid is suing for unspecified damages and wants a judge to stop the companies from stealing his moves.

https://www.tmz.com/2018/12/18/back...s-dance-alfonso-ribeiro-carlton-dance-nba-2k/

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I sweared this was a Hard Drive Mag headline.

I say, go dude, make yourself rich. You earned it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The other topic provided a lot of evidence that he did not create the dance, some videos going back to 2011. So I don't think he has a case, even less so than Alfonso.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't blame him. Even if he doesn't have a case at least he doesn't have to live with the "what if" haunting him. You miss all the shots you don't take, and all that jazz.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
"GO GET YOUR MONEY LITTLE GUY!"

If someone owns the floss dance, it sure as fuck isn't backpack kid.

This video is from 2011. Watch as the burning hatred for a big corporation buries any truth about the origins of the dance in question. Copywriting body poses is a joke.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This one may be the most farcical because it's literally a single body motion. If he can copyright this, some enterprising individual could copyright hand waves, high fives, and all sorts of single motion body movements.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
"his" dance from 2014 which he stole in 2016

Yeah I mean, this one is pretty cut and dry. it's not the kid's dance to claim.

If you feel you have something to protect, protect it at the time, people. You might have a claim to it, but cases like this will be incredibly hard to prove out in court.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This one may be the most farcical because it's literally a single body motion. If he can copyright this, some enterprising individual could copyright hand waves, high fives, and all sorts of single motion body movements.
You mean to tell me that there is something fundamentally wrong with copy righting body moves?

This whole thing is dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, atleast if EPIC loses the other cases they will be able to recoup some of their losses from this kid's parents

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Bungie over here hoping no one notices the Destiny dances like:

TNhhoYE.jpg

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL stepping over dollars to make pennies. I really should have been a lawyer so I can make money of people with false dreams.

The smart play would be to market Fortnite onto yourself..."Hey you like this dance in Fortnite? I invented it and hey watch me do other dances on my Youtube page so I can get you to buy stuff from me"...he would make a ton more money. But hey, lawyers need money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.