• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Song Do You Prefer?

• Beyond the Sky

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • One Last You

Votes: 51 65.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first and second numbered games in the Xenoblade series both conclude with a vocal credits song that are among the best tracks in their respective games. Below are both songs, as well as the lyrics. I'm going to be talking about my interpretation of both, so be warned there are spoilers for either games.

Beyond the Sky

Tell me why, the reason I am here
Just only you I see from far away
I've come for you
Don't know why, I searched all night and day
But when I'm here, darkness came
No lights to show the way
Dark despair, still I seek for you
All I long to see was your smile
I know I won't look behind, I see no regrets
No guiding lights so dark, are you my light?
But now I am here, and you're close to me.
My heart is with you, forever and ever...
See this place, the end of world she fears
No shining lights anywhere
This emptiness in tears
Didn't know,
It was you all along
You were chasing after my shadows
I know I won't look behind, I see no regrets
No guiding lights so dark, are you my light?
But now I am here, and you're close to me.
No I won't let you go, I will hold it in my arms
Oh! This light was you!
I know it now, beyond the sky,
There's new place you'll see
I came to you to share our dream together
I won't let us part, there's no place to be

One Last You

Lyrics:
Very end of eternity
The final day has come to an end, it's gone for good
I would then slowly close my eyes
And be cuddled by the shining memory piece
I will trace back all the memories with you
That's the only wish I have
The last day with you was truly magical
The frozen time began to flow
At last the longest night has gone and brought in light
I felt myself melt in the morning light
The final grain of sand has dropped
I will slowly so quietly fall into sleep
I see you gently fade away
Your silhouette has gone to the other side of the mist
And all the memories with no sound so quiet
Just like in slow motion it moves so slowly
And so the last day with you was truly magical
The frozen time began to flow
At last the longest night has gone and brought in light
I felt myself melt in the morning light
You have gifted many things to me
(But I) wonder if I could've done the same for you
If you would let me, I will give back a handful
If it would put a little smile on your face
Can I ask you, God? Despite all of this...
Could the sandglass somehow take back the time?
One last time is all I ask from you
Can you please spare me some time with the one man I loved?
I wouldn't care how and where it should be
But I need one last time I want to tell you, how I feel inside for you
I want you to know...

Regarding the lyrics, here are my interpretations. Both of these songs seem to be the female lead of each game reflecting on the end of the journey and their circumstances they've ended up in, and their romantic feelings towards the protagonists. In Fiora's case, this is how she has at last found peace and comfort with Shulk, and is comforted by his light and knowing he was coming for her when she was lost in the darkness. For Pyra and Mythra, the song is more bittersweet, as she has apparently been killed in the finale and is reflecting on her last days with Rex, only to beg for God himself to allow her just one more day to be alive and be with Rex. Where "Beyond the Sky" plays during a final scene that shows the characters in their well deserved happy endings, "One Last You" sets up the final twist of the game, the miraculous resurrection of Pyra/Mythra.

This is reflected in the composition of both songs. If I had to describe the overall feeling of "Beyond the Sky" it would be calm and peaceful, a reflection on journey's end. "One Last You", by contrast is similarly reflective at first, but becomes more dramatic towards the end, riffing Pyra/Mythra's main musical theme from the game before she begs God to let her return to Rex, if only for while. There's something really powerful about this to me, because a large theme in both games have been how the apparent gods of the worlds are actually false, flawed beings, with the Architect in XB2 even hoping for forgiveness and redemption from a higher power. This is not who Pyra/Mythra is pleading with at the end of the game, she's pleading to the God we ourselves know, a direct invocation of the Theism that is otherwise only alluded to.

I personally like both songs quite a bit, though I find "One Last You" a little more compelling. What do you think, Era?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually Moment of Eternity that is best

Really captures the bittersweet feeling of Torna's ending.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I love One Last You and I often listen to this song. It's a request of a miracle, to have just a few last moments to spend the time with the person she loves, to tell him the most important words she wasn't able to tell - and the lyrics end without those words in the lyrics itself. It's really beautiful.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
One Last You. The context in which it plays... well, it's incredibly emotional if you've become attached to the characters.

A Moment of Eternity is great too...

... all Xenoblade music is great to be fair.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I love both songs, but One Last You just edges it for me. I prefer the lyrics for it personally.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I love all the xeno songs all the way back to gears, but One Last You is the most emotionally charged. The ending with it is just perfect. Whereas Beyond the Sky is more peaceful and simply happy in the context where it's played.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'd also add that when the piano comes in right at the end of One Last You it gets me every trime.

Weaving Elysium, in the Blue Sky, in is such a fitting way to end the game. Beautiful.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt really attached with Shulk and Fiora as partners (Melia FTW) but with Rex and Pyra/Mythra it was an incredibly emotional experience, and the love story there was MUCH better (not surprising as the main theme of the game is that), so when, after watching that incredibly emotional scene of
everyone escaping thanks to Pneuma staying behind, Rex falling completely apart and Poppi saying those amazing words, and that incredible theme in the background
and then you have the bittersweet credits, were they use that amazing theme as the end... I just started crying like a child, and that twist just at the end just fills your heart with pure happiness.

Holy shit, call me stupid, but im just crying right now while writting this and listening the song in the background.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They're all amazing songs, but I'll have to go with One Last You because of what it's about and how well it ties in with the ending.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Xeno2's theme has that moment with the flashback when Pyra blows the fire, so Xeno2 wins.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wasnt really attached with Shulk and Fiora as partners (Melia FTW) but with Rex and Pyra/Mythra it was an incredibly emotional experience, and the love story there was MUCH better (not surprising as the main theme of the game is that), so when, after watching that incredibly emotional scene of
everyone escaping thanks to Pneuma staying behind, Rex falling completely apart and Poppi saying those amazing words, and that incredible theme in the background
and then you have the bittersweet credits, were they use that amazing theme as the end... I just started crying like a child, and that twist just at the end just fills your heart with pure happiness.

Holy shit, call me stupid, but im just crying right now while writting this and listening the song in the background.
The world doesn't deserve Poppi

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The world doesn't deserve Poppi
Poppi was absolutely incredible. I love everyone of your teamates in this game, it reminds me a ton of how I felt with FFIX. XC2 and FFIX are my 2 favourite JRPGs ever. I love how both also end in a similar note with the credits theme in the background, and both of those ending themes use the main themes of their games as the final touch (in FFIX's case it use the main theme of the series, that is the only part they use it apart from the title appearing in alexadria castle intro were you hear some notes at the start of the adventure).

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, A Moment of Eternity wins this one for me. It works very well with the credits. If you played XC2 you know what's coming yet it still hurts :(

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Learning that all the Xenoblade games have vocal ending themes has me wanting to dig up my Wii U from whatever storage container I put it in and finally play XBC1 and XBCX to completion.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Poppi was absolutely incredible. I love everyone of your teamates in this game, it reminds me a ton of how I felt with FFIX. XC2 and FFIX are my 2 favourite JRPGs ever. I love how both also end in a similar note with the credits theme in the background, and both of those ending themes use the main themes of their games as the final touch (in FFIX's case it use the main theme of the series, that is the only part they use it apart from the title appearing in alexadria castle intro were you hear some notes at the start of the adventure).
I think I love you

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
there's a particular moment in One Last You where the singer's voice almost breaks and that fuckin gets me every time.

What a song. Beyond the Sky is good too but there is something about the beginning of One Last You that makes my hair stand on end with how god damn beautiful it is

Also Xeno 2 benefits because it also has Drifting Soul right before it which fuckin primes you to be slayed

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
The poll is missing Your Voice from XCX and A Moment of Eternity from Torna.

Even accounting all four ending themes, One Last You is still the best. It's such a somber yet hopeful song. I hope Jen Bird gets more opportunities to sing the ending themes for future games. :D

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
OP can probably ask a mod to add Your Voice (XCX) and A Moment of Eternity (Torna) to the poll. Which option I go with might depend on whether I can vote for A Moment of Eternity.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP can probably ask a mod to add Your Voice (XCX) and A Moment of Eternity (Torna) to the poll. Which option I go with might depend on whether I can vote for A Moment of Eternity.
I'm actually just going to start fresh with a new thread here in a moment with all four options, feels like the cleaner way to do it.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought XB2's was horrible when I heard it at the end, though I've never listened to it again. Maybe I should do that.

Beyond the Sky is phenomenal. I love just listening to that. When it played in game I had the dumbest smile on my face the whole time.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd vote for torna if I could... but since I can't, I voted for the song I actually remember from the games, which is beyond the sky. Didn't remember anything about the xb2 ending song, not even when I listened to it. It just doesn't leave any impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.