• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
User banned (5 days): Misleading thread creation, antagonizing members

Pretty bizarre for him outwardly reject it without even trying to implement it. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer was just advocating for it a couple weeks ago:

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the stimulus check shit, Biden and the democrats really seem to want to get completely ran out of town in midterms, don't they?

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's disappointing.. wtf

Edit: Ok so his response isn't terrible either. He seems to want to prevent future college students from accumulating debt (or at least AS much debt) rather than wiping out debt for current graduates.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even expecting him to do the 10k forgiveness. This is something he gives absolutely no fucks about.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this is the guy we all knew he was from before he was the last hope against Trump.

at the end of the day, he still sucks.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
There has got to be far more variables for something like this, it's ridiculous to just give forgive up to 50k debt across the board. Can't make it so vague... fuck the taxes that we'd be seeing for something like that

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Are people suddenly remembering that the Democratic Party nominees dropped out to Voltron around fourth-place Biden once they learned it was the only way to stop more progressive candidates like Warren and Sanders and their ideas of debt forgiveness from leading to success in the primaries? Shit like this means you should never forget it.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the stimulus check shit, Biden and the democrats really seem to want to get completely ran out of town in midterms, don't they?

My faith in voting beyond the local level has been broken to be honest.
He got in, he doesn't need to do anything heavily requested by his constituents.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
while repeating the absolutely bizarre and shameful gaslighting of "I don't want to forgive the debt of millionaires who went to Yale"... in response to a woman saying her debt is crushing her

without any shred of a soul, this dude

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

This is what depresses me more than anything. I don't think they're going to do enough to ensure fair elections, and voters in 2022 are going to remember "well, they promised $2,000 checks and didn't deliver," so I think they're going to lose in 2022 and that will pretty much be it for democracy in America. And even though that all hasn't happened yet, it just feels so inevitable.

The most charitable description of the Dems is that they're the "dumb" in the "evil will always triumph because good is dumb" line.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"I could help you, but then I might also help people who don't strictly need it."

We get the fascism we deserve.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Feels real good to see the guy I voted for shit all over the literal biggest issue in my life for the past, idk, 5 years?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden really doesn't care all that much about the average American. He's your typical corporate Democrat. Better than a Republican, better than Donald Trump, but still a big contributor to America's lack of progress. He's going to be an incredibly disappointing president for anyone who supports progressive policies that enhance the lives of working and middle class citizens.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck? First, what's an elite school? Second, people can go to elite schools without being rich, because third, if they were rich the cancellation wouldn't affect them anyways?

I'm confused

EDIT: Ah, saw the rest of the thread. He doesn't think he can do it by executive action... why not?

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me for having more than 50k in debt, but not going to an elite school I guess. Thanks.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden has been pretty insistent on the fact he does not agree he has the executive authority to do 50,000.

I can understand his argument to some degree. Something like 50,000 forgiveness should be tied to a comprehensive Education bill that implements his free college stuff etc. Erasing the debt and just leaving the current system in place just rebuilds the pile.

The 50k Debt forgiveness would erase something like 95% of my College Debt so I am all for it and want it to happen but I can see his side of the legislative arguement

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while repeating the absolutely bizarre and shameful gaslighting of "I don't want to forgive the debt of millionaires who went to Yale"... in response to a woman saying her debt is crushing her

without any shred of a soul, this dude
bOTh paRtIes ArE ThE SaMe

oh wait i didn't do it right

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why does Era rush to have bad takes when it comes to Biden? It's like some posters want to shit on him as quickly as possible.

He simply doesn't want it done via EO. Something so drastic should be done via legislation coupled with robust higher ed reform.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait until he rolls back on the Dream Act calling it too radical and that maybe he'll extend DACA renewals to 3 years per renewal

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this him saying he can only do 10k by executive order while it's up to the senate to pass 50k cancellations?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% disagree with his stance on using an EO for student debt canceling, but some of the posts in this thread clearly didn't watch or listen to the short video clip.

Give people 50k forgiveness and their 2k checks JB.

OP
OP
Rockets

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
That's not what he said. He isn't for eliminating 50k in student debt via EO. Only for 10k.
Stop the gaslighting. He said it.

Schumer on February 4: The easiest way to do it is for President Biden with a flick of a pen to get it done."

Biden when asked what he'll do to eliminate $50k in student loan debt: "I will not make that happen."

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
student debt forgiveness wouldnt do much except for those hurting now unless theres a complete reform to make college not be the debt hole that it is. you dont wanna do this and then in 10-20 years a whole new generation is dealing with the same shit

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine how people would be surprised about this.

Well that's disappointing.. wtf

Edit: Ok so his response isn't terrible either. He seems to want to prevent future college students from accumulating debt (or at least AS much debt) rather than wiping out debt for current graduates.
student debt forgiveness wouldnt do much except for those hurting now unless theres a complete reform to make college not be the debt hole that it is. you dont wanna do this and then in 10-20 years a whole new generation is dealing with the same shit

No reason why these should be mutually exclusive.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, here we go. Everyone is going to turn against Biden now and Democrats will lose 2022 and 2024.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's not what he said. He isn't for eliminating 50k in student debt via EO. Only for 10k.

That's what I thought, too?

*edit: Yeah, April 9, 2020.
medium.com

Joe Biden Outlines New Steps to Ease Economic Burden on Working People

Two important steps we can take to help ease the economic burden on working people — and that I will take when I am President.

Forgiving student debt for low-income and middle class individuals who have attended public colleges and universities

I've also directed my team to develop a plan to forgive federal student debt relating to the cost of tuition currently held by low-income and middle-class people for undergraduate public colleges and universities, as well as private Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and private, underfunded Minority-Serving Institution (MSIs).

The concept I'm announcing today will align my student debt relief proposal with my forward-looking college tuition proposal. Under this plan, I propose to forgive all undergraduate tuition-related federal student debt from two- and four-year public colleges and universities for debt-holders earning up to $125,000, with appropriate phase-outs to avoid a cliff. The federal government would pay the monthly payment in lieu of the borrower until the forgivable portion of the loan was paid off. This benefit would also apply to individuals holding federal student loans for tuition from private HBCUs and MSIs.

This proposal would be in addition to my existing student debt proposals:

• Immediately cancel a minimum of $10,000 of student debt per person, as proposed by Senator Warren in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.
  • Those earning less than $25,000 per year will not have to make monthly payments and will accrue no interest
  • Those earning more than $25,000 per year will pay no more than 5% of discretionary income toward payments
  • After 20 years, the remainder of federal student loans will be forgiven without any tax burden
  • Those who participate in public service will be eligible for additional federal loan forgiveness, including $10,000 per year of forgiveness for up to five years.
I would finance this new student debt proposal by repealing the high-income "excess business losses" tax cut in the CARES Act. That tax cut overwhelmingly benefits the richest Americans and is unnecessary for addressing the current COVID-19 economic relief efforts.

Nothing he said seems to contradict his earlier position?

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
He should explain why 50000 figure is something not passable by EO, and not deflect by bringing up free college, which is good and all, but not the answer to her questions. 10000 is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.