• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2017

U.S. lawmakers should close loopholes, raise the estate tax and hike the capital-gains tax so that it equals the rate on labour income, Gates wrote Monday in a year-end blog post. He also called for states and local governments to make their taxes "fairer" and reiterated his support for a state income tax in Washington, where he and his wife Melinda live.

"I've been disproportionately rewarded for the work I've done — while many others who work just as hard struggle to get by," he wrote. "That's why I'm for a tax system in which, if you have more money, you pay a higher percentage in taxes. And I think the rich should pay more than they currently do, and that includes Melinda and me."

"But I believe we can make our system fairer without sacrificing the incentive to innovate," he wrote. "Americans in the top 1 per cent can afford to pay a lot more before they stop going to work or creating jobs. In the 1970s, when Paul Allen and I were starting Microsoft, marginal tax rates were almost twice the top rate today. It didn't hurt our incentive to build a great company."

Some people ask Gates why he doesn't just pay extra taxes himself, but that "is not a scalable solution," he wrote. "Additional voluntary giving will never raise enough money for everything the government needs to do."

The Gates foundation had paid out US$50.1 billion in grants as of the end of 2018. Gates defended tax breaks for foundations in his post, writing that "philanthropy is good at managing high-risk projects that government can't take on and corporations won't."

Just ran across this. The last bit is interesting because some people keep clamoring that Billionaires should just give all their money away. I don't agree with that since there needs to be a regular stream of revenue for fiscal responsibility not a huge influx at once since most people in gov't are way too corrupt or stupid to handle it properly.

Oct 27, 2017

Just ran across this. The last bit is interesting because some people keep clamoring that Billionaires should just give all their money away. I don't agree with that since there needs to be a regular stream of revenue for fiscal responsibility not a huge influx at once since most people in gov't are way too corrupt or stupid to handle it properly.
Even if he gave 99.5% of his money, he would be left with 550 million, which is enough for two or three life times I think.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some people ask Gates why he doesn't just pay extra taxes himself, but that "is not a scalable solution," he wrote. "Additional voluntary giving will never raise enough money for everything the government needs to do."

'Why don't you personally give more?"
"Oh that wont help"

Piss weak.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
He's not pushing for anything. Like many billionaires he pays lip service to ideas like this but doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Right now the elite class at the top spend a ton of money pushing to keep the system as it is and they have the power to make that happen. Until people with the power and influence actually make a real concerted push to make things change they won't.

Don't hate on Gates, hate the system. He gives and does a lot through their charity.

And yet he is still sitting on over 100 billion dollars and hasn't really made a dent in his personal fortune. Philanthropy is just a way to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses and relieve the guilt people like this feel over hoarding such insane amounts of wealth whilst so many suffer.

You're right it is the system that i hate but the rich in our society constantly rig that system for themselves. It's no accident that things have gotten the way they are and there's a reason politicians wont do anything about it.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Gates profit from a system that allows him to influence society without having to adhere to the concerns of the people who he tries to serve.

Tax 'em good and high.

"Oh that wont help"

Piss weak.
I thought that response was fair. It is not scalable to rely on the kindness of the rich. Force them to pay. I just hope Gates isn't trying to assist in determining how much his taxes should be raised.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm sorry Bill, but you really have to think about the less fortunate (temporarily embarrassed) billionaires who may only have 1 or 2 billion to call their own. You can afford to that tax hike, Bill. They can't.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry Bill, but you really have to think about the less fortunate (temporarily embarrassed) billionaires who may only have 1 or 2 billion to call their own. You can afford to that tax hike, Bill. They can't.
Thank you for defending me. *tears up* It's so hard as a budding entrepreneur trying to sell programs on how to be a successful entrepreneur.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great - Gates is an important voice in this, hopefully he follows through. He's an advocate for global health, he needs to look inward at what's wrong with his own country now.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He only have those billions because Microsoft has been dodging their taxes for ages.

Charge him with treason and confiscate his money.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh that wont help"

Piss weak.

No, Gates' opinion is 100% right here. For one, he does give a ridiculous amount of his personal wealth. I think him and his wife have committed all of their would-be generational wealth to philanthropy once they die, in addition to running the largest single-person philanthropic foundation in the world (or, at least the largest of the modern billionaires, as opposed to foundations like the Rockefeller Foundation or other foundations setup by wealthy socialites from the Guilded Age)

But, greater point, individual philanthrophy should not be how this should work because it makes imbalanced Democracy by giving unqualified people much more influence over public affairs than they should have. The best example is Zuckerberg. Zuck famously committed millions of dollars to education funding in inner city New Jersey, and in an instant with the stroke of a pen, had more say over curriculum decisions than every parent or educator in those cities. Sure, the cities would be fucking stupid to reject his philanthropy, he was giving millions for computers and technical learning resources, but this isn't how Democracy is supposed to work ... A billionaire Californian is not supposed to be able to make curriculum decisions in a city he's never lived in on the opposite side of the continent. But, that's the way it works today.

Gates is completely right. The problem isn't that he needs to dedicate more of his individual wealth to philanthropic measures (he already does anyway), it's that democratic institutions have to be empowered to be able to disperse more wealth from billionaires like Gates to the public good -- which is what Gates is supporting here.

Also the Gates' foundation is cleverly setup to support initiatives where there is no public infrastructure. Unlike Zuckerberg who is .. giving money to a public school system (something that democratic institutions are already setup to address, even if inadequately in Zuck's opinion), the Gates Foundation focuses on issues where there is no public infrastructure, largely, clean water and sanitation in parts of the world underserved by governments.

Anand Ghirdhadas helped shaped my opinion on billionaire philanthropy. I used to think "Well... it's better than Zuckerberg hoarding all of his wealth," but then my mind started to change after listening to this interview, and after reading his book Ia ctually think it'd be better if the Zucks of the world hoarded their wealth rather than selectively putting their finger on the scale of Democracy with choosey philanthropy.

www.vox.com

Tech billionaires who donate millions are just "bribing society at large," Anand Giridharadas says

Zuckerberg, Bezos, and Gates shouldn’t have an outsize say in how we run our country, Giridharadas says on the latest episode of Recode Decode.

Last edited:

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Wait I thought he said he was against this?

Speaking with the columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin at The New York Times DealBook Conference on Wednesday, Mr. Gates, the Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist whose fortune totals over $100 billion, said that he had paid over $10 billion in taxes and that it would be "fine" if he had to pay $20 billion.

"But, you know, when you say I should pay $100 billion, O.K., then I'm starting to do a little math about what I have left over," he added. "Sorry, I'm just kidding. So you really want the incentive system to be there and you can go a long ways without threatening that."
- NYT Article

So he's always said it was OK if he paid more, then made a joke on how much he was OK with. I would take a guess that this is an attempt to put figures on what is 'fair' and what isn't.

And I guarantee few will agree on what a fair share for the wealthy is.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, Gates' opinion is 100% right here. For one, he does give a ridiculous amount of his personal wealth. I think him and his wife have committed all of their would-be generational wealth to philanthropy once they die, in addition to running the largest single-person philanthropic foundation in the world (or, at least the largest of the modern billionaires, as opposed to foundations like the Rockefeller Foundation or other foundations setup by wealthy socialites from the Guilded Age)

But, greater point, individual philanthrophy should not be how this should work because it makes imbalanced Democracy by giving unqualified people much more influence over public affairs than they should have. The best example is Zuckerberg. Zuck famously committed millions of dollars to education funding in inner city New Jersey, and in an instant with the stroke of a pen, had more say over curriculum decisions than every parent or educator in those cities. Sure, the cities would be fucking stupid to reject his philanthropy, he was giving millions for computers and technical learning resources, but this isn't how Democracy is supposed to work ... A billionaire Californian is not supposed to be able to make curriculum decisions in a city he's never lived in on the opposite side of the continent. But, that's the way it works today.

Gates is completely right. The problem isn't that he needs to dedicate more of his individual wealth to philanthropic measures (he already does anyway), it's that democratic institutions have to be empowered to be able to disperse more wealth from billionaires like Gates to the public good.

Also the Gates' foundation is cleverly setup to support initiatives where there is no public infrastructure. Unlike Zuckerberg who is .. giving money to a public school system (something that democratic institutions are already setup to address, even if inadequately in Zuck's opinion), the Gates Foundation focuses on issues where there is no public infrastructure, largely, clean water and sanitation in parts of the world underserved by governments.
My point that this is just talk from him. As far as I know, he's not putting any of his money toward promoting progressive tax reform, and he's not choosing to actually give more money directly to the federal government.

So to me this is just talk. Until he takes action to actually support tax reform for the wealthy, this is vapour.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Don't hate on Gates, hate the system. He gives and does a lot through their charity.
A lot of charities simply reinforce cycles of poverty without creating a real way for those they are "helping" to empower themselves and their own communities. So when I hear, "It's cool he donates to charities" used to defend someone, I wanna know which charities before that statement will have any impact on how I view them. Otherwise, "donates to charities" = "he has lots of tax write-offs"

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I dont' think he is right.
If he think's he should be taxed more, he should walk the walk.
I disagree. Then we would clearly see the argument, "We do not need to officially raise taxes on the rich because look at Gates! He paid more himself. Let's just let the rich pay more on their own."

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My point that this is just talk from him. As far as I know, he's not putting any of his money toward promoting progressive tax reform, and he's not choosing to actually give more money directly to the federal government.

So to me this is just talk. Until he takes action to actually support tax reform for the wealthy, this is vapour.

I disagree strongly. When billionaires use their billions to affect public policy in areas where democratic institutions exist, it's breaking democracy and making it more brittle... It instantly makes Bill Gates the most powerful person in America, 110-billion times more powerful than you. Why would anybody ever listen to you if Bill Gates can decide to fund the federal budget? He'd become the most powerful person in America in the stroke of a pen and not in his area of expertise, but in something that he arguably knows no more than you or me about (tax policy).

I'd recommend listening to this interview, it changed my mind on this subject. Giridharadas can be a bit of a pompous douche but he makes good points, and it encouraged me to read his book. I find the argument convincing that when tech billionaires donate billions to issues that I even agree with, it's ultimately a bad thing because democratic institutions already exist in those areas and it gives someone undo influence simply by their wealth... That it'd be better if they gave nothing at all and hoarded their money, rather than selectively influence democratic institutions.

www.vox.com

Tech billionaires who donate millions are just "bribing society at large," Anand Giridharadas says

Zuckerberg, Bezos, and Gates shouldn’t have an outsize say in how we run our country, Giridharadas says on the latest episode of Recode Decode.

Instead of donating billions to influence policy, billionaires should voice their concerns with their voices and encourage law-makers to do the right thing. In this case, I think Gates is acting responsibly. Though, like you said, who knows, he may also donate money to candidates who believe in issues like this.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree strongly. When billionaires use their billions to affect public policy in areas where democratic institutions exist, it's breaking democracy and making it more brittle... It instantly makes Bill Gates the most powerful person in America, 110-billion times more powerful than you. Why would anybody ever listen to you if Bill Gates can decide to fund the federal budget? He'd become the most powerful person in America in the stroke of a pen and not in his area of expertise, but in something that he arguably knows no more than you or me about (tax policy).

I'd recommend listening to this interview, it changed my mind on this subject. Giridharadas can be a bit of a pompous douche but he makes good points, and it encouraged me to read his book. I find the argument convincing that when tech billionaires donate billions to issues that I even agree with, it's ultimately a bad thing because democratic institutions already exist in those areas and it gives someone undo influence simply by their wealth... That it'd be better if they gave nothing at all and hoarded their money, rather than selectively influence democratic institutions.

www.vox.com

Instead of donating billions to influence policy, billionaires should voice their concerns with their voices and encourage law-makers to do the right thing. In this case, I think Gates is acting responsibly. Though, like you said, who knows, he may also donate money to candidates who believe in issues like this.
You make good points. Though yes, I would still like to see him point some funding towards progressive cantidates.

5qD9FUE.gif

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
A lot of charities simply reinforce cycles of poverty without creating a real way for those they are "helping" to empower themselves and their own communities. So when I hear, "It's cool he donates to charities" used to defend someone, I wanna know which charities before that statement will have any impact on how I view them. Otherwise, "donates to charities" = "he has lots of tax write-offs"
Eradicating polio in poor countries and developing something as simple as a waterless toilet is alot IMO. That't the kind of stuff his foundation is aiming for, i think it's a good way to make a difference

OP
OP
Punjabi_Hitman
Nov 30, 2017
Well I could use a million or two.

Or he could fund schools so no student debt would be necessary.
Or purchase medical debt.
And a long list of etcetera

Student loan debt is at 1.5 Trillion won't even cover a tenth of it. Current cost of medical care in US is 3.3 trillion per year. Yah he not gonna cover that either. Lets say he covered that, what about next year, or the year after that and so on?

Status
Not open for further replies.