• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo Co. is retreating from the $77 billion mobile gaming arena after disappointing results deflated once-lofty ambitions, ending a multiyear effort just as the market goes through an unprecedented Covid-era boom.

President Shuntaro Furukawa proclaimed two years ago that smartphone games would be a $1 billion business with growth potential, building on his predecessor's promise that Nintendo would release two to three mobile titles each year. That spurred hopes among investors that the gaming powerhouse could carve out a substantial slice of the market. In May, however, the president adopted a markedly different tune, saying "We are not necessarily looking to continue releasing many new applications for the mobile market."

Nintendo's shares slid 4% the day after that remark. Close observers might have sensed Nintendo was growing disillusioned with the mobile realm even earlier. Its smartphone games project was born out of necessity to shore up the bottom line amid the Wii U's failure. Now, riding a surge in Switch popularity and investor confidence, the Kyoto-based company appears to have reassessed the mobile business and narrowed its focus to its own console ecosystem.

uF2Q8Zg.png

www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo Chills Mobile Ambitions After Animal Crossing Success

Nintendo Co. is retreating from the $77 billion mobile gaming arena after disappointing results deflated once-lofty ambitions, ending a multiyear effort just as the market goes through an unprecedented Covid-era boom.

Dec 23, 2017
I'm okay with it. I hope they put the money and effort towards something good for the hottest selling gaming platform out right now.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I've enjoyed the hell out of Pokemon Go, but that's the only one that really grabbed me (and that's more Pokemon Company than Nintendo). Heard good things about the Mario mobile game. Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia I've heard make money but don't seem necessarily fun?

Glad this means they'll be focusing more on their console efforts.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Checking myself as a service to others: When Bloomberg says 'mobile gaming' they mean 'iOS and Android apps', not 'handheld gaming devices'.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They only went into mobile because their console future was uncertain, and when the Switch was successful, mobile got reduced in importance for them. It's not surprising if they're not setting the mobile world on fire.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real here: The mobile games and QoL projects were only ever a distraction to keep the shareholders off their backs until they could release another successful platform and take the Wii U out behind the woodshed.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mobile gaming is very competitive with Nintendo's target audience. This is not a surprise.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like they made no real effort in the mobile phone market so I'm not surprised.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if they didn't pull crap like Mario Kart tours fake online players and atrocious season passes they could of fared a bit better

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I'm selfishly glad because I dislike mobile gaming and want them to focus all their talents on the Switch.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's a shame everyone ignored Mario Run. It was a one-off payment which people claim to want, except when it came to it nobody did. BUT, the game itself is legit excellent.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Except they aren't retreating. They just confirmed that you shouldn't expect much more from them....are probably happy with couple games they have on there - everything else will be on Switch.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's a shame everyone ignored Mario Run. It was a one-off payment which people claim to want, except when it came to it nobody did. BUT, the game itself is legit excellent.

Wasn't it like $10? That's enough to send an app to die no matter who's name is slapped on it, Mario proves it himself.

A more interesting approach would just be to launch the NES and SNES Switch apps as mobile apps for subscribers. Or do an "Arcade pass" that grants you premiums across all their mobile games.

overall though I don't care for them so Id be happy if this were a retreat altogether

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Dragalia isn't out in Europe (outside of the UK and Irelande for some reason).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Wasn't it like $10? That's enough to send an app to die no matter who's name is slapped on it, Mario proves it himself.

They dropped it to $5 for ages and it barely did anything. Almost every comment on the app store's page was about how Nintendo were greedy and it should be free.

Square sell a lot of games on mobile for more than $10, I wonder how well those do..

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This makes me quite happy. I've always thought it was a mistake for them to produce what they did on mobile, since most of their was pretty lackluster. Hopefully, the resources that they were allocating towards mobile development can be used to push out even more Switch / Switch 2 content.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I bought the Mario Run DLC and have yet to even play it. I occasionally play Dr. Mario but the line integration makes me want to Uninstall it.
The others I have yet to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.