• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
A large corporation CEO (and other executives) almost never stay onboard outside of a contract reason (1 year logistic changeover).

I mean from his standpoint, it would be a huge pay cut to stay on and not try to become a CEO elsewhere.

This is why they get huge payouts as a contract clause for buyouts, because from the CEO's view, he is losing years of "bonuses", on top of increasing shareholder value with a purchase.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
s8CDB1s.gif

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The payday from this deal alone he could probably be set for life with the money he already has probably 10 lifetimes.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure he will have a nice golden parachute on the way out, but it's the only way he was ever leaving lol.

Be glad once he's gone, here's hoping for some real change at ActiBliz.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
It is clear by now that he will not continue at the company after the deal closes.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That doesn't sound like a comment from someone who's staying, especially when his new boss has been critical of him before.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
He stayed this long only to make this. Sell the company for a shit ton of money. I don't think he gives a fuck about staying there anymore, plus he doesn't have to deal with internal problems at Activision Blizzard.

The biggest winner out of all this situation.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not for free. He didn't get kicked out, he got payed a lot probably. Small percentage numbers of this deal lands him several million dollars. Example: 0.5% equals 35M.

Not how I wanted to se Bobby go
Not how anyone did, but there's literally no other way for him TO go other than Activision to spontaneously implode and cease to exist.

It's weird to see people like "MS IS PAYING HIM MONEY" like...no matter how the future went, Bobby was not leaving without getting paid bigtime.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not for free. He didn't get kicked out, he got payed a lot probably. Small percentage numbers of this deal lands him several million dollars. Example: 0.5% equals 35M.

Not how I wanted to se Bobby go
There was no other way. Unless he was caught doing embezzlement or some shit like that, being let go from Activision the normal way would still net him around 250M.

May 17, 2018
I hope, if I ever get fired from my job for being an awful POS, that I also get billions of dollars for it on my way out.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
He stayed this long only to make this. Sell the company for a shit ton of money. I don't think he gives a fuck about staying there anymore, plus he doesn't have to deal with internal problems at Activision Blizzard.

Bobby was a rich bastard before this and he'll be one after too.

The biggest winners, IMO, are the studios that will hopefully be allowed to be creative again.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The payday from this deal alone he could probably be set for life with the money he already has probably 10 lifetimes.
So yes, this is true. There is no outcome to this story where Kotick is not set for life and profits handsomely from all his abuse. But the real goal of the pressure against Activision leadership is to create a better environment for Activision employees. It is to end the abusive and toxic workplace structures that have hurt Activision and Blizzard for years.

While hurting the people responsible for these years of abuse would certainly be ideal, the goal was not to destroy Bobby Kotick. It was to create a better workplace for Activision employees. While we may lament that powerful people never get what they deserve, we can still celebrate people being freed from their influence.

I wish there was an outcome where Kotick and all the people like him suffered genuine consequences for what they'd done. But for now we should not lose sight of what is still possible from here — and that's a better future for all the people who had to work under his leadership.

(This isn't to say you aren't keeping this in mind already, just what I think it's good for everyone to focus on.)

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

This is exactly why he wasn't removed earlier by the Board as this deal was already months in the planning. This basically was his "exit" and was a more "valuable" option for the Board by a long shot unfortunately for the employees.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's gonna get moved to like an advisory role for a year or two that's largely ceremonial and then will be gone.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
There was no scenario where Kotick wouldnt leave with a lot of money. And he already got a lot of money. The important thing is him being gone and work conditions getting better for the employees at actiblizz.

Status
Not open for further replies.