• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Bobby Kotick will remain as Activision Blizzard CEO after Microsoft announcement | VGC

The Xbox company confirms that the controversial exec will keep his current role…

A statement by the Xbox company confirmed that Kotick will not leave his role as a result of the newly announced buyout.

"Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company's culture and accelerate business growth," the statement reads.

"Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming."

Fuck this shit, Kick all the abusers out.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Booooooooooo

Edit: I guess there's a chance that he's gone once the merge is complete

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
If true, that's incredibly disappointing, but there's also a chance of this being the case:

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is going to report to Phil once it clears which is estimated June of next year. Chances are he'll be out when the deal finalizes. Sadly with a big payout most likely.

Jan 16, 2019
Like some people already talk about this.
This is just a basic dealing tactics, he will "remain in position" - because he will refuse to go in disgrace (fired).
But when the deal is done, Microsoft will likely give him some big check so he can "retire".

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
That seems like a lot of corporate speak of "We can't do anything until the deal is done" and I don't think he would be staying after that

Not that it matters that much because he's going to get a good check from that 70b deal and another one after being fired

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It's important for people to realize that people staying on for a period of time is part of the acquisition process.
There's a clause in my contract saying if my company gets bought out, I don't get any share payout unless I stay for 6 months - or per the terms of the acquisition.

Do you think Bobby gets his shares today? No he doesn't. He gets them when things are settled in 6-12 months.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Ehh I dunno, it could be just temporary until the deal is closed and they do a clean house.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
I think the announcement is very clear when it says that everyone will report to Microsoft Gaming CEO when the deal is finished. Kotick will stay until the merger is complete.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
At minimum he will be neutered as he has to answer to Phil.
Others have posted, his termination clause is a payout of $292 million dollars

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Phil can learn all about Activision Blizzards business in minutes, that's why he can justify to the board spending that many billions on an acquisition and not keeping Kotick to help with the transition.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
He was absolutely staying on until after this deal has been officially cleared.

It's what happens when it is done that needs to be kept an eye on.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely he is gone after the merger is complete.

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
I think he's gone after the deal is finalized. There will be a transition period and he'll probably be paid out.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
We have to see what happens after it finsihes the deal, you dont kick out the CEO 15 min in but yeah if he stays long term that'll be some shit

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't legally allowed to do anything until the deal closes and there is no way Bobby is going to go until he extracts as much money for himself as he can.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
He's out once the dust settles. You don't announce someone being forced out at the same time you make this kind of acquisition.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying this will it won't happen because I don't know, but this article is an incorrect interpretation of the quote given that MS does not own ATVI now and won't for another year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is normal.

You don't remove well established executives in mergers. They stay on. May not permanent obviously, but they usually have contract that they must adhere to.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's wording doesn't say what the thread title and article title say it does.

There's no way Kotick stays once the deal closes. No fucking way.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
He'll be gone once the dust settles obviously. I don't think this is anything to worry about aside from him making an amazing amount of bank before leaving.

Oct 28, 2017
Business decision and it makes sense. These corporate roles (including with how Bobby's contract is probably structured) takes time to oust him. MS isn't dumb and have been pushing for a friendly corporate face since the late 00s.

Everyone needs to cool their jets. This stuff will take a year to complete anyway.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is going to report to Phil once it clears which is estimated June of next year. Chances are he'll be out when the deal finalizes. Sadly with a big payout most likely.
Where did you get this June date? 18 months is a LONG time, but also I have not read much reporting around acquisitions of this size because acquisitions of this size are fairly rare.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
He will stay until the deal is completed.

After that he will leave, there's no way they are keeping him.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up...

This was the main silver lining I was hoping from this was he would be out....

He was absolutely staying on until after this deal has been officially cleared.

It's what happens when it is done that needs to be kept an eye on.
Hopefully temporary. There is normally logistics to navigate with deals like this.
Yeah, lots of emotions are flying around right now. Everyone take a deep breath...lol.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
mountain meet molehill
MS legally cant make those moves until they own Activision, but its clear by statements that Phil will be the one and only CEO and Kotick will be gone, this will not be a co-exist system like under Bethesda

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
vHKm1Tk.png

It'll cost $292 million to get rid of Kotick.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
can't believe people thought there was any scenario where MS showering money over activision wouldn't lead to a situation where bobby gets massively paid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bobby remaining CEO until the merger isn't surprising. The wording of what happens afterward is the vague part and could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of him because in the end he still "wins" (gets paid).

Status
Not open for further replies.