• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
EBGbV1VXoAAksw9.jpg:large

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They will not because it's only a place for "toxic breeding grounds". Epic doesn't care to host forums even for fortnite. I'm waiting for the UE Forums to be shuttered because honestly Epic's trash at keeping that undercheck too.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Steam forums are incredibly useful, if go to the first page of the Discussion page I usually find my solution. If I Google my problem I also end up there as well.

Shame on Epic.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
This trend of broken AAA games at launch will never end. And it seems people will never learn to wait and never pre-order before legit info about performance is out there.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
They also use Gearbox forums, Reddit and other forums/social networks because there are a lot of them on the Internet

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
This trend of broken AAA games at launch will never end. And it seems people will never learn to wait and never pre-order before legit info about performance is out there.

Its not about learning. People know that every major release will launch in a sub-optimal state, or at the very least in a state much worse than the game will end up in after several patch tranches. People accept that reality so that they can play on launch.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

I mean, that is tangentially related to this topic at best. This isn't a discussion on the technical issues of BL3, but rather that BL3 players are using Steam forums to discuss a game that isn't even on Steam because Epic bought exclusivity for their store which is sorely lacking in features.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
There are official forums, reddit forums, fansite forums, this site's threads. And all of them are better than the shitshow that are the Steam Forums. This is just grasping at straws imo.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Its not about learning. People know that every major release will launch in a sub-optimal state, or at the very least in a state much worse than the game will end up in after several patch tranches. People accept that reality so that they can play on launch.

I usually do this with AAA single player games, but anything that's online or MP I tend to wait as they almost ALWAYS have issues at launch. Only reason I didn't wait with Gears 5 was because it was available through Game Pass. I still haven't picked up BL3 precisely because the performance issues noted in reviews were a red flag for me.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There are official forums, reddit forums, fansite forums, this site's threads. And all of them are better than the shitshow that are the Steam Forums. This is just grasping at straws imo.
You are correct, support for BL3 is not available on the Steam forums. For other games though, the Steam forums are awesome.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
There are official forums, reddit forums, fansite forums, this site's threads. And all of them are better than the shitshow that are the Steam Forums. This is just grasping at straws trying to be mad at something, acting as if there's no place to talk about the game and its potential problems, just because the store doesn't have a forum.

Where did i say the users are using ONLY Steam forums and that there is no place to talk about the game and its problems?

Steam forums are a shitshow but they are way more useful than a lot of dedicated forums, also, they are always the first result when you are looking from problems in Google.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not suprising to see. Forums will always be useful for finding help with technical issues. There's no way around that.

source.gif

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Mixed feelings; I'd honestly rather everything was kept on Steam forums as it's a one stop shop for looking for issues.

Based Valve give us the ability to create forums for games that aren't out yet, and then attach them to the game once there is a store page lol

Beyond that.. yes it's ironic.. it was ironic the first 100 times this concept has been pointed out. Perhaps a "EGS does not have a foum feature |OT|" would be a good place to have this repetitive discussion? lol

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
No they are not better cause other external sites require creating accounts for every one of them, while on steam you just use your account for your 100+ games library. I'm not making a gearbox account, a cdpr account, a bethesda account etc etc just to fix my broken games.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Steam forums are toxic, it's good Epic doesn't have them"

I dunno maybe try to fucking improve on the Steam forums and come up with a better solution instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I have a problem with a PC game a lot of times I get the solution on Steam forums. I never ever saw a problem solved on reddit and other more general forums, might as well say that they should go to gamefaqs for answers, it would be as useful.

I understand that Steam forums is usually a bad place, but for troubleshooting (or even guides to solve troubleshooting) is the best place.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
"Steam forums are toxic, it's good Epic doesn't have them"

I dunno maybe try to fucking improve on the Steam forums and come up with a better solution instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water
Why should they when Fortnite doesn't have forums either.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like 50% are looking for help and the other 50% are EGS trolls trying to bait others into bans. Basically like some Era threads

Plum

May 31, 2018

Official forums have lower traffic and complaints on a wide level can easily be taken down by the management as to not make the game look bad.
Reddit is Reddit. If you can even find an active Subreddit you have to contend with crappy answers, terrible search functions, and rules that often disallow many of the right posts to be made.
Fansite forums are, again, much lower traffic.
ResetEra requires a paid email account

None of those alternatives are as good as the Steam forums which have high traffic, easy search functions, a focus on troubleshooting, and a community more likely to give an actual answer than most others. The majority of PC troubleshooting happens on the Steam forums for a reason, and it's not because Steam fanboys want to help Valve's monopoly or anything like that.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Gave a read. At least half of them are trolls, as expected and honestly I suspect way more than that are not legit.

As said above, this is very dumb in too many ways

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I can't blame people for not using the official Gearbox forums. Couldn't believe how assholeish some of those mods were after the disastrous launch of Borderlands 1 on PC. I'd never go there again.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Steam Forums are great for tech support since the answer or solution could be flagged and shown in the OP rather than having to sift through the noise. Most game/developer forums don't have this and they don't show up when I Google an issue.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Sure you can use that, but Steam forums are way more useful than developers forum and they are always the ones that appear quickly on google if you need help about something.

Google: "borderlands 2 low fps" and the first result is a thread from Steam forums.
Yeah, but google problems with borderlands 3 and reddit is the first thing that comes up.
Actually reddit seems to be the place most searches direct me to. Does that mean steam forums are useless because people gravitate to reddit for forum needs?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Official forums have lower traffic and complaints on a wide level can easily be taken down by the management as to not make the game look bad.
Reddit is Reddit. If you can even find an active Subreddit you have to contend with crappy answers, terrible search functions, and rules that often disallow many of the right posts to be made.

None of those alternatives are as good as the Steam forums which have high traffic, easy search functions, a focus on troubleshooting, and a community more likely to give an actual answer than most others. The majority of PC troubleshooting happens on the Steam forums for a reason, and it's not because Steam fanboys want to help Valve's monopoly or anything like that.
Just in case it's of any use for people reading this, PCgaming wiki is a pretty good resource for this kind of stuff.

Although due to it's nature, it's sometimes not as quick as things like forum posts, because it's presenting all the relevant information in a conveniently formatted manner, whereas forum posts are more of a free for all.

Although it's quite telling that a lot of the solutions on PCgaming wiki are links to stuff from Steam forums, because that's often where the initial discussion resulting in a solution for bugs etc takes place.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but google problems with borderlands 3 and reddit is the first thing that comes up.
Actually reddit seems to be the place most searches direct me to. Does that mean steam forums are useless because people gravitate to reddit for forum needs?
Well, if you think about it, that because there are no Borderlands 3 forums on Steam. Doesn't stop people shitting up the Borderlands 2 forums though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's wrong with the Steam forums nowadays? They are always fine by my experience.
Only people who don't use Steam forums that'd say something like that.

There's a reason why most game-related questions are showing Steam forums (and Reddit) on the top Google search results nowadays.

But yes, there are toxic users there, undeniably. But which place in the Internet that doesn't have them? Even Era is not free from toxicity. If you look for them, you'll find them anywhere.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017

Well, no shit if you google Borderlands 3 and problems you won't get direct to Steam forums BECAUSE THE GAME DOES NOT HAVE A PAGE ON STEAM

lol

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Shows you how worthless the "just a launcher" argument is.
Epic isn't serving their customers. Features fucking matter.

I don't know who handles the Borderlands forums on Steam, but all Borderlands 3 troubleshooting discussion should be deleted. Create a support ticket with Epic/2K if you need help.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

All really good points!

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Well, no shit if you google Borderlands 3 and problems you won't get direct to Steam forums BECAUSE THE GAME DOES NOT HAVE A PAGE ON STEAM

lol
Well, if you think about it, that because there are no Borderlands 3 forums on Steam. Doesn't stop people shitting up the Borderlands 2 forums though.
Yeah but the argument was that of course people will use steam forums for BL3 because when you google BL2 low fps, it directs you there.....

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Klei is the only company I can think of with a good official forum and even then I find most of the answers if DST is giving me problems on the Steam forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.