• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Oscar Isaac has suggested that Disney bosses were not on board with including a major same-sex romance in Star Wars.

The actor played Poe in the sequel trilogy, and had expressed support for fans who wanted his character to get together with John Boyega's Finn.

However, the romance was never explored in the trilogy, which concluded with recent film The Rise of Skywalker.

Oscar Isaac: The Disney overlords were not ready

The decision leaves LGBT+ representation in the saga confined to a kiss between two unnamed background characters that was edited out in markets with homophobic laws.

The kiss was removed from an edit of the film shown in Singapore and Middle Eastern markets due to local laws banning depictions of homosexuality.

A spokesperson for Singapore's Infocomm Media Development Authority confirmed: "The applicant has omitted a brief scene which under the Film Classification Guidelines would require a higher rating."

Disney has declined to clarify which markets the kiss was removed in – though it did air to audiences in China.

Kiss was meant to show 'everyone is welcome'

Director JJ Abrams defended the scene in an interview with MovieZine. "It just felt like in this one scene of celebration, it felt like an opportunity to show [an LGBT kiss] without it being heavy-handed or making too loud of a deal," he explained.

"Part of the whole experience was to see a same-sex couple have a moment together that was explicitly saying in this galaxy, everyone is there and is welcome."

He continued: "It doesn't matter your sexual preference, your race, your species, whether you're organic, whether you're synthetic – Star Wars is for everyone.

"And knowing that there hadn't been a representation like that, it doesn't take away from anyone. It just shows that Star Wars is for all of us."

Speaking to IGN, Oscar Isaac blamed Disney execs for the handling of the issue.

He said: "I think there could've been a very interesting, forward-thinking… not even forward-thinking, just, like, current-thinking love story there, something that hadn't quite been explored yet – particularly the dynamic between these two men in war that could've fallen in love with each other.

"I would try to push it a bit in that direction, but the Disney overlords were not ready to do that."

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Was there anything in the actual movies (specifically TLJ) that suggested Finn and Poe actually were a thing or was this fan shipping gone wild?

That said Disney/RoS' response to this by giving Finn and Poe really poorly developed love interest storylines was stupid.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Was there anything in the actual movies (specifically TLJ) that suggested Finn and Poe actually were a thing or was this fan shipping gone wild?

That said Disney/RoS' response to this by giving Finn and Poe really poorly developed love interest storylines was stupid.

It was a fan ship that grew wildly out of control but Oscar Isaac was on board with and supported the idea.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Finn and Poe hang out way more than Finn and Rey did or Poe and the new action figure design

or maybe not, but that's what it felt like to me. Outside of 7 Finn doesn't get to hang out with Rey like at all but he and Poe always do something together each movie

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Gross comment" aka he made a joke about sex?

It was crude, but I don't think it was "gross" in the way I think OP was implying.

I do find it hilarious that him and Isaac are getting shit when people like Robert Pattinson are loved for talking trash about Twilight. I wonder why.......

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I don't get what's wrong with the FinnPoe line he said. It was up to Disney unless I missed a prior statement? That stated, his line about piping Rey is a bit crude/yikes but nothing major. And he did not need to spoil the movie for some even though it was obvious conclusion but still.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Boyega is just burning all the bridges. Straight up posting screenshots from a pirated version of TRoS. Nice.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Finn and Poe hang out way more than Finn and Rey did or Poe and the new action figure design

or maybe not, but that's what it felt like to me. Outside of 7 Finn doesn't get to hang out with Rey like at all but he and Poe always do something together each movie

don't get me wrong I thought Finn's feelings for Rey were just as poorly developed, as were most things in RoS.

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how many people have been going out of there way to find any way to try to shit on John Boyega as of late. Shit is so fucking transparent....

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It was crude, but I don't think it was "gross" in the way I think OP was implying.

I do find it hilarious that him and Isaac are getting shit when people like Robert Pattinson are loved for talking trash about Twilight. I wonder why.......

Sounds about white.

Between this and that one thread about Boyega criticizing how Finn was used in TLJ, people really are tripping over themselves to avoid throwing out an "uppity negro" accusation.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting way worse than that "gross" comment...

Also Finn/Poe would have been an awesome relationship but disney are a bunch of chickenshits.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
People can't even make jokes about sex anymore? This world.
"Gross comment" aka he made a joke about sex?

literally nothing wrong with that comment

There's potentially a dignified way to say this. This wasn't it.

He's just sexualizing her.

It's still gross. It's just calling a duck a duck.

There are varying degrees of gross, you know.

Yeah, I was expecting much worse.

I mean....what did I imply? All I said in the title was that it's gross, lol.

I read the last comment in that thread. It said it was okay to make it provided there was more in it. That said, I wouldn't have opened this thread if I realized there people talking about in the other thread though.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My headcanon is still that Rey, Finn, and Poe are in a poly relationship.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boyega has a history of crude comments about the Finn/Rey ship, even after his character was given a love interest (Rose) in TLJ and then arguably a second one (Jannah) in TROS.

I won't read between the lines any further than that.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't get what's wrong with the FinnPoe line he said. It was up to Disney unless I missed a prior statement? That stated, his line about piping Rey is a bit crude/yikes but nothing major. And he did not need to spoil the movie for some even though it was obvious conclusion but still.
Are people misunderstanding this one?

There's nothing wrong with that from what I know.

There's only one gross comment and it's the laying pipe thing.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, John doesn't give a fuck. He is posting a massive spoiler image from a cam rip of the movie he's in.

FUCKING WILD lol

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I looked up laying pipe on Wookiepedia and I think Boyega was just making reference to Alanciari construction techniques

Alanciari construction was done in materials such as wood, alabaster, brick, and concrete, sometimes coated with paint. Their architecture featured courtyards, balconies, and stairs. They installed warning sirens in virtually every settlement; the sirens worked by funneling steam through enormous pipes made of glass.

Very canny albeit non-canon reference!

itchy-and-scratchy-1.jpg

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds about white.

Between this and that one thread about Boyega criticizing how Finn was used in TLJ, people really are tripping over themselves to avoid throwing out an "uppity negro" accusation.
Yeah, I've definitely noticed how people are trying to get at him now that he actually acknowledged having problems with TLJ.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more about the inherent sexualisation and objectification of a colleague that people are finding gross.

Romantic attraction and sharing a kiss doesn't mean anything, it's the fucking that matters. It's pretty crass as far as jokes go.
Of a colleague?
he's talking about a fictional character lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.