• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's not what the tweet says at all.

Brad is talking about the gaming industry in general.

Mod needs to change the thread title.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
They'll buy Asobo eventually, but I doubt it will cost them that much. Based on rumors about how Dying Light 2 is going, Microsoft probably doesn't want to touch Techland right now.

For a big acquisition, I'm going to say Avalanche Studios -- solid dev, lots of open-world experience, but their stuff never sells that well, so they might welcome the investment/Microsoft taking the pressure off.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
With the I.P stuff and bids I thought he meant licensing I.Ps to developers like what Disney is doing currently with their I.Ps but how it is worded it feels more so about acquiring people with I.Ps instead and the value of I.Ps in the industry rising.

Talks happen but they don't sometimes lead to actual buyouts, look at that Nintendo bit we learnt about a week ago.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the tweet doesn't say it's microsoft?
this seems pretty vague, and could be referring to anybody.

also OP you can embed the tweet by clicking on "media" (next to photo).

Asobo, Bloober and Splash Damage are the ones that jump to mind. Am I missing anybody?
splash damage is part of leyou, which was recently bought by tencent.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those tweets don't definitely mean Microsoft.

They're probably involved at the very least, given Sams' history of reporting, but it's not a sure thing when he mentions companies plural.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Pretty clear its industry wide, with Codemasters and Bethedsa being the biggest things purchases in less than 4 months.
And with Embracer embracing nearly everything in sight at the moment, plus with Google, Apple, Amazon, Sony, MS etc everyone else currently looking, its going to be going on for a long time.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They'll buy Asobo eventually, but I doubt it will cost them that much. Based on rumors about how Dying Light 2 is going, Microsoft probably doesn't want to touch Techland right now.

For a big acquisition, I'm going to say Avalanche Studios -- solid dev, lots of open-world experience, but their stuff never sells that well, so they might welcome the investment/Microsoft taking the pressure off.

Avalanche Group was acquired by Nordisk Film in 2018

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet doesn't mention MS, but it's entirely obvious that they're continually assessing studios that they either work with such as Asobo or are interested in and need to offer the right price for. So what Brad says (or implies) is kinda obvious despite it not directly mentioning MS.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
I was hoping MS gets Otherside Entertainment so System Shock 3 be safe, alas Tencent got them and we haven't heard from System Shock 3 since.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
the tweet doesn't say it's microsoft?
this seems pretty vague, and could be referring to anybody.

also OP you can embed the tweet by clicking on "media" (next to photo).

splash damage is part of leyou, which was recently bought by tencent.
Tencent owns Splash Damage
A company being owned by another company doesn't mean they can't be purchased... they just have to make a deal with the owner.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
Every industry acquisition/consolidation thread is the same. Not really thread worthy imo unless it's concrete. That tweet isn't.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Can Ms stop with these acquisitions? They have plenty of studios
DKENJ6z.gif

Oct 27, 2017
All the warchest memes coming home to roost.

Will be interesting to see who buys who and who buys what. Microsoft is definitely in position to outbid almost anyone if they choose to do so, of course.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
After reading this tweet twice it's not just about MS acquisitions. I'd guess that Google, Apple and Amazon are entering the fray

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
During this gen, the Xbox was heavily accused of not having exclusive game, specially considering how well the playstation games did in the same timeframe, Now Microsoft is throwing money at the problem to quickly catch up, but i do wonder, with how much money they are moving, can this come back to bite them?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't get the connection directly related to Microsoft unless this guy only reports on Microsoft news?

Can Ms stop with these acquisitions? They have plenty of studios
They'll keep shoveling dirt until the "no games" meme is 6ft under

Bethesda is really the only major one so far that got some movement it seems. No disrespect to the other studios but to make headlines sadly this is the only way to get much needed attention and to put up a good fight.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's another talented dev. Asobo seems top notch and MS needs more Japanese devs too. get them MS before Amazon, Google , Apple or Tencent.

Status
Not open for further replies.