• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
I know, it's absolutely outrageous to not like a game many like, but it really is.

But I have about 10 hours logged in the game, on my 3rd attempt to play this, and so far, all the game has been nothing but walking around grassy fields or a desert, and wacking the same goblins over and over. Each of these shrines I found are all just variations of the same 3 puzzles.

I don't get why people like this as much as they do, especially on Era. Reading on Era about it, the message usually is that its lack of constant interesting content makes you value what it has. Like, you get excited that you find a shrine because you haven't found anything else for the past half hour. I''d think a McDonalds meal is great if I haven't eaten anything for a day either. I'd understand if these shrines were super interesting, but they all look the same and end the same.

Why would want to walk around virtual grassy fields for 30 minutes just to find a sword that breaks in 5 hits and climb Ubisoft towers? Not even Ubisoft does Ubisoft towers anymore.

It surprises me doubly, considering how often this site complains about open-world games and open-world games with nothing in 'em; But those games usually have tons of story, missions, objectives compared to this. Yet this game has barely any noteable content. A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were all far more interesting experiences with varied puzzles, enemy encounters, story encounters, characters, writing.

It's not even like the immersive sim aspects are that interesting, as most enemies are monster and only react two ways, unlike in other systems-driven games like Metal Gear Solid V. And there isn't any building or co-op fun like there would be in Rust or Arc Survival Evolved either to bridge the half hour of nothingness.

I got so bored that I just ended up watching the cutscenes on YouTube, so that I don't have to waltz through the entire game and prepare me for Breath of the Wild 2, which I hope has more story, content, enemies and real dungeons.

I don't think ever felt such a great dissonnance with the game's general reception and myself since Splinter Cell Conviction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
To call it the most boring ever in your life tells me this is hyperbole and you're looking for a heck of a response op.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There are no Ubisoft towers in the game.

You clearly don't like the game, just sell it. If you want to know why people like it, I believe there's an article or two on the internet, or even a video.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
You can at least give it a minute to pretend you read the OP
Eh. The OP has an obviously provocative title and even starts with a silly "I'm not allowed to state an opposing opinion, right" statement. There's a dicussion to be had about these things, but when you choose to frame your opinion like this, you can't be angry that some people might not feel like you are worth engaging with.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You have to bring something to Breath of the Wild. The game doesn't push your back to tell you where the content is, it pushes against you to force you to be creative. But in order for that to work, you have to be somewhat self motivated, and if you aren't feeling that motivation, the game isn't for you.

But don't worry. I really didn't like God of War 2018 and thought it was boring, so we all have our things.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's the epitome of "I wonder if I can.." with one of the few games in the genre that actually delivers it to a creative and imaginative degree. The first time I cooked an apple by dropping it near a fire, I tried dipping my arrow in and it caught alight. Shoot an arrow from a tree with that fire arrow and voila! cooked apple. I didn't expect it, but it rewarded me for my curiosity.

That same satisfaction for hours.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
You're not wrong. The combat, story and shrines aren't compelling. The world is wonderfully crafted but the interesting places just gives you seeds. It's a boring game once the novelty wears off.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The thing you do in the first 10 hours are pretty similar to what you do in the next 40 hours minus maybe the divine beasts and the castle (which is like 5 hours of content max). There isn't memorable side quests or fun loot to look for. There's only a bunch of shrines blasted all over the map to find and a non existent main story to chase.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Apparently, change in Zelda formula = no content.

The game has a massive amount of content. If you don't have the imagination to enjoy the world and exploration, you can always just go back to the traditional Zelda's.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game isn't for you. Doesn't mean it's not good. People rave about RDR2, but i hated it. That was a boring ass game for me.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Want an award or something? You've played 10 hours of the game, that's it. I honestly doubt you've gone through a quarter of the map.

Nov 3, 2017
Eh. The OP has an obviously provocative title and even starts with a silly "I'm not allowed to state an opposing opinion, right" statement. There's a dicussion to be had about these things, but when you choose to frame your opinion like this, you can't be angry that some people might not feel like you are worth engaging with.

I mean considering all the replies that just instantly dismiss him for not liking this I think it's fair to start off on the defensive, especially on here where if you don't like it you're wrong lmao

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Yes there is... You climb towers to update your map.
BotW's towers reveal a barebones map of the area, Ubisoft towers reveal dozens of points of interest. That's the big difference. BotW doesn't tell you "GO HERE TO FIND SOMETHING", but lets you discover everything naturally.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if OP played ten hours and genuinely didn't get anything from the experience, I think he did his time and gave it a fair shake. I found so much in the first hour that captured my imagination, nevermind ten hours, but if OP doesn't dig it then fair enough.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing you do in the first 10 hours are pretty similar to what you do in the next 40 hours minus maybe the divine beasts and the castle (which is like 5 hours of content max). There isn't memorable side quests or fun loot to look for. There's only a bunch of shrines blasted all over the map to find and a non existent main story to chase.

I must be playing a different BOTW then because there is ton of fun loot and side quests to do. The fuckin island where you have all your shit taken away was stellar. Getting the master sword was stellar. Like come the fuck on.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. Even critically acclaimed games aren't for everyone. Any GTA bores me to tears personally. So I get it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice bait thread. Gotta love the hyperbole.
This thread wasn't created to promote meaningful discussion.
Pretty much. I also love this new narrative that only Era is supposed to be some hype echo-chamber for BotW when the whole gaming press went absolutely crazy on it and it caused some sort of stampede at E3. But yeah, only on Era do people like this super boring game.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its kind of weird seeing people pretend like the game at 10 hours suddenly is drastically different much later on. The idea that botw was sparse in its content isnt exactly a new idea, its almost like people have different opinions

Reading on Era about it, the message usually is that its lack of constant interesting content makes you value what it has, which just reads like Stockhold Syndrome to me

This is a bad take

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I think the big problem with your post is that you don't just focus on what you dislike about it, and instead talk about how you don't understand how others like it.

I have my fair share of games that people seem to love on a broader scale that I don't really care for (Most of the MGS series, Nier: Automata, GoW 2018, Most Uncharted games, etc.) and I could list reasons why I don't like them, but I will never fault or question somebody else for liking those games either. That's just not how it works and it doesn't promote quality discussion at all. It just comes across as being kind of a jerk.

I also just stop playing games I dislike. It's pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.