• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When Disney announced in 2015 it was giving Mulan a live-action remake, fans probably didn't expect to have to wait five years to see it. But since Disney began work on
adapting the beloved 1998 animated classic, it's hit multiple snags in development. And now, Mulan
is facing yet another setback on its journey to the big screen, because the studio has decided the 2020 movie needs some major reshoots.

This was almost immediately debunked:

maybe not?

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is definitely a pretty rough rumor. If it turns out she actually DID say shit like that, though...woof. It won't be hard to skip that movie at all.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They gonna make Shan Yu the leader of the Hong Kong protests or what?

I remember stuff getting out awhile ago about the lead being against the protests.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Just cancel this shit. I can't think of anyone who wants this to come out. No one asked for it in the first place.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was the test screening bad because the audience knew about the cast's sentiments or was that unrelated?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
> Breaking: Disney's Live-Action 'Mulan' Remake To Undergo Extensive Reshoots, the move comes after monstrously bad test screening.
> The Mulan cast have been vocal about Hong Kong protesters, so much so that the lead actually said "Cops should kill them all"

Are these two different rumors? Or is the implication here that the bad test screening is due to the comments of the cast?

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Isn't the film already rumored to have a ridiculous budget?

La Bomba is just getting even bigger. Free Hong Kong.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
This thread should be closed or amended, you're posting a baseless trolly rumor. Actual sources say it is scheduled to have some perfectly standard weeks of re-shoots.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Was the test screening bad because the audience knew about the cast's sentiments or was that unrelated?
> Breaking: Disney's Live-Action 'Mulan' Remake To Undergo Extensive Reshoots, the move comes after monstrously bad test screening.
> The Mulan cast have been vocal about Hong Kong protesters, so much so that the lead actually said "Cops should kill them all"

Are these two different rumors? Or is the implication here that the bad test screening is due to the comments of the cast?
interested to hear about a bit about this

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like two separate rumors.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
They are Burying the lead on the story there, I couldn't give two shits about reshoots if the real story is the lead actress suggesting cops should kill all the Hong Kong protesters.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Disney canned this movie or ended up releasing it in China only.

It's completely radioactive, and the (absurdly high) production cost is lunch money compared to either choice -- the PR hit the company'll take in the West or a blanket ban on all Disney products and companies in China -- that its release is almost certainly going to prompt. Maybe they'll salvage it with significantly different cuts.

Releasing this is probably going to be the equivalent of if Blizzard had manufactured the Blitzchung moment themselves, except bigger.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
People here tried to boycott Aladdin, but it crossed a billion. These live action movies haven't been great, but I want these movies with minority casts at least to succeed.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
..She didn't actually say that, did she?

I would assume she didn't but everybody is fucking crazy these days so..
She certainly has some... interesting views:

Last week, Chinese-born Liu said on blogging site Weibo that she stands with the Hong Kong police, who since June have been engaged in a crackdown on anti-government demonstrators and journalists in that country. The civil unrest and protests, triggered by potential legislation that would have allowed suspected criminals to be extradited to territories where Hong Kong doesn't have formal extradition deals but has now grown to encompass democratic reform, are now in their third month.

"I support Hong Kong's police, you can beat me up now. What a shame for Hong Kong. #Ialsosupporthongkongpolice#," she wrote.

That being said, I don't think citing a Twitter blog with ~200 followers is exactly a reputable source.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Disney canned this movie or ended up releasing it in China only.

It's completely radioactive, and the (absurdly high) production cost is lunch money compared to either choice -- the PR hit the company'll take in the West or a blanket ban on all Disney products and companies in China -- that its release is almost certainly going to prompt. Maybe they'll salvage it with significantly different cuts.

Releasing this is probably going to be the equivalent of if Blizzard had manufactured the Blitzchung moment themselves, except bigger.

I imagine someone at Disney is currently shitting themselves. Looks like their lead actress is well on her way to "Roseanne-ing" the movie out of existence.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I remember she said something along the lines of "It's a shame (the protesters) are acting like this"

May 24, 2019

90% of the general audience for the movie won't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.