• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2021
I just watched a Golden Retriever get mauled by one while the owner stood by like a deer in the headlights and did nothing! These types of dogs are too aggressive and unpredictable to be roaming the streets. Especially when 95% of the time the owner ain't shit and can't control em. I keep a folding knife in my pocket whenever I walk my dog for this exact situation :(

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched a Golden Retriever get mauled by one while the owner stood by like a deer in the headlights and did nothing! These types of dogs are too aggressive and unpredictable to be roaming the streets. Especially when 95% of the time the owner ain't shit and can't control em. I keep a folding knife in my pocket whenever I walk my dog for this exact situation :(

I've always thought the owners were the problem moreso than the dogs. Unfortunately, those breeds attract a lot of shitty people who shouldn't own pets

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Nah man, many of these 'bully' dogs have been raised in a bad enviroment. Lay all the blame on the owners.

I have a walking staff that I use when walking my dogs now (my dog was approached in an agressive manner by a shchnauzer/terrier )

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I've always thought the owners were the problem moreso than the dogs. Unfortunately, those breeds attract a lot of shitty people who shouldn't own pets
Kind of like saying gun owners are the problem not so much the guns. There definitely should be some type of registration or permit own a dangerous animal IMO just like there needs to be more to control guns. Any idiot shouldn't just be able to own one.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Pick a decade and we can give you a "bully" breed.

Breeds have nothing to do with bad owners, and every large dog can be a menace off leash if not socially trained.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What the fuck

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Is this a "30-50 feral bully dogs" scenario or is "bully breed dogs" a legitimate, growing problem beyond a horrible, gruesome anecdote?

The only experience I can recall with this is Toronto/Ontario banning or trying to ban pit bulls and issues with Mark Buerhle bringing his dog into the province.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
My dog is small (<30lbs) so I'm always asking "is he/she friendly?" when introducing him to other dogs. If the owner isn't paying pedestrians any mind they probably aren't doing too great a job controlling their pup, so steer clear.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Ok are you talking about ALL bully breeds or just the "American Bully", if it's the former that would include a whole host of breeds that are quite docile. You need to be more specific.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nothing wrong with those dogs. As people have said it's bad owners. Truth is a lot of other breeds should be band before them. They actually have much better temperament then other dogs.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

It typically is. I, however, would be glad to see certain breeds pushed out of domestication and ownership.

As long as people aren't mixing dogs up and like blanket banning them (for example people confuse "bulldogs" for "pits"). I see that all the time.

Actually have a friend, who's a very good pet owner...I mean religiously meticulous with their dog, and it bit and injured (thankfully not too badly) their toddler. I moved both of my dogs (despite them never showing any aggressiveness) to forever homes with people I knew, and I could still visit them, when I had kids. They were a border collie and a golden retriever/husky mix.

Chances are that was still on the friend though. You shouldn't have a "possibly aggressive for the situation/easily irritated" dog near a toddler, stupid on their part. People that keep pits and toddlers together worry me, and if I'm honest any dog near a small human that doesn't know you shouldn't bite/hit/pull/slap bothers me. 😆

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My friend got part of their ear bit off by a golden retriever. Should both types of dogs be banned?

But actually fuck off with this, owners are to blame, not the dogs.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
i get it. i have a little 8 pound dog. i'm a dog lover through and through, but when i do the thought experiment of another dog attacking my dog uncontrollably, I will do whatever it takes to remove that thing from my pet. i don't carry a weapon for the possibility, but i get the thought process

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Ok are you talking about ALL bully breeds or just the "American Bully", if it's the former that would include a whole host of breeds that are quite docile. You nedd to be more specific.
Yeah, Bulldogs (English and French), Pugs, Boxers and Boston Terriers are almost universally total sweethearts.

The funny thing is American Pit Bull Terriers have a natural temperament to be very friends to people, and the vast majority are. They tend to be aggressive towards other animals primarily and have to be very carefully socialized and trained because of that.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Not at all a dog person here so maybe I'm missing something but I've never really understood why there are people who are so against banning breeds of dogs. Every dog breed out there came from selectively breeding them for certain traits, maybe it's time to stop breeding the ones where those traits were strength and aggression.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
You literally touch on it several times in your post.

Its 100% on the owner. A shit owner can make a Corgi a bully dog.

That being said, I am under the impression certain breeds lend themselves more to the bad behavior than others, but it's still on the owner, not the dog.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Pick a decade and we can give you a "bully" breed.

Breeds have nothing to do with bad owners, and every large dog can be a menace off leash if not socially trained.
Great point. We have two Chow Chows, and I think enough time has passed that they're not looked at as negatively as before, with most of the ire being directed at these bully breeds now. Poor breeding standards and owners will result in an aggressive dog. I've seen aggressive dogs that are not "bully breeds".

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
If we're gonna stop breeding specific breeds first why don't we start with pugs? The cruelty of giving an animal breathing problems because it looks cute is completely fucked.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I don't really think any dog owner should allow their animals to roam around unsupervised and unleashed. I am not a dog person, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once I had a Basset Hound who got uncontrollably angry and he would violently attack me.

Fucking violent Basset Hounds need to be terminated.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
Take your breedism and get right the fuck out of here. The fear of "bully breeds" has some of its roots in racism and stereotypes about owners. Any dog can bite and will.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I think I know what the OP is talking about. There's a picture going arond of a pitbull literally ripping the left front leg of a golden retriever off. All you see is a mangled, bloody stump.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Any big dog is potentially dangerous in the hands of a shit owner. Pits just seem to attract more shit owners than other large breeds because they appeal to idiots who view them as 80 lbs fashion statements.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
You literally touch on it several times in your post.

Its 100% on the owner. A shit owner can make a Corgi a bully dog.

That being said, I am under the impression certain breeds lend themselves more to the bad behavior than others, but it's still on the owner, not the dog.
At the very least, specific dog breeds can do a lot more damage and are much more difficult to restrain. This would never happen, but maybe specific breeds which are exceptionally dangerous if not properly trained/handled should require a license to own if banning is out of the question.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of like saying gun owners are the problem not so much the guns.

It definitely gives me these vibes. "It's the gun owners!" which absolutely no one, and no law does anything about ever so... Guess we just let the death continue then? Just seems like an easy end around to making sure things don't change for the better. There's plenty of shitty dog owners. But a tiny more docile breed can have a shitty owner and not kill some families toddler when it jerks its way out of its owner's hand.

There's plenty of dangerous animals not allowed as pets that might be just fine if they have competent owners. But they still aren't allowed as pets.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
OP carries a knife in their pocket just in case they need to stab a dog

fucking yikes
OP carries a knife in their pocket just in case they need to defend themselves from a dog attack which apparently is a possibility to the OP in their environment
They didn't say they are eager to attack a dog or that they are looking for them
If you are attacked by a dog or your pet is attacked, you just gonna make kissy noises and hope they stop?

Whats the problem here?
Wheres the "yikes"???

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
My boys and their mum have a staffie they've reared since a pup.

He is the biggest, wimpiest, softest dog you will ever meet who only gets loud if he thinks one of the family is in danger.

However when I was still living with them and walked him, the owners of little yappy dogs would allow their nuisances to torture him but if we intervened, we would be on the wrong for having "a dangerous dog".....

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
dog owners should face strict liability for any damage

you can blame bad owners all you want, but if bad owners are attracted to a certain breed of powerful dog that has the ability to maim or kill grown adults, then something needs to be done

people anthromorphize pets too much in general. there are a fuckton of shitty backyard breeders of pitbulls and other bully breeds, and every dog is not a suitable pet. a hyper reactive pitbull is not a good fit for most homes, and rescues shop them out to families trying to adopt their first dog as if there's no risk in doing so

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Even setting aside the question of whether dog aggression and risks are correlated with breed, or is a nature vs. nurture issue, etc.—I feel like I've mostly seen opinions from animal control experts that breed-specific bans are not the most effective strategy for dealing with aggressive dogs. Any large, strong dog can be a risk if not controlled/socialized properly, and I think they mostly suggest additional licensing and enforcement measures that are breed-agnostic and aimed at irresponsible ownership.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
What are the ethics behind bringing a creature into existence and then driving it into extinction when it becomes a liability?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
If we're gonna stop breeding specific breeds first why don't we start with pugs? The cruelty of giving an animal breathing problems because it looks cute is completely fucked.

We should stop breeding for specific breeds altogether. Purebred dogs are host to a wide range of health issues and rescues are always full of dogs that need to be adopted.

Status
Not open for further replies.