• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Update:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place. As an independent studio setting out to build a brand new experience, we wanted a partner willing to take a big leap of faith with us. We had a vision for Destiny that we believed in, but to launch a game of that magnitude, we needed the support of an established publishing partner.

With Activision, we created something special. To date, Destiny has delivered a combination of over 50 million games and expansions to players all around the world. More importantly, we've also witnessed a remarkable community – tens of millions of Guardians strong – rise up and embrace Destiny, to play together, to make and share memories, and even to do truly great things that reach far beyond the game we share, to deliver a positive impact on people's everyday lives.

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we're excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

With Forsaken, we've learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We'll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we're looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Thank you so much for your continued support. Our success is owed in no small part to the incredible community of players who have graced our worlds with light and life. We know self-publishing won't be easy; there's still much for us to learn as we grow as an independent, global studio, but we see unbounded opportunities and potential in Destiny. We know that new adventures await us all on new worlds filled with mystery, adventure, and hope. We hope you'll join us there.

See you starside.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting... I've been wondering about this relationship and how things will look going forward. Maybe it's possible for Bungie to abandon ship on that Destiny deal and just move on.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
200.gif

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly doubt this would happen. Activision might not be happy with Destiny sales wise but I think they'd want to keep Bungie around.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Never forget Bungie decided they wanted to be independent and not forced to work on one franchise forever being the reasoning behind leaving Microsoft and they immediately jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with Activision and Destiny.

Frankly, a break up would be the best thing for Bungie.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Good for Bungie. I always believed that some shit in Destiny isn't Bungie's doing

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'd love to see Bungie away from Activision but no idea what that would mean for Destiny.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Welp, on to the next one. it almost seems Activision's expectation for the game/series felt unreal. Isnt Destiny one of the top seller series of this generation?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I would love it if Bungie found another publisher. Struggling to think of anyone with boatloads of money that would be better though.

Oct 31, 2017
I was actually incredibly surprised when Bungie announced that they were partnering with Activision. They immediately had to come out and be like "We still have our integrity! That's why we left Microsoft!!". Well...

I would expect Bungie to try and go independent more than Activision buying them out. If Activision does buy them out, then I imagine an even further exodus of the upper echelon of creative that may still remain from years earlier and they'll just turn into any other franchise factory.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget Bungie decided they wanted to be independent and not forced to work on one franchise forever being the reasoning behind leaving Microsoft and they immediately jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with Activision and Destiny.

Frankly, a break up would be the best thing for Bungie.

It was always bizarre to me that they did it (even tho it was obviously for the money). That and the fact that they jumped into Activision right after they pulled all that shit with original Infinity Ward

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a seemingly ridiculous thought, but part of me does have to wonder if it couldn't happen. Microsoft is making deals that give developers freedom to create what they want. The leadership is also quite different from when they parted ways.
Just look at the size of studios MS is buying, they are not going after Bungie.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
When is their ten year contract up? Next year?

As far as I understand, it would come up in either 2019 or 2020. I think they signed with Activision in 2010, just before or after Halo: Reach shipped.

This is foreboding as all get out though, especially given that their initial court document called for three shipped games and three "Comet" DLCs. So far they've shipped two main games and maaaaybe three Comets (if you include Rise of Iron).

Deleted member 5309

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be amazing if Microsoft ends up with the publishing rights and Bungie is back making Xbox exclusives.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Activision saying they weren't happy with Forsaken's sale numbers was one of the strangest things I've seen them say in a while. Seeing as it beat out Spider-Man on PS4 through PSN IIRC.

I'm glad Bungie had decided to stay focused on the hardcore scene and seems to be continuing in that direction. Whatever happens, I'm gonna keep my eyes on this cause I'm a huge Destiny shill pretty much. If worse comes to worse, and Bungie sells it to Acti. I hope they have VV or High Moon take over. They did a great job with Warmind and Forsaken.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be buying the franchise outright. Bungie has been making moves with that Chinese company and Destiny has had more and more Activision studios working on it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think Bungie wants to be indepented for a while if a divorce is happening.
Bungie doesn't self-publish their games, though, and they'd need funding from somewhere for their projects. If they do break ties with Activision, they'd have to find a new publishing partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.