• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't believe that this is a controversial take, but it's the truth. The Bush administration was more evil and destructive for the world than Trump's has been so far. Trump is basically just building on Bush's legacy, but he's still not as bad.

Bush destabilized the Middle East and lied us into a war that caused hundreds of thousands of deaths. He's largely responsible for the formation of ISIS and the continued instability in the Middle East. He passed legendarily regressive tax reform, he let a city drown, and he created ICE. I would highly recommend for people here to listen to the Podcast "Blowback" on the Iraq war. It is illuminating to say the least.

Trump on the other hand is doing more to destabilize the Middle East with relaxed rules of engagement and excessive assassinations, absolutely botched the COVID response and caused far more unnecessary death and suffering than there could have been. Not to mention the psychotic judges he's flooded into the judiciary system (and won't leave for decades) and his own regressive tax reform. Trust me, I'm not going to downplay how awful he is either.

That said, Bush is still orders and magnitudes worse because he set us on path for a lot of this garbage, and the challenges and responses Trump absolutely botched, Bush would have as well. The most baffling thing to me from people who say Bush was better than Trump, is how on Earth do you people think this man would have handled the COVID response better? There is no universe where he would have done the right thing here because he and his cabinet were ideologically opposed to it. That's why people fawning over this awful man and his shitty video is filling me with disgust.

The toxin here is not these individual men, but the conservative ideology that says all government involvement, even during times of crisis and aid, should never be taken because of this sick belief in the virtue of leaving everyone to fend for themselves and cutting all aid in every possible situation.

And don't even fucking get me started on Reagan.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna argue that Bush was good, but he isn't Trump even on his worst day.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For sure

Trump has done nothing in comparison to the something like half a million Iraqi civilians who died and the destabilizing of the Middle East.

Maybe you could compare the two if you look solely within the borders of the US.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
The bush administration was worse only because the trump administration doesn't have Cheney. And they can keep their post for more than three months to do enough harm. The real question is what do you consider worse? An insidious administration or an incompetent one

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Bush was a solid piece of shit, condensed into one big turd.

Trump is that runny kind of shit that gets everywhere, and overall, has more mass.

May 13, 2019
The bush administration was worse only because the trump administration doesn't have Cheney. And they can keep their post for more than three months to do enough harm. The real question is what do you consider worse? An insidious administration or an incompetent one
I don't want to even imagine how things would have turned out if Steve Bannon was still around.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'll give Trump over Bush is that, by the end of his presidency, his domestic fatality numbers will be far worse than Bush's.

OP
OP
Goodstyle

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't mean to belittle your thoughts, but what's your point?
My point is, I never want people to forget what we went through and who George Bush was. And because of that dumb ad, a lot of people I otherwise like and respect are saying dumb shit like "Oh man, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd want Bush back!" That's about the most depressing thing in the world to me, it tells me that this bastard and his criminal administration got away with completely. Will people look back fondly on Trump? The Bush nostalgia tells me that it's possible.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's not a competition or something, they're both abhorrent in their own regard.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to argue about which Republican is worse than another, they're all festering piles of excrement... but you got one thing immensely wrong, OP. Trump isn't botching anything - every move he makes is deliberate. Yes, he is trying to kill as many (poor and middle class) American citizens as possible.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
historically pound for pound i don't think you'll ever get as bad as bush (if god willing trump leaves next january and becomes a distant curio soon after in presidential history)

but not many presidents had "opportunity" to be so bad with 9/11 and the great recession

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think that if Bush had been born later and elected president in 2016, he might listen to some of the people telling him how to handle this better.

They're both horrible though for what they actually did.

Oct 25, 2017
They are both shit but Bush can probably dodge a shoe better
PlainSoggyCoypu-size_restricted.gif

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I would honestly take Bush over Trump any day of the week.

Trump is the antichrist to me
Bush was just a republican doing republican things.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Bush admin was a nightmare to live through for sure. When he got reelected my heart shrank two sizes.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in the long run (especially if he gets a second term) Trump will do more damage than Bush ever could.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would Trump react to 9/11? The world might have ended.

Bush sucked, but I sure as hell know who I would prefer to have in charge right now.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wild idea, maybe trying to rank evil is why everybody leaps to Hitler when to make rhetorical points about fascists.

Trump and Bush (boffum) are both past the threshold of deplorably evil and no self respecting educated person should entertain a discourse where we attempt to make heads or tails about which one is worse. They're both unacceptably bad! Comparing them accomplishes nothing

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Yes he was and I think this is always worth reminding people because Bush has been trying hard to fix his image for awhile now and it's worked on younger people that didn't pay much attention when he was in office. He's a bonafide war criminal.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Bush killed more short term, but Trump will kill more in the long term by setting back progress toward fighting climate change/human rights atrocities/horrible treatment of the virus/trying to start a nuclear war.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
My point is, I never want people to forget what we went through and who George Bush was. And because of that dumb ad, a lot of people I otherwise like and respect are saying dumb shit like "Oh man, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd want Bush back!" That's about the most depressing thing in the world to me, it tells me that this bastard and his criminal administration got away with completely. Will people look back fondly on Trump? The Bush nostalgia tells me that it's possible.
I despise these rehab campaigns for Republican presidents.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give him a chance to change that. I think he's already there domestically.

Oct 26, 2017
They are both terrible, and the idea of Bush being worse shouldn't be used to marginalize the negative effect Trump will have on the world for another four years.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We honestly don't know what the legacy of Trump will be. During Reagans time, no one would have considered him to be one of the most damaging presidents to the country. He was fairly popular. But we know now that in terms of legacy/lasting impact he might have done the most damage to the country.

Bush is our worst foreign affairs president for sure. But if this Trump brand of republicans has any staying power Trump can be pointed to as a catalyst for the republican party going from bad guys to cartoon evil.

If Trump is just a blimp on on political landscape 20 years from now, yeah he's bad but Bush was probably worse

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Bush destabilized Iraq. Trump destabilized America. I will not say which is worse, (I honestly do not know) but the damage done to our institutions here in the states, speaking as an American, is like something out of a horror story. Even as jaded as the Bush administration had caused me to be towards politics, I couldn't have imagined it. If Trump has done anything good, however, it's been to obliterate the idea of American exceptionalism. Make America Great Again. The irony.

If this post is hard to read, apologies... I got to some drinking today, which is rare. I'm properly sauced atm, I think.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
IsHeThough.gif

Both suck a generational amount of ass but I'm picking Herr cheeto as worse bruv. Now Karl Rove + Cheney or Trump+Barr? That's a shit competition.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My brother died in a war under Bush, and I still think Trump is worse. Both shit, but Trump is still worse imo.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I worry you might normalise Trump even more by saying "well the other ones were bad too" I know that's not what you're trying do, it's just my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.