• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, ive invited my family to NYC next month,
And, i plan to get a PS5 on release date if possible from a retail store,

What are the chances to success on doing that?

What are the retails stores in Manhattan that are probably gonna get PS5s for sale?

Is Sony gonna do a PS5 event in manhattan like they did with the PS4?

Any advice? Thanks.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
My only advice is good luck, i don't think you will have an easy time getting a PS5 from a retail store at launch.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet you'll have more luck with the local shops -- Videogamesnewyork and the like. Maybe give them a call and see what their plans are?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The challenge is that we've lost a ton of our stores in the last 5 years.

We've gone from about 15 GameStops down to about 5 in manhattan, outer boros shrunk down to a handful. Couple that with the loss of the mega stores like Toys R Us in Times Square, and the small, but reliable places like PC Richards... you're looking at lower # of locations, so potentially higher numbers of people at a smaller number of stores.

It's looking slim. I think something like a Best Buy may be your best option.

Edit: You also better hope for good weather... because without that, there's pretty much nowhere to eat for a group... and there won't be much to do besides a few of the museums. Everything is shuttered still.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't want to go store hopping in NYC. I would try calling ahead to stores leading up to launch and hope for an employee that is willing to share details. Make a list of all stores and then zero-in on one. If it doesn't work out, just wait for online inventory to restock.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
why are you inviting your family to visit NYC in the middle of a pandemic?

Also what does that have to do with the rest of your post? Have you invited them to experience your new PS5 and now need to secure one? are you enlisting them in your quixotic quest to find a PS5?

Given you also seem somewhat unaware there's a pandemic going on, I'm calling shenanigans on this thread.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Cuz i gota great travel package deal , everyone is available to do the trip, and everyone prefer NY than any other destination.

You got a great travel package because only irresponsible assholes would travel right now (unless necessary for health reasons in which case I apologise)

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Cuz i gota great travel package deal , everyone is available to do the trip, and everyone prefer NY than any other destination.
Well duh. It's cheap because no one in their right mind is traveling right now. Let alone to NYC where the majority of places have either closed or are outdoor only spaces.

To answer your actual question about the PS5 though, the answer is no.

Also cancel your trip. That's stupid.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'd say you have no chance. The launch of the hottest new console in a year where every console is hard to find in stores? You should have spent 3-5 hours like the rest of us trying to secure one online lol

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't you in South America? that's a very dangerous an unnecessary travel to do with a pandemic claiming lives left and right, also your chances of walking into a retail store in New York and getting a PS5 on release day are 0%.
If you just want a PS5 and since you have the money to invite your family to an expensive and dangerous trip just import one.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I honestly dont think it will be possible to get a PS5 in the US in 2020 without a pre-order or without camping out for at least 24 hours on release day

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like getting it at retail is easier than getting it online. They should've allocated some more to retail, since it's harder for scalpers (can only be at one place at one time). I live in Toronto though so it will definitely be easier for me

I got my switch at launch retail(EB Games). Easy as taking candy from a baby.

Definitely give it a try. Don't be afraid of going to a big brand store either.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
As long as your willing to be in line at a place like Best buy before anyone else you have a chance. These stores don't put up their entire stock for pre order. You just have to be willing to get their before anybody else. That doesn't sound like a fun group activity though. ,

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Aren't you in South America? that's a very dangerous an unnecessary travel to do with a pandemic claiming lives left and right, also your chances of walking into a retail store in New York and getting a PS5 on release day are 0%.
If you just want a PS5 and since you have the money to invite your family to an expensive and dangerous trip just import one.
Wait, are you serious right now OP?

If that's true, not only is this an idiotic idea of a trip right now, but once you get here you very likely will have to spend the first 2 weeks of your trip in quarantine.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Because people love to be with family during holidays and if you take proper precaution you should be safe.

What kind of bs response is this?

The proper precaution is putting things like this on hold until there is a vaccine. Holiday traveling is the perfect way to make the second wave hit with full blast.

Trying to save as many lives as possible is far more important than spending time with family during the holidays. There will be other ones but people are trying to get through this one.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, ive invited my family to NYC next month,
And, i plan to get a PS5 on release date if possible from a retail store,

What are the chances to success on doing that?

What are the retails stores in Manhattan that are probably gonna get PS5s for sale?

Is Sony gonna do a PS5 event in manhattan like they did with the PS4?

Any advice? Thanks.
There are zero chances of success, all the stores will be sold out within an hour of midnight. I'm guessing this is your first console launch?

Also, don't listen to the paranoid defeatist judging your life choices. If you are doing it safe and wearing a mask while outdoors at all times, NY is as safe as can be right now. People are out and about all the time and the subway feels like the safest place in the world because everyone is wearing a mask.

Because people love to be with family during holidays and if you take proper precaution you should be safe.

What kind of bs response is this?
Exactly...this isn't April. There are no organizations of any kind that are telling people to not come to NYC and to not go shopping and stuff. People really act like anywhere in the world but New Zealand is some death zone.

The proper precaution is putting things like this on hold until there is a vaccine. Holiday traveling is the perfect way to make the second wave hit with full blast.

Trying to save as many lives as possible is far more important than spending time with family during the holidays. There will be other ones but people are trying to get through this one.
That might be your comfort level, but that isn't scientifically accurate. We have to trust the science on all sides. If the OP and his family have been tested negative before they come here, and they always wear a mask and socially distance themselves while they are here, they should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.