• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like what Microsoft is doing with Xbox and continue support?

• Yes

Votes: 47 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 31.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I gotta be honest and say as much as I defended Xbox in the past for what they done with programs they done and such I gotta be a little critical over what was announced and this is no way of trolling or anything like that.

Microsoft really makes it hard to own an Xbox at this point, with the reason announcement where you really don't need to force yourself to upgrade if you don't want to because they will continue to support order consoles, which was a given from the beginning and it's not new but to see it again and to see that yes it's true. It's a complete turn off because what's the point to buy an Series X when you can already play it on older system? — you can argue that you better performances and graphics enhancements with Xbox only games. Which yeah that's a big incentive but I just don't see a point especially when you own a PC that's sort of capable of still running games. Now if you still want to upgrade because you get an upgrade then by all means but they didn't really specify if 3rd-party games will be running on older systems. Because that's where my question lies.

If you can play Xbox only games that are meant for new the system on older systems. But can't play the next Resident Evil on older systems then what's the whole point of owning an older generation where you can't play newer games that are from 3rd-party? You would be missing out on other games other than Xbox studio games. Maybe I'm confused and got this all wrong but for me I don't find this to be a good thing.

If anyone can explain what Xbox is doing is a good thing then by all means explain.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Because Xbox stopped caring about console sales a long time ago. They know users are the bigger draw and if they can get you to be a part of Xbox in anyway possible being mobile games, streaming or PC sales then it's a win.

Which is why they are making it so easy to play their games anyway and anywhere you want.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't often do this kinda thing but there is a brand new thread that you have obviously read that will remain on the front page due to its high activity where you could ask this question/share this opinion. I don't know why it merits its own thread.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Microsoft is a software company first. If they can get their games in the hands of more people, they're gonna do it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Its a good thing because its consumer friendly. Really not much else to it.

MS wants to focus on services and ecosystems and this is the best approach for that.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think they look at the PS4 playbook to determine their strategy:

1) Pro-consumer tactics
2) Indie emphasis
3) likely, price point

I literally just think they're adjusting according to what they did so poorly last time out the gate.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
you aren't locked to a console, soon you will be playing XGS games on your smart tv.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox isn't just a console anymore, it's a ecosystem. Same with Playstation which is why you are seeing more of their First Party Games on PC.

Also people don't realise the amount of people that jump to next gen in the first couple of years makes it pointless to release your whole line up as exclusive to next gen; you'd be missing out on a massive market of your own users.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'm a PC gamer and I have barely any reason to own an Xbox thanks to what they've been doing. It's fantastic. Keep it coming, Phil

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is basically a reaction thread, this can be discussed in the current Xbox threads we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.