• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
I was arguing with my partner about this tonight, and it's got me curious how the fine folks of ERA feel.

I believe that if a POC hates / commits hateful action towards someone because of the color of their skin, that still qualifies as racist. Same for a woman hating an individual the second they encounter them purely because they're male. She believes that if you're the oppressed party, you cannot be racist / sexist / etc.

I'm almost always on the progressive side of conversations with people, so this caught me completely by surprise. Your thoughts?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh yes. Asian people can be racist to black people, Black people can be racist to hispanic, etc. How is this even a question lol

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Honostly, this isn't going to go anywhere good. Everyone is going to have their own definition of what racism is.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
All humans are part of a race or sex, and therefor, it's possible for any race or sex to be racist or sexist to another. The degree to which it harms varies, but that's the gist for me.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Technically. But not in the true sense of the word. Race is not biological. It is a socio-economic principle that relies on power.

POC do not hold this countries power or have economic sway. So I'll leave it at that....

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isms require power that minorities just don't have.

They can absolutely be bigoted, though.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, other minorities in western countries have been racist to me when I visited the west. I'm Arab. It goes the other way around too, I have seen some Arabs in Europe be racist towards other minorities.

EctoPrime

Oct 27, 2017
How could they not. Part of the equality thing is you are treated the same. So if you do something rotten then you are a rotten person you don't get a pass because you are of a certain race or sex.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Uh, yeah, obviously. Growing up in a small town I met plenty of racist people of color.

I think the problem is that many conflate racism as being white people hating people of color, and nothing more.

Oct 25, 2017
Using an academic understanding of racism/sexism, then probably not. At least not in the west. They can still be prejudice however.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are two concepts of racism, the common understanding and the academic understanding. The common definition of racism is any form of prejudice informed by the race, while the academic understanding sees it as an act of power by a privileged group to take advantage of the less privileged. By the common definition yes absolutely, by the academic definition maybe, depending on the circumstances. Both answers are valid depending on the context of the question.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I feel like this is going to spawn pages of "No, they can only be prejudiced, racism involves societal power dynamics" versus "Yes, they can be, we have a term for racism that involves societal institutions, it's called institutionalised/societal racism, individual POC can be racist"

Basically one person calling individual acts of racial discrimination "racism" and the racial discrimination prevalent in societal institutions "institutionalised/societal racism" versus another person calling individual acts of racial discrimination "prejudice" and the racial discrimination prevalent in societal institutions "racism". It's a very boring and pointless semantic debate.

Yes, they can be.

Last edited:

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
What? Of course.

Racism isn't something that only happens from white people towards everyone else. It only seems like that to Americans because that's the experience they've had with racism.

And I've seen a lot of sexism coming from women as well. I have to shut down some heavy machismo from female friends a lot.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Unless she's being extremely pedantic and using some specific definition of racism that no one actually uses colloquially, then she's absolutely wrong.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
yes ofc?

feels like we have this thread every 3 weeks
lmfao so I wasn't the only one thinking to himself "didn't I already post in this thread like four times?"

Also yes someone can be racist but still be a POC. The manager of I think it was a Mcdonalds who was a POC who went up to a customer and started rambling about how Trump will deport them should be proof enough if anyone has any arguments towards it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they can. PoC can hate people of other races and women can hate based on sex.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Of course.

Furthermore, racism and misogyny can be (and often are) internalized, so a woman can even be sexist against women.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. But the worst facets of racism and prejudice are backed up by power structures like the police, prison system and law, which are obviously slanted more against minorities or women.

Oct 25, 2017
In specific conversations people may want to address different levels or forms of racism on either personal or socioeconomic/systemic levels, which are legitimate topics that have their differences, but the word in general encompasses all forms.
Judging people based on race is literally the definition of racism. And anyone can do that.
People who argue otherwise are losing touch with reality and probably spend too much time in online bubbles.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
yes ofc?

feels like we have this thread every 3 weeks
This conversation ends up happening ALL the time on here.

Someone will say it's not possible for a POC to be racist because they don't have power, another person who has never heard of systemic racism will be, like, "wtf" since 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of people don't think systemic racism is the same as racism.

People changing the definition of words, and then arguing with someone who still uses the common definition of that word, is so goddam tiring to see.

Not everyone has a subscription to Woke Magazine, they don't know the new terms.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-by, inflammatory generalisation; accumulated infractions.
Lol they're incredibly racist

OP
OP
FirMatt

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
Yes. But the worst facets of racism and prejudice are backed up by power structures like the police, prison system and law, which are obviously slanted more against minorities or women.

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more. I know that oppression against the non-oppressed party is far less common, but my issue was her saying that it doesn't exist at all.

It's possible she's just being literal and taking an academic approach to this, which is totally valid but kind of surprising to me.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Racism is racism. It isn't just a label for specific groups.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Of course.

But people who say otherwise are defining racism and sexism in a more complex way. As you found out, they are linking it to a power dynamic.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Using an academic understanding of racism/sexism, then probably not. At least not in the west. They can still be prejudice however.

(And I don't think this forum is equipped for this kind of discussion. It always devolves into a fight between those that take the academic definition and those that argue otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.