• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should be can "acquisition begging"?

• Of course

Votes: 511 71.2%
  • No I'm a corporate shill who loves derailing threads

Votes: 207 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Acquisition begging is the new port begging.

People stopped asking for ports and went another step further, they started asking for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to buy entire publishers for reasons.

What is also infuriating is trying to read a thread while skipping all the "OMG X should buy Y" or "Is this an hint of X buying Y?".

What does ERA think?

EDIT: yeah the poll question suck.

"Should we ban" was the question lol

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be in favor of that. I'd even ban all threads that are about the finances of these companies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the people openly rooting for Microsoft to buy another publisher (especially Sega) are getting pretty awful

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm surprised people want the big companies to acquire publishers who apparently weren't really in need and were doing fine. Seems like yesterday's news wasn't bad enough...

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Why would you ban allowing people to openly admit they support monopolization and mega-corporations with console war verbiage?

There's no better way for ERA members to tell on themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Kinda been avoiding era (gaming side) because of it. Seems kinda ridiculous people are seriously thinking Sony needs to buy a whole publisher now

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I will say the reactions to the Bethesda acquisition has been insane and to see people begging for more, in earnest, is incredibly worrying. Gaming is just in such a weird space right now.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cheering for corporate consolidation is one of the most pathetic things I've seen on this forum.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think we would be better served by an OT meant to funnel all acquisition speculation in one place. This talk isn't going away for a while; best we can do is keep it organized.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind people being silly and just having fun imagining purchases. So if that makes me a corp shill than so be it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah we should. It's specially bad considering that most of the posts/threads about this are either "what should others buy as a response to MS acquiring Bethesda" or "what should MS buy next", and both end in console warring most of the times.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I don't think people are legit asking for studios to be acquired at such a fast rate. At least, I don't think it's that much from what I've seen.

Of course, I could be wrong though, it is something that they should maybe examine if enough people have a problem with it, and it falls under the same conditions port begging once did.

Oct 24, 2019
There was a user here repeatedly advocating for Microsoft to build a monopoly so they can have every single game on one platform.

People are really showing their true colors over this shit smh

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You've only noticed this happening now? Lol. Since Microsoft went ham in 2018, entire OT's have been filled with this kind of talk, hell, I think it was the predominant subject in the Xbox Studio OT for a long while. Naturally it'll be further exasperated now with the recent Zenimax acquisition, given the scale of it.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The way that so many dorks get so hyper-focused on concocting what-if scenarios after anything somewhat notable happens in this industry makes this board incredibly exhausting to read.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of video game forums.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Only if I can buy your account.
200 bucks, some condoms and you can buy my ass too. I'm a cheap man.
source.gif

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Cheering for corporate consolidation is one of the most pathetic things I've seen on this forum.

capitalism on Era is only bad when bad remasters are full price or games are timed exclusive but corporations eating market are cool.

please, let's mod this thing like port begging.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think it is kinda hard to ban such subject, we can have objective discussions on what can happen if X buys Y and these stuff(outside fanboyish thinking), or sometime people just imagine a weird/fun situation.

But yeah, in most cases it's annoying.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
User Banned (2 Months): Platform Wars; Long, Long History of the Same
It definitely beats reading 10 pages of "Wow", "Huge", "Nice get", whenever Sony buys another exclusive.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I wasn't there when they made the decision to ban port begging, but I assumed it was because it would just derail threads. Now that we have the Ignore thread button on the thread list I don't really think it's an issue. Especially since it'll die down in 1 week anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say it bothered me so far, I've mostly been entering the FFXVI thread lately, and the discussion is nowhere to be seen there. So it's not like it's taking over the entire forum. If it can be avoided by not entering related threads, I don't think it's a big enough issue to deserve a ban.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I kind of agree. I don't mind acquisition speculation, but outright begging for one of these companies to buy another is pretty awful.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I assume the ones doing it all the time have been acquired.

Should just bring Pogs back.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
All bets are off now, everything and everyone can and should be bought. Sony should buy Konami or Take Two (lol) Microsoft should buy Sega and EA etc etc

Many members are showing their true faces and there's lots of transparent fanboyism going on. It's making this place a lot less enjoyable to read.

It definitely beats reading 10 pages of "Wow", "Huge", "Nice get", whenever Sony buys another exclusive.
"But Sony!!" doesn't add anything to this discussion you know.

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Shit feels like yet another offshoot of a console war arms race to me. Its just fucking weird for me to even see that shit from an outside perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.