• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Gonna take a step out here and make a community post at the risk of taking some heat here.

I'm not the most popular poster here and I'm definitely not the most eloquent. This post is far from the last word, but I think it's an important to say it and I don't know how else to talk about it other than just ... you know ... talking about it.

I think we need to have a real discussion in this forum about how we, as a community, engage with each other. It's one thing if it's an anime thread, or one on stupid shit we are buying, but when it's a serious topic, we have a lot of work to do. Between the jokes, the total mocking of opinions that people don't perceive as in lock-step with center-left Liberalism, and the dismissal and paternalism towards BIPOC people, it's become really unappealing to engage in posting here.

Full transparency, this was borne out of the discussion in the (now locked) "Don't buy a gun" thread. I watched (and participated) in a discussion that very quickly turned into a large number of BIPOC people being dismissed or treated with paternalism. A lot of people seemed uncomfortable with the pushback, maybe even insulted. A large number of BIPOC people continued to (rightfully) pushback and not let dismissing their ideas slide. Instead of allowing that to continue, the thread was locked.

I can see some reasons why it got locked, but ultimately, it looks to me like when discussions truly get uncomfortable and people's feet are held to the fire, moderation decided it was better to just sweep it under the rug and stop talking. I'm a white guy, so I don't wan't to speak for BIPOC people, but, if it were me, I would feel silenced or like my pushback was too inconvenient to allow. Maybe I'm totally off base. Maybe everyone's cool with it. I don't want to speak for BIPOC people, but I also don't want to be quiet on something doesn't sit right with me.

I'm not trying to pretend like I have all the answers, nor do I want to speak for anyone. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. But I thought I'd open it up for discussion. I'd love to hear from many of the BIPOC people in that thread and listen better to how you feel we do as a forum community listening to your voices. What can we/I do better?

I say all of this with the expectation that some of the people that feel silenced might not be comfortable posting. I don't mean to put you on the spot and totally respect if you don't want to engage.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I'm sorry what? Weren't most of the "olol neoliberal centerists" driven out with the big poliera exodus?

This is a good example of the OP though, right?
Yeah, I saw that, figured that maybe he meant how 'liberal' is kind of an insult here (to your point) and kinda kept it moving to his bigger point.

Imho, the examples he posted doesn't really have to do with the main point of the topic, and I fear that's another part of the discourse here...people post jack and suddenly it's a whole other topic, lol.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see some reasons why it got locked, but ultimately, it looks to me like when discussions truly get uncomfortable and people's feet are held to the fire, moderation decided it was better to just sweep it under the rug and stop talking. I'm a white guy, so I don't wan't to speak for BIPOC people, but, if it were me, I would feel silenced or like my pushback was too inconvenient to allow. Maybe I'm totally off base. Maybe everyone's cool with it. I don't want to speak for BIPOC people, but I also don't want to be quiet on something doesn't sit right with me.

The optics of locking the thread after page after page of an OP who was talking down to POC are particularly bad on MLK Jr. Day. it should have been left open. Let OP take his licks, frankly.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The optics of locking the thread after page after page of an OP who was talking down to POC are particularly bad on MLK Jr. Day. it should have been left open. Let OP take his licks, frankly.
I think you're maybe misunderstanding why that thread was locked. The thread was explicitly locked to review posts for moderation. It says so right in the lock post. This is what they do when a bunch of people are about to get banned for being racist.

OP
OP

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm sorry what? Weren't most of the "olol neoliberal centerists" driven out with the big poliera exodus?
This is a good example of the OP though, right?
Yeah, I saw that, figured that maybe he meant how 'liberal' is kind of an insult here (to your point) and kinda kept it moving to his bigger point.

Imho, the examples he posted doesn't really have to do with the main point of the topic, and I fear that's another part of the discourse here...people post jack and suddenly it's a whole other topic, lol.

Maybe that's the wrong way to say it. As I said, I'm struggling a bit for a point.

In a thread a few weeks ago I got shouted down for saying I owned guns and was told, "this is a liberal forum, what did you expect?!"

Maybe I should better say that there is a strong "center left" group here that is largely coming from a wealthy, white perspective that pushes out any narrative that breaks that mold. Maybe I'm off on what I'm seeing, but the discourse quickly seems to turn dismissive or patronizing when people express ideas outside a checklist of ideas everyone just assumes everyone else agrees with.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're maybe misunderstanding why that thread was locked. The thread was explicitly locked to review posts for moderation. It says so right in the lock post. This is what they do when a bunch of people are about to get banned for being racist.

OP is still here after posting this among other things:

www.resetera.com

In case people are considering it, please don't buy a gun.

I personally do not want to murder a bunch of black women with depression by giving them the ultimate suicide tool is part of my whole thing here.

So I don't think I am misunderstanding? Locking the thread looks like the original poster was being protected from the fallout of the nonsense he was engaging in.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We're not doing threads that exist just to complain about other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.