• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Do they have unique serial numbers or anything like that? I finally got a PS5 a few days ago and the controller is driving me insane, the left stick creaks very loudly when it's tilted in certain directions. The worst is that if you tilt it straight up and wiggle it back and forth it's not only loud but feels like it's catching on something, so walking forward and changing directions in a game like Ghost of Tsushima is just super annoying.

I'm wondering if I can buy a new one and return my annoying one. Is this OK to do? I'm hoping the word "fraud" in the OP is overkill, but I wanted to check. I've been told that if you return a controller and say it's defective that it gets sent back to the manufacturer, so you're not screwing anyone over, you're essentially shortcutting the warranty repair process. But if I am potentially screwing over either the store or someone else if it was going to be resold I'll just do it the "right" way and contact Sony.

Edit: several people have asked why I don't just return the controller.

I purchased the PS5 at Target and they will not do a return of just the controller. I would have to return the entire console and then wait until they get stock again to get a replacement, and the people at the store I talked to were unsure how it would as far as getting priority for new systems.

I could get a replacement from Sony since I'm under warranty, but from what I've heard I would be without a controller for quite awhile, like a few weeks, while waiting for the replacement. It'd be a huge bummer to not be able to play for that long after waiting a year to get the system, so if there's a way to get a controller immediately I'd much prefer that.

Last edited:

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
This just happened to a friend of mine. Bought a "new" Dualsense from Best Buy and when he opened it, it was obviously used and had stick drift.

Probably doable, but you could potentially be screwing somebody else over.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah you are potentially screwing over whoever buys the controller you returned.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I got my PS5 a couple of weeks ago and have the same issue with the left stick. Really creaky both in sound and 'feel'. My friend recommended doing this too lol. I don't think I will though.

Deleted member 44122

using the work "fraud" isnt overkill, cause thats exactly what it would be. just get it repaired

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Warranty it. You just got it lol

That's why I'd rather not go through the warranty though, my understanding is I'd be without a controller for weeks.

No fraud necessary if you just bought it a few days ago...?

I bought it at Target. I called the store and they said they'd have to return the entire console to replace the controller, they can't just give me a new controller off the shelf. Obviously with the supply issues this isn't very feasible. I asked if I would have priority when new stock came in since it's defective and the guy I talked to said he'd have to confirm with a manager but he didn't think so.

Yeah you are potentially screwing over whoever buys the controller you returned.

Even if I tell the store I'm returning it because it's defective?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Return your defective controller and get a new one. What happens after that is not your problem. This forum sometimes... I am not sure how such things are handled at the store you bought your controller but here in Germany it would be no questions asked and the employees throw it into a return box, gives you a new one and that's it.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
You can return defective products, they just won't resell that one. You're not committing fraud if you tell them you're returning it because it doesn't work lol.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sounds like this is a pack-in controller that came with the unit, which means returning that controller isn't an option w/out returning the entire PS5.

Buy a new one, and warranty the second, or warranty your controller and wait. I don't have any pity or sympathy for corporations, but in this case that misfortune would more than likely end up impacting another consumer more than the corporation.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Return your defective controller and get a new one. What happens after that is not your problem. This forum sometimes... I am not sure how such things are handled at the store you bought your controller but here in Germany it would be no questions asked and the employees throw it into a return box, gives you a new one and that's it.

The reason I'm asking is because a lot of electronics have serial numbers on the product and box, and if they don't match the store won't do the return. It would be no questions asked as long as the numbers match. But I'm not sure if the Dualsense has a unique identifier.

I'm confused, why aren't you returning the faulty one in the first place?

Like I and others have explained multiple times, it's the controller that came with the system and the store won't do a return of just the controller. I'd have to return the entire console and wait who knows how long for them to get stock again.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's why I'd rather not go through the warranty though, my understanding is I'd be without a controller for weeks.

I bought it at Target. I called the store and they said they'd have to return the entire console to replace the controller, they can't just give me a new controller off the shelf. Obviously with the supply issues this isn't very feasible. I asked if I would have priority when new stock came in since it's defective and the guy I talked to said he'd have to confirm with a manager but he didn't think so.

Given this circumstance I would just buy another pad and swap it with that one and do the return.

I think that's what you were suggesting in the OP? I've done that before. Ultimately you're entitled to a working controller. If you buy another individual controller and return it as broken (swapping your other one in) then you're not screwing anyone over as Target will just return that individual controller (rather than the whole system) to the manufacturer.

When you return the second pad you can ask for a refund rather than a swap even. If you don't want to end up with two working pads that is.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
are you returning it to the same store you bought it? If so its not really fraud. you got a bad controller in a new ps5 box. They will work with you I believe.

May 22, 2018
This isn't practical for everyone, but once my launch DS started to drift a little bit I bought a new one from Gamestop and purchased their $12 year long warranty. After a couple of weeks went by I put the bad controller in the box and redeemed the warranty no questions asked. So now I have two new controllers (along with a new warranty) and it will be sent back for repairs instead of screwing over another customer. The trip to GS and a $12 charge isn't ideal, but its the most hassle free way to fix the problem IMO.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason I'm asking is because a lot of electronics have serial numbers on the product and box, and if they don't match the store won't do the return. It would be no questions asked as long as the numbers match. But I'm not sure if the Dualsense has a unique identifier.

I missed the part where you buy a new one and put your defect one in it to return that one. That's being an asshole, but its not like it's a Playstation or anything big. It works, but depending on the store they could reseal and resell for a lower price (is that a thing over there?) as used.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? How is that the consumer's problem?

You are returning a defective product, as literally everyone should, what they do with it should not carry any weight on your mind.

You are clearly stating it has a problem and you are covered by the warranty regardless.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I missed the part where you buy a new one and put your defect one in it to return that one. That's being an asshole, but its not like it's a Playstation or anything big. It works, but depending on the store they could reseal and resell for a lower price (is that a thing over there?) as used.

Like I said, I was told that big box stores return to manufacturer if you specify that you're returning it because it's defective. Can you confirm or deny this? Otherwise you're just repeating information from the OP here.

You are returning a defective product, as literally everyone should, what they do with it should not carry any weight on your mind.

You are clearly stating it has a problem and you are covered by the warranty regardless.

To clarify, what I'm proposing is I would buy a new controller from a big box store, Target or Walmart or whatever, take it home, swap the new controller with my defective one, and then return the defective one as if it's the new one.

It would be the consumer's problem if the store then resells my defective one as though it were new. But I'm not sure if they would or not. I made this thread to try to figure that out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is even possible in the first place because DualSenses may have a serial number that matches a number on their box. I'm also trying to figure out whether this is true.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

OP buys a new controller, puts his defect one in and wants to return that one though. That's not cool, but it works.

Like I said, I was told that big box stores return to manufacturer if you specify that you're returning it because it's defective. Can you confirm or deny this? Otherwise you're just repeating information from the OP here.

I can only confirm that for Germany which depends on the case. Somebody returns a PS5 because of a defected controller? Reseal, put a new one in, resell for a bit lower. Somebody comes in and his newly PS5 controller (which he got with his PS5) is defect and he only comes in with the controller? He gets a new one and that's it.

Mar 11, 2020

I agree with this. If u buy a second and clearly state you are returning it cause its defective and just getting a 2nd new one i dont see the harm at all. If target repackages a defective unit thats on them.

A lot of people seem to be thinking can just return without getting the new one but most retail stores have a policy can only replace electronics if open with new ones.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

You could just do warranty and play PS4 games in the meantime if you still have a DS4 laying around. Sucks they won't just take the controller but yeah you don't want to return the whole console

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
People do that shit all the time. Back when I worked at Wal-Mart we knew the summer birds who'd show up mid May and leave mid August. They'd buy a vacuum, a box fan, and a few other items, and then return them all within 90 days when they were ready to go back South from their vacation homes.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I worked at Target for 3 years. Occasionally defective stuff goes back out when it's not supposed to because not everyone who handles returns knows what they're doing. How often that happens will depend on the store of course.

It's *supposed* to be marked as defective and put in the appropriate bin though.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yes. If you return the controller as defective, they will not put the defective controller up for sale. You aren't screwing over a future customer. However, while I can't speak for Target directly, some stores use warranties as product REPLACEMENT plans. As in, they aren't just going to give you the money back directly, they use it to give you a new controller. In this instance you're still going to be paying for a brand new controller up front and then replacing the annoying one with another new controller. So you'll have two.

An alternative (if you want) is to sell the controller at Gamestop or somewhere similar and put it towards a new one. You naturally don't get the full value of the controller from selling it versus returning it but this is spending less money IF Target doesn't let you just get your money back from a warranty.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I can only confirm that for Germany which depends on the case. Somebody returns a PS5 because of a defected controller? Reseal, put a new one in, resell for a bit lower. Somebody comes in and his newly PS5 controller (which he got with his PS5) is defect and he only comes in with the controller? He gets a new one and that's it.

Yeah, I definitely can't just return the controller, it'd have to be the whole console. I'm not sure if that's a US thing or just a Target thing, but unfortunately it's not an option.

Ask the retailer where you bought it from, since it's only a few days old.

The thread is not even a page long people, lol. Guess I'll go ahead and add to the OP that I contacted the store and they won't return the controller.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Friend of mine tried to "exchange" his banned 360 for a brand new one back in the days.
Got him a lifetime ban at the retail chain (Saturn) and he was lucky that the cops never got involved.

I really wouldn't risk it over a 70€ gamepad.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Oh and yes, each DS has a serial number.
Located on the back.

So chances are your RMA ticket will get flagged.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
They can't track it. Target usually has the easier returns, and you can just tell them it's defective so nobody else gets hassled.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017

To clarify, what I'm proposing is I would buy a new controller from a big box store, Target or Walmart or whatever, take it home, swap the new controller with my defective one, and then return the defective one as if it's the new one.

It would be the consumer's problem if the store then resells my defective one as though it were new. But I'm not sure if they would or not. I made this thread to try to figure that out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is even possible in the first place because DualSenses may have a serial number that matches a number on their box. I'm also trying to figure out whether this is true.
Just state it is defective, it's as simple as that. Regardless of it being the exact copy you bought, you are just taking a shortcut as returning the one from the console is extremely time consuming due to the terrible service from Sony.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
If it has been opened the retailer is not going to sell it again. They do not sell open box consoles unless it's a gamestop or something similar.

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
Each controller has a unique serial number on the back.

I'm not sure it's checked though.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Friend of mine tried to "exchange" his banned 360 for a brand new one back in the days.
Got him a lifetime ban at the retail chain (Saturn) and he was lucky that the cops never got involved.

I really wouldn't risk it over a 70€ gamepad.

That's actually exactly why I made the thread, I had a friend who did the same thing in high school.

Each controller has a unique serial number on the back.

I'm not sure it's checked though.

And there's a matching one on the box? If there is I'm not going to risk it, I really don't want to get stuck with an extra $70 controller I don't want or need.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Contact Sony instead of screwing another customer, and yes it's a return fraud even if they don't have specific SN (Xbox controllers usually do)

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Interesting that you jump to "let's maybe do a crime to Best Buy/whoever buys this next" instead of "make Sony deliver to me what I paid them for" by getting them on the phone about a warranty

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Contact Sony instead of screwing another customer, and yes it's a return fraud even if they don't have specific SN (Xbox controllers usually do)

I feel like people aren't reading the thread. Are you saying all of the people claiming they won't resell it if I specify it's not working correctly are wrong?

Interesting that you jump to "let's maybe do a crime to Best Buy/whoever buys this next" instead of "make Sony deliver to me what I paid them for" by getting them on the phone about a warranty

As I stated in the OP, I wouldn't do this if there's a chance I could screw someone else over. Multiple people have said big box stores will not resell products they've been told are not working correctly. Are you saying they're wrong?

As far as contacting Sony, I just got the console a couple days ago, it'd be a huge bummer to be without a controller for weeks after finally getting a system. And if the return goes directly back to them anyway, why wait?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
The controllers have serial numbers on the back, they're just really tiny and difficult to see.

It's also definitely return fraud, and I certainly wouldn't recommend purchasing a new controller from Amazon with the intention of returning your defective launch controller with their lenient return policy and free UPS pick-up.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Even if there is a unique number, no one is going to check it. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, you're doing it at the same retailer and they just return it through the manufacturer who is ultimately responsible for it anyway.

That said, if you return it "correctly" as you say, by saying its defective, this probably won't work. Most retailers don't refund your money for defective products, they just do an exchange. So when you return your defective one, they'll only give you a new one. Which means you'll have two working controllers instead of one working one and your money. The only likely reason that wouldn't happen is if they're out of them when you return the defective one.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is it fraud? Sure. Are they going to check? Probably not (though when I returned a Series S to WalMart they opened the entire thing up, didn't see them check serials or anything, guess they want to make sure it wasn't a brick in there or something, so if your Dual Sense doesn't look "new" it could tip them off). Also if you tell them its defective and that's why you are returning it, but ask for a refund instead of an exchange, that could make someone suspicious.

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
That's actually exactly why I made the thread, I had a friend who did the same thing in high school.

And there's a matching one on the box? If there is I'm not going to risk it, I really don't want to get stuck with an extra $70 controller I don't want or need.
No, there's not a matching one on the box as far as I'm aware. There's a separate barcode on the box. I'm not sure whether retailers / Sony match up box barcodes and Dualsense serial numbers.

I actually may or may not have done this already.

In the UK I bought a PS5 that came with a controller, and then separately bought a second controller from Amazon.

One of my controllers got a broken spring. I don't know if it was the controller that came with the console or the one from Amazon, but I sent the broken one back to Amazon regardless, with no issue.

Ignorance was bliss in my case!

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people aren't reading the thread. Are you saying all of the people claiming they won't resell it if I specify it's not working correctly are wrong?

You asked if it would be return fraud. That poster is responding to that. Regardless if the retailer resells it or not, it is still return fraud as the item being returned is not the exact item that was purchased on that specific transaction.

Sep 16, 2021
Why commit fraud and have someone else buy your faulty controller as "open box", when you can use your warranty and send it in to Sony? Some people, seriously

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just buy another one, return swap the broken one. End up with two controllers. Morally probably fine if you are returning it with a fault, it'll go back to Sony.

Anything more complicated were you fight for a refund and only end up with one controller? Not worth the bother IMO. You can always sell the second dualsense locally if you really want rid of it, but why? I have three, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.