• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Would he really do that?

Stay in the past with Peggy, get old, and hand off his shield.

In the moment, during my first viewing, the moment felt a little off.

In a way, it's like he's dipping out of all future conflicts. Calling it quits. And I justified it by saying he's earned it. He has definitely earned it.

But would he take it?

The same Captain America who, in this very same movie, got Iron Man to risk his own life after he was satisfied with his own family. The same Captain America who, in this very same movie, was staring down Thanos and his entire army and pulled up his shield straps and was ready to do whatever he could until he went down.

It was definitely a moment where I think I felt the writers more than I felt Captain America. What do you folks think?

Also did Tony ever tell him to get a life in the movie? I thought it was Black Widow who said that.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best way to end the movie. Everyone wanted to see it. There are a number of threads about this.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Would you take an opportunity to live a life of your dreams after being so close to it? I would. Cap made a right choice.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The same Captain America who, in this very same movie, got Iron Man to risk his own life after he was satisfied with his own family. The same Captain America who, in this very same movie, was staring down Thanos and his entire army and pulled up his shield straps and was ready to do whatever he could until he went down.

It's because of Tony that Cap made the choice he did. It's in his way a tribute to Tony's sacrifice.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was really really great. Only weird thing was that he chatted with Falcon first and not his homeboy Bucky. Marvel needs the next set-up more then a better sendoff. But small gripe in a film full of great fan service candy.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do think it undercuts the beautiful melancholy that has been present in his character since The Winter Soldier (or really the end of The First Avenger), but I can't really begrudge them for doing it. It's what almost everyone wanted. But if I were writing it, that bittersweet "man out of time" burden would have stayed with him to the grave.

I fear that those earlier films are going to ring a little hollower now upon rewatch knowing that this man who endured such a heartbreaking ordeal and still chose to stand up again in defense of others ultimately gets rewarded with a happily ever after. The power of his character was that he fought for what was right DESPITE knowing that he himself could never truly get what he wanted and be happy. Except now he has.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
In the comics he would have stuck with Sharon. They didnt have enough time spent building that relationship in the movies, plus I think they were trying to find the most graceful way to have Cap exit without just killing him off.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It was terrible, but it was the only way they could think of writing Cap off without killing him.

In the comics he would have stuck with Sharon. They didnt have enough time spent building that relationship in the movies, plus I think they were trying to find the most graceful way to have Cap exit without just killing him off.

Yep.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony Stark, after spending most of his life selfishly, ends his story by doing one selfless act to save the people he loves

Steve Rogers, after spending most of his life selflessly, ends his story by doing one act for himself, to be with the person he loves

It's a thematically good ending for both

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was really really great. Only weird thing was that he chatted with Falcon first and not his homeboy Bucky. Marvel needs the next set-up more then a better sendoff. But small gripe in a film full of great fan service candy.

Bucky already said his goodbye to Cap before he went back. He told him I'm going to miss you and started to look around for him when Sam and Bruce where freaking out that he didn't show up.

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
didn't he say to natasha that they should move on from the superhero life after the five year jump. he was really contemplating living his life after what happened and that was after the snap. you would think that same mindset would give him the push to live his life in 1970 after seeing agent carter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I mean there's always the actual Spoiler thread where we've talked about this already.

thats 243 pages of content, come on. im here to actually have a conversation and get my mind changed

I guess they kind of went with a "Bucky already knows what's going down" vibe. I also thought he would be more likely to give the shield to Bucky.

MCU Cap yes. Comic Cap no since has to keep selling comics for decades.

Fair enough, I don't keep up with comics at ALL. Has comic cap ever done something like this at the end of a comic run maybe?

He did exactly what Tony wanted him to do: live his life.

Steve took that second chance because it was offered. If I were Steve, I'd have done the same in a heartbeat.

I'll say this: I would 100% do the same as Cap in the scenario, but I also would not be able to lift Thors Hammer if you knowwhatimsayin.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cap deserved to live a long and happy life in his own time, and he trusts his friends.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did not like Cap's ending at all tbh. They always say he is the soldier and a man out of time, it just made sense for his carve to go out fighting. It would have been better if he was the one who used the gauntlet and died while tony lived happily after in some way.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I like what one poster said.... Tony learned from Cap how to Sacrifice himself for the great good, Cap learned from Tony how to live his life.

Both Tony and Cap going back to the 70's was a moment of realization for both of them, and I feel that's the turning point for both. Cap got the chance to see what his life could be like with Peggy, and he embraced it. Tony's dad said something along the lines of "Sacrificing yourself for the greater good," and got the closure he needed from his father.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
My guess before seeing it was that Tony would gracefully retire and it would be Cap who sacrificed himself, perhaps in a scene where there was only enough "time travel juice" for the rest of the team to get back to the present, leaving him permanently stuck in the '40s with Peggy - great for him, but a bittersweet moment for the audience.

What they actually ended up doing was better and thematically more poignant for Tony, while also working on a meta level too. I felt a bit disappointed that the film was seemingly coming to an end without a sendoff for Cap, so the old man scene was a wonderfully sappy way to retire him while giving him the happy ending he deserved.

My only gripe - and apparently this is a fairly common one - is Cap's heart to heart with Falcon. It should've been Bucky on the bench, even if it wasn't a passing the torch thing. His friendship with Bucky is the entire throughline of the Cap films - it caused a damn civil war. Falcon is some scrub he's known for 5 minutes with no powers. That heavy ass shield would actually be a burden for him.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I love his ending and wouldn't change it a bit. Dude literally saw hundreds of heroes come together to defeat a universe ending threat. He knows the world is in good hands.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My guess before seeing it was that Tony would gracefully retire and it would be Cap who sacrificed himself, perhaps in a scene where there was only enough "time travel juice" for the rest of the team to get back to the present, leaving him permanently stuck in the '40s with Peggy - great for him, but a bittersweet moment for the audience.

What they actually ended up doing was better and thematically more poignant for Tony, while also working on a meta level too. I felt a bit disappointed that the film was seemingly coming to an end without a sendoff for Cap, so the old man scene was a wonderfully sappy way to retire him while giving him the happy ending he deserved.

My only gripe - and apparently this is a fairly common one - is Cap's heart to heart with Falcon. It should've been Bucky on the bench, even if it wasn't a passing the torch thing. His friendship with Bucky is the entire throughline of the Cap films - it caused a damn civil war. Falcon is some scrub he's known for 5 minutes with no powers. That heavy ass shield would actually be a burden for him.

Bucky and Steve had a final good bye. Bucky knew he wasn't coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.