• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
A 'Star Trek: Discovery' spin-off series centered around Captain Christopher Pike is officially in the works. We have also done some digging and discovered several details about the show.
First off, the Pike-centric series is currently titled "Star Trek: Enterprise." Next, the production title is "Strange New World."​

If the title sticks, it'll be very confusing for Trekkies, to say the least, as there's already a 'Star Trek' series with the same title. The original 'Star Trek: Enterprise' was created by Rick Berman ('Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,' 'Star Trek: Voyager') and Brannon Braga ('Salem,' 'The Orville'). It was the sixth series in the franchise, serving as a prequel to 'Star Trek: The Original Series.' The series followed the adventures of the Enterprise, Earth's first starship capable of traveling at warp five, as it explores the galaxy and encounters various alien species.​
The 'Star Trek' franchise has a tradition of naming their series after the ship that the show primarily follows, so the 'Enterprise' title technically still makes sense. For example, 'Star Trek: Discovery' follows the ship "USS Discovery" and the original 'Star Trek: Enterprise' follows the "USS Enterprise."​

Therefore, this new Captain Pike series sharing the 'Enterprise' name would imply that the show will be following the USS Enterprise again. This seems very likely seeing as how the USS Enterprise ship was left under the command of Captain Pike at the end of 'Star Trek: Discovery' Season 2.​

While looking into the "Strange New World" production title, I noticed that this title has popped up twice before regarding the 'Star Trek' franchise:​
  • 'Strange New World' is the fourth episode of the original 'Star Trek: Enterprise' and was written by Brannon Braga and Rick Berman. David Livingston served as director for the episode. In the episode, the USS Enterprise encounters a new world much like Earth. A small crew stays on the surface overnight to continue researching the planet. During the night, a violently windy storm brews and forces the crew into a local cave. In the cave, however, the crew members believe they are not alone.
  • 'Strange New World' is also the name of a television movie based on concepts envisioned by Gene Roddenberry, the creator of 'Star Trek,' which first aired on July 13, 1975 on ABC. It was originally a TV pilot and the third attempt to bring Roddenberry's post-apocalyptic future vision to the small screen. Prior efforts, called 'Genesis II' and 'Planet Earth,' explored an Earth after a nuclear war and focused on an organization called PAX that was working to bring peace and order to the world.
The series is currently in pre-production, with the scripts for the first season having already been written. A release date is currently unknown.​
This is my first thread, hope I did it right lol​

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Not to rain on OP's parade, but TheGWW is a clickbait site (in the vein of WeGotThisCovered, etc.) that often posts "scoops" that are rarely followed up on.

Don't get me wrong, though, would still love a Pike series.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Conflicted. Pike series seems obviously going to happen, but I kinda want less nostalgia in my trek and more looking forward.

But if this is an opportunity to get something that is more true to the spirit of classic trek, I'm interested. I do like the cast in these roles.

I feel like it's just going to be more Kurtzman-trek so I dunno what the point will be.

OP
OP
Vullein070

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
you're not supposed to self promote your own websites
so I really didn't do it right, huh.

I removed the exclusive tag and didn't add the website name anywhere until it was time to source, I didn't make this thread with self-promotion in mind. I can remove the link if you want me to, or link to another news source that has said this info too without sourcing the website I am sourcing now?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, please wipe out the original enterprise series from existance

Please also be a proper old school style trek series and not like discovery/picard (0% chance here :/ )

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
also pls dramatise this book

Apr 4, 2019
We need that Mudd spin-off series though ahhh
Was just thinking that too.

hm... Not that they have to, but I was thinking they could tie him into Pike somehow what with the disfigurement, and Mudd's Women thing from TOS or something. Maybe they could make something work as an aftermath to The Cage/Menagerie for Pike, involving Mudd - make the illusion work beyond the ability of the Talosians??? I guess they were already shown to be able to do that over a vast distance in Discovery. ah well.

Gah, I'm really fuzzy on the details of TOS, so nevermind!

Or maybe have Mudd try to take credit for Pike's recovery, and then we get a series of all of Mudd's shenanigans and deceptions.

Last edited:

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I really liked Anson Mount in Discovery (one of the very few things I did like in that season, urgh) so it feels right that he gets his own spin-off. And given that CBS Access has nothing else it makes sense for them to make it a priority.

In saying that it's almost guaranteed to be awful. Under Kurtzman's watch we've had three seasons of 'new' Trek and they've all been awful with only DIsco season 2 being marginally less awful than season 1 and Picard.

With that said will I still end up watching it?

Probably. :(

I get why they're going for 'Star Trek: Enterprise' but I agree, just name it Pike. The fans are already calling it Pike or Star Trek Pike anyway.

My two cents?

Star Trek: To Boldly Go.

But knowing CBS it will likely be 'The Star Trek Enterprise' or some nonsense.

OP
OP
Vullein070

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
Section 31, Lower decks, I've heard there was a Picard spin off in the works too - honestly comes across as someone just saying stuff to get clicks rather than money is down sets are being designed.
Section 31 was confirmed to still be in active development two months ago, by a CBS executive at the TCA Press Event.

Lower Decks has been confirmed by several trades websites including The Hollywood Reporter and Variety

There is also a Starfleet Academy series in the works, a Nickelodeon cartoon, a Khan miniseries (which might have been canceled by now) and more.

Jan 29, 2018
If they end up having to save all life in the galaxy I'm going to be fairly annoyed.

But yeah, this isn't too surprising given the response to Anson Mount in Discovery (and that rad Enterprise bridge set they built). I'm going to wait for a second source though before I count on it.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I hope this is true. He was my favorite part of Discovery season 2 and honestly shot up to be one of my favorite captains.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've loved both seasons of Discovery and have been wanting a Pike show so damn bad, I hope this is really happening. Especially as it should mean more Spock too.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure that's legit. They reported another exclusive that Discovery has been Renewed for season 5. Tumbleweeds except for WeGotThisCovered quoting them as a source.

they're likely just putting theories out there that fit what's been suggested but I doubt in any sense they have that good a source when other outlets like Trekcore or Trekmovie dont

thegww.com

Exclusive: 'Star Trek: Discovery' Renewed for Season 5 at CBS All Access | TheGWW.com

CBS All Access has renewed 'Star Trek: Discovery' for a fifth season! CBS is planning on shooting seasons 4 and 5 back-to-back.

also they would never in a million years call it Star Trek: Enterprise. They already rebranded Enterprise to that after Season 2.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
so I really didn't do it right, huh.

I removed the exclusive tag and didn't add the website name anywhere until it was time to source, I didn't make this thread with self-promotion in mind. I can remove the link if you want me to, or link to another news source that has said this info too without sourcing the website I am sourcing now?

Linking to an actual reputable source would be good, as your site isn't known for accuracy.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
lmao, I was actually going to say that Vullein070 would be happy (specially because he would be able to smack the ones doubting him and saying that Star Trek was dead), but I didn't even notice that you're actually the OP! I didn't even know you were in here, heh.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not sure that's legit. They reported another exclusive that Discovery has been Renewed for season 5. Tumbleweeds except for WeGotThisCovered quoting them as a source.

they're likely just putting theories out there that fit what's been suggested but I doubt in any sense they have that good a source when other outlets like Trekcore or Trekmovie dont

thegww.com

Exclusive: 'Star Trek: Discovery' Renewed for Season 5 at CBS All Access | TheGWW.com

CBS All Access has renewed 'Star Trek: Discovery' for a fifth season! CBS is planning on shooting seasons 4 and 5 back-to-back.

also they would never in a million years call it Star Trek: Enterprise. They already rebranded Enterprise to that after Season 2.

the op wrote the article so you can ask him about his sources

OP
OP
Vullein070

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
lmao, I was actually going to say that Vullein070 would be happy (specially because he would be able to smack the ones doubting him and saying that Star Trek was dead), but I didn't even notice that you're actually the OP! I didn't even know you were in here, heh.
Oh yeah haha I've been here for a little bit. Clearly haven't made a good first impression though.

Linking to an actual reputable source would be good, as your site isn't known for accuracy.
Honestly, I don't understand why. You can count all the scoops that we got wrong on one hand and when we're wrong, we admit that we were wrong and apologize. From what I understand we have a better track record than most other scoopers/news websites.

I've also noticed that only ResetEra (and a part of Reddit) seems to dislike the website so much.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah haha I've been here for a little bit. Clearly haven't made a good first impression though.

Honestly, I don't understand why. You can count all the scoops that we got wrong on one hand and when we're wrong, we admit that we were wrong and apologize. From what I understand we have a better track record than most other scoopers/news websites.

I've also noticed that only ResetEra (and a part of Reddit) seems to dislike the website so much.
Don't mistake criticism for lack of credibility. The latter is hard to get. Your brand previously reported Disco season 4 and 5 are being filmed back to back. We've heard no indication of that anywhere. Receipts earn trust but Pike has been discussed as maybe happening for so long now that how can we take the word of a site that doesn't offer proof or timelines

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Still have the feeling if this does go through the name will change. I don't seem them having two shows with the same name in the end. Since the current powers that be seem to have respect for Enterprise based on them willing to reference it in Discovery I don't see them walking over it by reusing the name. Could be wrong but I think it will get another name.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any sense of what vibe they're going for with the show?

This would obv be the first trek series with the original tos/tng/voy/ent style setting for a very long time. I'd very much like it to feel like TOS without the 60s issues

OP
OP
Vullein070

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
Don't mistake criticism for lack of credibility. The latter is hard to get. Your brand previously reported Disco season 4 and 5 are being filmed back to back. We've heard no indication of that anywhere. Receipts earn trust but Pike has been discussed as maybe happening for so long now that how can we take the word of a site that doesn't offer proof or timelines
That's fair. All I can do right now is tell you that if you don't trust a news site's exclusives, check out their other exclusives and see which ones (that aren't easy to guess) turned out to be true and false. I'd love to list you a few of them but I don't want it to seem like I'm cherry-picking.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Not a huge surprise. A few weeks back Marc Bernardin (one of the writers of Picard Season 2) said that they're working on Picard, Discovery and a Pike show on the Fatman Beyond podcast. The podcast was taken down and reuploaded later, with no mention of the Pike show.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge surprise. A few weeks back Marc Bernardin (one of the writers of Picard Season 2) said that they're working on Picard, Discovery and a Pike show on the Fatman Beyond podcast. The podcast was taken down and reuploaded later, with no mention of the Pike show.
What!? He's writing on the show? I didn't realize this. I should pay more attention to the credits. I tend to follow a lot of the writers, actors, sfx crew, and directors of Discovery and Picard (not as many here as I should) on twitter and haven't seen his name come up.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
What!? He's writing on the show? I didn't realize this. I should pay more attention to the credits. I tend to follow a lot of the writers and directors of Discovery and Picard (not as many here as I should) on twitter and haven't seen his name come up.

Season 2 onwards.
www.youtube.com

The Batman, Picard, The Last of Us

Kevin Smith returns to the Scum & Villainy Cantina with Marc Bernardin.01:00 - Intros03:15 - Jay and Silent Bob Reboot09:00 - Eddie Murphy10:30 - Marc’s job ...

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
you should have said "source: me" and the article has no source cited. I'm sorry but all this look like wishful thinking on an outside observer. not a single name, fact. nothing verifiable. it's just "we know that" "it seems". journalism and news reporting doesn't work like this.

Credit where credit's due (and I was critical of OP at first), there IS a DGC entry for Strange New World. Now, whether you can feasibly extrapolate it to mean there's a Pike show in the works is a whole different matter, but there is at least that tidbit.

OP
OP
Vullein070

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
Credit where credit's due (and I was critical of OP at first), there IS a DGC entry for Strange New World. Now, whether you can feasibly extrapolate it to mean there's a Pike show in the works is a whole different matter, but there is at least that tidbit.
There is no way for me to prove that that's a Pike show without burning my sources, but I'd like to point out that all the art directors listed there have worked on Star Trek shows, with one of them having only ever worked on Star Trek shows. So this is very clearly at least a Star Trek series.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
[YouQUOTE="Vullein070, post: 30209453, member: 61041"]

[/QUOTE]

You said you would provide your sources if asked. I asked. Feel free to list these scoops. As it is, you've got a rep about the same as wgtc.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Anson Mount in Discovery (one of the very few things I did like in that season, urgh) so it feels right that he gets his own spin-off. And given that CBS Access has nothing else it makes sense for them to make it a priority.

In saying that it's almost guaranteed to be awful. Under Kurtzman's watch we've had three seasons of 'new' Trek and they've all been awful with only DIsco season 2 being marginally less awful than season 1 and Picard.

This is pretty much how I feel about the current Star Trek shows, with Kurtzman steering the ship I have no faith in this even though I liked Pike in Disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.