• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the new expansion pack for MK 11, Mortal Kombat: Aftermath. I had my issues with MK11, but with all the DLC they've really filled in a lot of the blanks. I didn't really expect much out of the new story mode. I know NRS does amazing work with story modes, but the idea of Shang Tsung, Nightwolf and Fujin going time travelling through the same shit we already did didn't seem that appealing

5 minutes into meeting Shang Tsung, played by his actual actor from the movie Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, you just fucking hate and love this dude. His actor nails the voice and the mocap matches his slimy, treacherous ways to a tee. I genuinely think he's the best character to come out of all these NRS games, which is pretty high praise given the quality of their story modes. So many people got converted into Shang Tsung fans just because of Tagawa's performance.

So I just wanted to recognize it because no one will be thinking about him at the end of the year when rewards come and everyone's throwing out Last of Us 2 performances or Ghost of whatever as they're not labeled as 'fighting games'

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like Giant Bomb will recognise his performance. Alex was gushing over Cary on last week's Beastcast.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
He's incredible in Aftermath. So entertaining.

Any non-Tagawa version of the character in future games is going to feel like a downgrade.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Despite being only one of many roles that he's known for, I do think he gets a kick out of being Shang Tsung.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hell, even his role in the vanilla game was pretty dang special. His presence was one of the only reasons why going to the Kyrpt when the Krypt was still broken and unbalanced was special. I can't begin to know when they planned on doing this story DLC, but having it center around him was a brilliant move. I would like to see his face on the product more in the same way that Christopher Judge was regularly featured for marketing on God of War.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Every move he made...every word...you were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's partly why Shang is one of my mains. Awesome character here.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
MK11 In general is a fucking masterpiece in many ways, not only Shang, many other characters are amazing, Liu Kang or fucking Raiden for example, they all feel so alive and geniune, I love it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just watched the Aftermath story on Youtube yesterday and was like "Damn he is good. No Shang Tsung actor (voice or live) is going to be able to compare to him." Genius to make him such a big part of the story.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
So I just wanted to recognize it because no one will be thinking about him at the end of the year when rewards come and everyone's throwing out Last of Us 2 performances or Ghost of whatever as they're not labeled as 'fighting games'
That's how I felt when Ryuji from Persona 5's actor wasn't nominated for anything despite being one of the best performances ever.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know of anyone who hasn't brought his performance up as simply amazing. I will remember it for a long time

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His performance is legendary, but I also want to credit the devs responsible for the facial capture/modeling/animations, his expressions are A+++

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even if I wasn't a big fan of Aftermath and some of its choices, it was THE Tagawa show and he was electric every second he was on screen.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Man carried the Aftermath DLC on his fucking back. It's honestly one of the more impressive role reprisals I've ever seen. He is Shang Tsung.

Oct 28, 2017
Cary Tagawa's performance as Shang Tsung in MK11 is definitely gonna be well remembered, he embodies the character more than anyone.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
And thanks for being a prick who acts like abusers are owed redemption and that anyone who feels otherwise is being unreasonable and should just be quiet. That's a cool attitude to express to an abuse victim!
1) I'm an abuse victim too, just to give some perspective (my father abused me and my mom).
2) If someone has actually gone through with changing their ways, like going to classes, not running from what they did, etc, then yes I'm going to give credit where it's due. This isn't something like a Chris Brown situation where they clearly don't give a shit and try to paint themselves as a victim. I dunno where you got that I'm trying to shush you, but ok.

This will also be the last time I respond to you in this thread because it's been derailed enough. My PMs are open if you wanna keep going.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Agreed. One of the best villain turns in gaming. I haven't seen a villain chew scenery that well since Wesker

I hope they keep using him tbh

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
He was my favorite part of Aftermath, perfectly captures the shifty, duplicitous aura of Shang Tsung perfectly.

He almost, ALMOST made up for
NRS's doubling down on that fucking awful retcon of Sindel
but even having such a good performance as ST couldn't wipe that bad taste of THAT out of my mouth with the Aftermath story.

Status
Not open for further replies.