• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
3fa042b7441e14cfbc47f9c630014643.png

6fd8c2b649ffa5809a07d82a12d17206.png

fleet of 60 drones has been deployed in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou to keep people indoors and remind those going out to wear masks.

China has largely stamped out cases of local COVID-19 transmission, but Guangzhou has seen a flare-up of the more infectious delta variant of the virus, initially discovered in India.
Six new cases were reported in Guangzhou over the previous 24 hours, raising the number in the outbreak to more than 100.
The police-operated drones carry cameras and broadcast messages to people venturing outdoors that they and others are best protected by staying inside.

The flying unmanned vehicles add to an already dense layer of monitoring including cellphone health confirmations, temperature checks and quarantines for those living in or travelling to areas where the risk of infection is considered high.

Gungzhou has isolated several neighborhoods, restricted travel out of the city and the surrounding province and shuttered cinemas and other indoor entertainment venues.
china.huanqiu.com

广州警方60架无人机高空普法 助力疫情防控

6月12日,端午假期首日,广州警方 在海珠区太古仓码头、鹤洞桥底、佛山南海 等 靠近荔湾区芳村区域的地点 部署60架无人机 , 针对荔湾区疫情防控重点区域开展巡控工作, 提醒群众做好防护
chinapost.nownews.com

The Latest: China city deploys drones to keep people inside | The China Post, Taiwan

BEIJING — A fleet of 60 drones has been deployed in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou to keep people indoors and remind those going out to wear masks. China has largely stamped out cases of local COVID-19 transmission, but Guangzhou has seen a flare-up of the more infectious delta variant...

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
User banned (permanent): racism, sinophobia, previously banned for the same thing
China is a hell scape.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this is "friendlier" than that time the CCP were literally boarding their residents into their apartments to get them to stay inside? 🤔

Communist party improving?

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I suppose this is "friendlier" than that time the CCP were literally boarding their residents into their apartments to get them to stay inside? 🤔

Communist party improving?
Last year, drones were used in the same way as remote monitoring and warning systems as part of the covid control measures: https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1658091770122766685&wfr=spider&for=pc

Its main purpose is to reduce the labor-hours the police needs to enforce the covid lockdown measures, since it prevents the police from having to physically move around in most cases. This measure is definitely needed, because a not insignificant number of police officers died/were hospitalized from overwork and infection last year in Wuhan.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Something drones are not needed to fix

Whether you like it or not, drones will become tools of governing for all governments across the globe in the future.

See the exact same usage in USA last year.

www.google.com

Police agencies are using drones to enforce stay-at-home orders, raising concerns among civil rights groups

Civil rights groups have pushed back, saying some drone capabilities, such as detecting body temperature, are invasive and pose privacy concerns.

These are not the same Predator drones the USAF uses to bomb stuff.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for hating the Chinese government for all the horrible shit they do, but this ranks pretty low for me. Not in China, but I have a friend, 28, recovering from cancer, and the city she lives in is exploding in new cases because people, esp. young people (students) are being irresponsible and aren't heeding municipal COVID guidelines.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Eh. I mean, its a plague. I wish democracy would allow for govt to tell you to shut the fuck up and stay at home because there is a plague going on sometimes. Imagine where we would be.

ONLY in case of pandemic. Not slippery slope. Literally only to contain the spread of a virus.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
And when their not? You and I both know that's where it's going.

They're going to give, citations, to innocent people that will clear it up in court?

I understand the issue though. And yes, this is our future. But the problem is the governments/elected officials behind the technology. Drones could be used for good, but they will definitely be used for evil.

In this exact instance though, and possible spread of another layer of global virus.. i dunno... maybe its ok? I mean this is happening one way or another. Its not like drones are going away anytime soon. Sane people have to be elected into positions that are controlling the drones.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Lol why are people saying that drones being used to broadcast messages and tell people to stay indoors for lockdown is 'going too far'. It's a really straightforward measure.

it's something that the US should have done, when they were having the worlds worst outbreak of civid, but in the US people probably would have shot at them.

there are plenty of things to criticise the Chinese government on, but I don't think this is one of them.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The new naming convention of mutations of the virus makes it sound extremely menacing. Covid-19 Delta sounds scary as fuck.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
Based on the topic, does it sound like they have it under control?

Isn't that the goal of these measures (the drones)?

The article states "Six new cases were reported in Guangzhou over the previous 24 hours, raising the number in the outbreak to more than 100" - compared to literal hundreds of thousands per day here - hell yes they have it under control.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
In those cases, the systems driving those decisions isn't much different than the systems in DLSS 2.0. They're not sentient.

Not a single post you've made has been capable of swaying even a single person over to your argument. This is BAD, and quite frankly someone needs to be passing legislature against this right now.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
theyre exporting all of their vaccines to flex their soft power.
They are exporting just under half of their vaccine last time I checked, could have changed since, but pretty sure still most of their vaccines go to their domestic market.
They are vaccinating a lot of people domestically, more than any country in the world, there are just a lot of Chinese people.

Eh. I mean, its a plague. I wish democracy would allow for govt to tell you to shut the fuck up and stay at home because there is a plague going on sometimes. Imagine where we would be.

ONLY in case of pandemic. Not slippery slope. Literally only to contain the spread of a virus.
I'm in Seattle and they put the whole city under curfew and sent the military in because people were protesting police brutality.
The US government is capable of doing a lot of things, i think it's just a questions of priorities.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
The only "surprise" I have is they are still doing it by human on site. I thought they would have some kind of centralized, semi automated approach already.

While I wish covid restriction is better enforced here, I don't really want to have drone flying on top of my head.

We're still doing this? I assumed they'd be vaccinated by now.

Their vaccine is not the that good. The "real world" number in Chile is like 3% after the 1st dose, ~20% after the second dose and ~60% 2 weeks after second dose. They only ramp up their vaccination recently. There are some vaccine hesitancy in some part of Asia/Australia mostly because they have low cases.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Their vaccine is not the that good. The "real world" number in Chile is like 3% after the 1st dose, ~20% after the second dose and ~60% 2 weeks after second dose. They only ramp up their vaccination recently. There are some vaccine hesitancy in some part of Asia/Australia mostly because they have low cases.
oof, that's slow/low

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm in Seattle and they put the whole city under curfew and sent the military in because people were protesting police brutality.
The US government is capable of doing a lot of things, i think it's just a questions of priorities.

I wouldn't trust our government, oddly enough, considering the topic. To pull this off. So Ill say that I wish the population & their voted in politicians would do so -- in a non police state/ shooting minorities way. We had our asses handed to us by covid. IF we chilled out for a month, we'd all be doing pretty well now.

Last edited:

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
China is.

How the hell is that even a question? Do you not watch the news?

Maybe I don't allow my view of a country is shaped purely by news on the internet, which may POSSIBLY skew negative - and have actual direct feedback from people living in said country

Imagine the news you were getting about a country is about how the pandemic was allowed to get out control, where MAGATs would assult you for asking them to wear a mask, and that there are mass shootings almost on a daily basis

Anyways - let's not get off topic too much

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I don't allow my view of a country is shaped purely by news on the internet, which may POSSIBLY skew negative - and have actual direct feedback from people living in said country
You can't actually be serious with this shit? Just stop.

www.resetera.com

Canada's parliament passes 266-0 motion saying China's treatment of Uighurs constitutes genocide News

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-canada-trudeau/canadas-parliament-passes-motion-saying-chinas-treatment-of-uighurs-is-genocide-idUSKBN2AM2KZ?il=0

www.resetera.com

First hand account of being Uighur in China: 'They tortured me for hours' News

A follow up thread to the previous ITV report https://www.resetera.com/threads/being-uighur-in-china-after-nazi-germany-the-world-said-never-again-but-it-is.280604/ https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-04/being-an-uighur-muslim-in-china-they-tortured-me-for-hours

www.resetera.com

More drone footage shows Uighurs, sitting bound and blindfolded, loaded on train cars

What in the world is the CCP doing? Poor people.

And that is just the few threads I remembered off the top of my head. This has nothing to do with "the internet" shaping anything. This is reality. Try joining the rest of us in it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Thread has been locked while we review a large number of reports. This may take an extended period of time. Any updates will be added to this post. Thank you for your patience.

Update: Thread got off to a bad start and the trajectory doesn't seem much brighter. As a result it's staying locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.