• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are Chinese government atrocities as bad as Nazi Germany?

• Yes

Votes: 85 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all time, yes.

current government? probably won't know for sure until many years from now when all the gritty details come out, but it's looking likely.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
There was a time I'd have rolled my eyes at the comparison, but there's almost no denying it now. What's even worse is that China has solid grip on the world economy. Even America bends its knee to their influence.

We're a frog in a boiling pot right now.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Trying to compare the moral values of various imperial states across history is impossible. What do you make of regime changes? Of the collapse of entire societies? If you're just going by "net death caused", who is going to beat the United Kingdom or the USA?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I think China is more like Russia, which killed more of its own citizens than the Nazis. China isn't expansionist like Germany was. It's more about crushing dissent in the most brutal and repressive way imaginable.

It's a modern day Stalinist state.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I don't like discussing this stuff like it's about powerlevels. Both are terrible, but quantifying it in that way doesn't really help discussions about the topic.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think China is more like Russia, which killed more of its own citizens than the Nazis. China isn't expansionist like Germany was. It's more about crushing dissent in the most brutal and repressive way imaginable.

Gobbling up South China Sea isn't expansionist? Putting vulnerable countries in debt and seizing their properties like ports isn't expansionist?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yes the govt there has done shit in so many ways of not only for loss of human life, but stealing intellectual property, pretending to help the African Union but proceeding to bug an entire building, they are using their economic power currently to influence things and it's a disgusting mix. I want all American companies to pull out of China.

this is why the US NOT makings a trade deal with other southern Asian countries was such a huge mistake to help reduce the influence the chinese govts have.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass interment camps? Inhumane tests on subjects based on ethnicity? Torture of innocent civilians in the name of security? Grand ideas of superiority? Whilst they've not reached the levels of evil seen in Nazi Germany, the markings of that trajectory is there and its harrowing to think of.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Gobbling up South China Sea isn't expansionist? Putting vulnerable countries in debt and seizing their properties like ports isn't expansionist?

Not to the extent Germany was. Russia was expansionist as well, but neither China or Russia compare with how Germany invaded everyone. I still think China mirrors Russia more than any other modern regime. They are more effective and better at PR.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Better in some ways, worse than others. Historical comparisons like this aren't really useful.

But yes, they've been engaging in Lebensraum-like land grabs, ethnic cleansing, and generally taking advantage of the fact the world doesn't want to fight them. There's parallels. They've been doing those things for decades, none of it was invented by Nazi Germany, and I doubt Xi's China will be the last to engage in them.

Oct 25, 2017
Not only genocidal and authoritarian, but a climatological nightmare. They're not great.

What's interesting on this front is that China is actually eco-fascist. They have a lot of industrialization to clean up but they are doing it much faster than anywhere in the world. The benefit of being able to tell people to do whatever you want and disappear those that don't comply.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
They are currently destroying the Uyghur population through genocide and reeducation camps and supplanting it with Chinese Han population.

Yes they are just as bad.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

I think I would agree with this.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not to the extent Germany was. Russia was expansionist as well, but neither China or Russia compare with how Germany invaded everyone. I still think China mirrors Russia more than any other modern regime. They are more effective and better at PR.

I think China's occupation of Xinjiang and Tibet - two regions with historic ties to China but their own cultures and identities - is comparable to German occupation of Czechoslovakia and Austria. Arguably Poland, too. The major difference is time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're quickly heading in that direction; they aren't quite there yet but they're very close.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I think China's occupation of Xinjiang and Tibet - two regions with historic ties to China but their own cultures and identities - is comparable to German occupation of Czechoslovakia and Austria. Arguably Poland, too. The major difference is time.
Yeah the tactics used to occupy those regions points to a brutal expansionist streak in line with Nazi Germany, colonial America, and the British Empire. It's bad shit.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's heading there, but still quite a ways off. I feel people are throwing around comparisons to Nazi Germany to quickly.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is just the shit you know about. Imagine what they get up to in secret, or what they did before the advent of the internet.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

The political situation is pretty distinct. Both regions have been occupied by China since the Qing dynasty. Tibet did enjoy a period of de facto independence in the early 20th century, but was still internationally recognized as under the jurisdiction of China.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Yes absolutely. Ethnic cleansing, organ harvesting, forced abortions, crushing decent, unmatched censorship, the list goes on and on. It will only get worse too. There is no scenario where it doesn't get worse.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

It was a Stalinist state when Stalin was still around.

This is just the shit you know about. Imagine what they get up to in secret, or what they did before the advent of the internet.

We know that. The worst atrocities are still The Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution 40 or 50 years ago. I don't know why people think these things are new just because they affect American corporations' bottom line now.

Status
Not open for further replies.