• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not cloud saves, this is a seperate "Island Backup Restoration Service" presumably with more restrictions than Nintendo's cloud save service.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
fucking finally, absolutely insane they didnt have that from the jump. great they have cloud saves now.

Jun 26, 2018
Because the way Animal Crossing "saves" is actually unique as the save is shared among all user accounts, instead of having 1 save for 1 user.

No saving data is ever "unique", regardless of the shape of data, the end result is always a save file, which could be stored in the cloud without issue. Unless you're Nintendo, of course.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Why though? That seems so pointless and annoying
Design choice to force everyone to live on the same island. The cynical take is that it's to make ppl buy extra switches, and the generous take is that Nintendo wanted ppl to share islands for the social / community elements of the series. I think it's both a little bit?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
After playing for a month or so and getting to the post-game, I could see myself coming back after a few of these updates. I'm just not into the decorating aspects, though and need a liiiiitle something more. I also wish the characters had more personality/of a point to them.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Why not just make saves server side so it won't be exploited?
Do you honestly expect AC devs to put up their own file server when they can't figure out a way since the inclusion of multiplayer in AC to not take two fucking minutes per person joining? I have no trust in nintendo's online anything.

Because the way Animal Crossing "saves" is actually unique as the save is shared among all user accounts, instead of having 1 save for 1 user.

I disagree with how they chose to do things, because the current implementation means there is the main person who plays, who can do everything, and the family members, who can't. Either let everyone have the same permission levels or allow customization of permission levels, or do 1 save per person.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Are we getting something instead of fireworks in the southern hemisphere? It's winter here.
okRpobY.jpg

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No saving data is ever "unique", regardless of the shape of data, the end result is always a save file, which could be stored in the cloud without issue. Unless you're Nintendo, of course.

This is not the problem.

A practical example. User A, user B and user C shares the same Switch console.

- In any game user A has its own save A, user B has save B and user C has save C. There is a 1:1 correlation between user and save.
- In AC user A, user B and user C all save on the save X that is shared between the 3 users.

This makes the NSO cloud save feature technically inadequate to deal with AC. If user C for example could move the save on another console it would remove all A and B progress on the original Switch too.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I was sorta expecting fireworks to tie into some sort of summer event, but since they're like every week and bug offs are in the summer I guess they're okay just pausing the regular events for a couple months. Things will pick up in the fall and into winter, though, at least.

Jun 26, 2018
This is not the problem.

A practical example. User A, user B and user C shares the same Switch console.

- In any game user A has its own save A, user B has save B and user C has save C. There is a 1:1 correlation between user and save.
- In AC user A, user B and user C all save on the save X that is shared between the 3 users.

This makes the NSO cloud save feature technically inadequate to deal with AC. If user C for example could move the save on another console it would remove all A and B progress on the original Switch too.

But why would it need to remove progress from A and B? It could just merge those saves in the cloud, or ask players to sync saves before starting if it's been altered elsewhere or if player B moves to another console, just give them their own save copied from the other save.

Also, cloud saves aren't necessarily for playing on multiple consoles at the same time obviously, so some restrictions would be fine, but not supporting it at all is some weirdness.

Status
Not open for further replies.