• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/politics/beto-orourke-funk-drive-2020/index.html

O'Rourke, 46, we are told, is "Obama, but white," because of his fundraising prowess -- he raised nearly $80 million in his loss to Sen. Ted Cruz. He skateboards! He listens! He connects on the internet!

And Jack Kerouac-style, he roams around, jobless (does he not need a job?) to find himself and figure out if he wants to lead the free world. This is a luxury no woman or even minority in politics could ever have.

But O'Rourke, tall, handsome, white and male, has this latitude, to be and do anything. His privilege even allows him to turn a loss to the most despised candidate of the cycle into a launching pad for a White House run.

Stacey Abrams, a Yale-trained lawyer, couldn't do this.

O'Rourke is being criticized for his randomness. For his TMI'ing and for his "what do I want to do with my life" aimlessness.
But the fact that he knows he has the freedom to cast about as a campaign-in-waiting forms, shows how much of his political identity is predicated on being white and male.
Hmm.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ya ya ya texas is beyond tough for a dem, but it's deeply hilarious to me that this guy is still getting traction after losing to booger eating satan

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what an asshole, sitting on his ass and helping bunches of people dumped by border patrol at bus stations. I don't fully disagree with the article, but it's kind of over the top. He never said he was going to run. Mad at a bunch of hearsay and rumors. Like, what's the goal? Raise public awareness about white privilege? Bully Beto into running?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Rather than male privilege its wealthy privilege, I'm at a loss why the article refuses to acknowledge he's loaded. It's not difficult to figure out his finances.

edit: Dismissing his accomplishment being nearly able to beat Cruz in red Texas, breaking small donation records and being able to capture the nation's attention with his charisma is a bad faith argument. Then again acknowledging those strengths wound undermine why he's seen as a rising star in political circles.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Gee I wonder why he would be uncertain about running for president when he's not even in office or officially running for anything and gets hit pieces like this

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, okay? Is this what passes for an article these days? I learned nothing about Beto, or any of the women they author mentioned, except that Stacey Abrams went to Yale.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
You said it though, Texas would vote for booger-eating Satan before a Democrat.

The largest issue with that state is that Latinx turnout is dismal. It's blue along the border and in metro areas. The state itself could turn entirely purple with just a bit more representation and involvement of our Latino and Latina brothers and sisters. (Which is why I'm angry that Julian Castro was too chickenshit to run for a statewide office before running for president.)

--

On the topic of the article:

Did she lie? His recent actions are telegraphing that he may have a hard time against "serious" politicians like Warren, Harris and Gillibrand.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Gee I wonder why he would be uncertain about running for president when he's not even in office or officially running for anything and gets hit pieces like this

This isn't a hit piece. This is an opinion. Hit pieces are presented as objective and factual. See: All of the reporting Fox News did on Hillary Clinton.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks a lot to idiotic hit pieces like that and purity tests when/if we get a second Trump term!

The political left has already begun its self-destructing cycle.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know when I vote in 2020 I want someone with zero charisma. Beto is out of the running for me. Look at him eating crackers

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tired of all these bernie-stans trying to tear down Beto.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, okay? Is this what passes for an article these days? I learned nothing about Beto, or any of the women they author mentioned, except that Stacey Abrams went to Yale.
This. Many people have a number on Beto's head while they continue to look for this fabled perfect progressive Dem candidate.

Thanks a lot to idiotic hit pieces like that and purity tests when/if we get a second Trump term!

Preach

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The largest issue with that state is that Latinx turnout is dismal. It's blue along the border and in metro areas. The state itself could turn entirely purple with just a bit more representation and involvement of our Latino and Latina brothers and sisters. (Which is why I'm angry that Julian Castro was too chickenshit to run for a statewide office before running for president.)

--

On the topic of the article:

Did she lie? His recent actions are telegraphing that he may have a hard time against "serious" politicians like Warren, Harris and Gillibrand.
Latinx is not a word. Latino can be both male and genderless. If you want to use the plural word just say Latino please. As a Spanish speaker first I implore you to use the word that actually has meaning. I don't know how this became a thing but it sucks.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I love Bernie but I really don't understand that hate for Beto.
I liked Bernie cause of his policies and I will judge the next democratic candidates on the issues they push.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
That's just him being rich. Less to do with him being a lucky sob than with a system that's fucked. Finding out if he is aware of that luck/privilige and if it's a policy of his to balance that system a little more to favor those less lucky would be a far more interesting question.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, who even cares at this point? Sure he has some privilege, but shit like this will only help Trump in the end! I want whoever can beat that orange bastard. If it takes another white male--so be it!

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
As others pointed out this opinion piece was done entirely in bad faith and is honestly grasping for straws. I've never had any particular interest in O'Rourke, but reading this just left a terrible taste in my mouth.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a bad take one might expect on somebody's Medium post. It's almost a parody. Criticize Beto for voting right of the median Democrat or for where he gets his money, not this dreck.

Tired of all these bernie-stans trying to tear down Beto.
I liked Bernie cause of his policies and I will judge the next democratic candidates on the issues they push.

Are these jokes? This thing is the opposite of the criticism a Bernie stan would make.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
same could be said of obama in 2006, only he was able to secure a "job" being in a blue state.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Latinx is not a word. Latino can be both male and genderless. If you want to use the plural word just say Latino please. As a Spanish speaker first I implore you to use the word that actually has meaning. I don't know how this became a thing but it sucks.
While I much prefer "Latine", as it sounds much better in conversations, Latinx is absolutely a word. An English word, btw.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx
Language changes and expands all the time, that's (sometimes annoyingly) just how it is.
(if you feel like this merits a discussion, feel free to PM me or start a thread, since I think we'll get in trouble for derailing)

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A politician goes on a tour before deciding whether to run? Unheard of!

But, seriously, yeah dude is rich and has privilege (Something he has in common with st. Bernard), duh. The attacks from the Bernie crowd against Beto have just been so damn low tier nothings for the most part.

Beto's inexperienced, never won a statewide election, lost to cruz, and his brand is entirely about how personable he is rather than his ideas (Something I hate about a lot of politicians, honestly), and has had a few questionable votes. That's more than enough reason not to prefer him without making yourself seem desperate to get rid of him.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who saw dems latch onto and push Beto to run 5 seconds after his race ended, but always failing to mention Or attach that same energy to Abrams or Gillum was always transparent to me.

I mean, do we really need to pull up that thread about Dems needing to run a white guy in2020 so they could win?

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it is actually incredibly important to discuss the underlying point being made in this article . It's not necessarily JUST about Beto - it's about the fact that what this article says is true: a woman or POC would NEVER get away with this. They have to be on their A+++++ game at all times, and even then, it's not enough.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Hm... i'd say Abrams sounds more impressive to me so i see the point the article is trying to make. but we can either live in reality or fantasy land. People love their handsome charismatic white men!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
It's more a re-examination of the Beto-love. Its good to realize when you're desperate and to reconsider your motives accordingly, and all of that, etc.

I feel like it is actually incredibly important to discuss the underlying point being made in this article . It's not necessarily JUST about Beto - it's about the fact that what this article says is true: a woman or POC would NEVER get away with this. They have to be on their A+++++ game at all times, and even then, it's not enough.
if they aren't, the party might actually sink them (via non-support) for a meh, moderate white guy.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the absolute stupidest articles produced by CNN, which is saying a lot considering Chris Cillizza works there.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Latinx is absolutely a word that is used in Latin America. Other examples are chicxs, amigx, etc. It's not uncommon

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
And Jack Kerouac-style, he roams around, jobless (does he not need a job?) to find himself and figure out if he wants to lead the free world. This is a luxury no woman or even minority in politics could ever have.

This part is total bullshit.

He's jobless because his 3rd term just ended in Congress and he gave it up willingly to focus on his Senate bid vs. Ted Cruz last year, which as a Democrat, was a pretty fucking huge battle. The fact that it was even close was pretty impressive and required a whole lot of campaigning.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
The editorial has a point but Beto still probably has a better chance of winning than Abrams because Beto is white (and, crucially, from the South) , so even if Democrats might prefer Abrams or other minority candidates it's assumed Beto has a better shot so should get the most energy.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean yeah he's wealthy. I don't remember the last President that didn't have some wealth. Sadly, that's a requirement for running for President. And it can be applied to pretty much every serious candidate ever.

He's also currently an unemployed wealthy man who's spending his time interviewing immigrants and meeting with the people. Shrug. I'd like to see every candidate doing what Beto is doing. Getting out there, when not in congress.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Most presidential candidates, including Obama, do, or have done, similar trips around the US before actually announcing their plans to run for President. I agree that he is not the best candidate for the job, at this time, but there is literally nothing wrong with the way he is approaching this.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I see the crazy people on the left are already pulling their weight to get Trump a 2nd term.

It's like they learned nothing form 2016 by continuing writing these idiotic articles.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Don't understand the point of this at all. If he's not running for president, then who the fuck cares what he does with his time? And if he is running, well, this aimless wandering doesn't seem all that aimless

Anybody who saw dems latch onto and push Beto to run 5 seconds after his race ended, but always failing to mention Or attach that same energy to Abrams or Gillum was always transparent to me.
Beto outraised them (and virtually everyone else), drew the biggest crowds, and kept the margins close in a much harder state for Dems than Florida or Georgia. Abrams and Gillum are great and their losses were really disheartening. I don't think people are pushing Beto over them for 2020 because they are racist, but because he has a national profile and rockstar appeal that basically no other Dem, Gillum and Abrams included, have.

I totally expect and hope Gillum to run for president some day though.

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Generally I love watching the left self-destructing but you guys have Donald fucking Trump in the Office. Do we really need to do the purity test circus NOW? Can't it wait after the election? It's not going to be less fun, I promise.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017

Absolutely, sickening and predictable, I bet we end up with Hillary or some other loser. When second term Trump rolls around it's going to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.