• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
So our youngest child started kindergarten yesterday. We're zoned to a wonderful school, and our oldest has had a fantastic experience there so far.

Before the start of the term, we got our class assignment for our youngest and, as people our age do, we looked up the teacher to see their background. What we found is concerning, but I'm wondering if we're overreacting.

Essentially, this teacher has set up multiple profiles on one of the main platforms, with many of the posts across each being completely incoherent rambling about religion (some of which are pretty out there but to each their own). Add to that, interactions are almost totally confined to them interacting with themselves on the platform (across accounts). It's incredibly bizarre. They removed many of the most eye-raising posts over the weekend, but I have screenshots. Liking each post from the other account with almost systematic regularity makes me worry for their wellbeing.

The teacher is new to the school and no one really knows them. We have considered asking for our child to be moved to another class out of concern, but I don't want to overreact. I also just genuinely feel bad for the teacher, because based on the posts described, they seem sad. We have always strived to be the type of supportive parents to our kids' teachers (volunteering, expressing appreciation, etc), and I hate the thought of being a 'concerned parent.'

What would you do?

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Go undercover in school?

71J+gODcuiL._SL1500_.jpg

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Is the content you found hateful or abusive? Does it impact their ability to provide a safe education environment for your child? If not I would let it go.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Is the content you found hateful or abusive? Does it impact their ability to provide a safe education environment for your child? If not I would let it go.
Pretty much. The teacher should have her privacy settings sorted, but it's really not for you to judge if the answer to the above is "No".

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I assume you've left something out because that doesn't sound like anything that is a concern coming to their ability to teach.

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017

Great question and something I should have addressed in the initial post. No nothing hateful or abusive. Nothing that would make me worry for my child's safety.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Great question and something I should have addressed in the initial post. No nothing hateful or abusive. Nothing that would make me worry for my child's safety.
Would need an actual example of what they said to be able to understand this honestly.

Could be anything from "move your kid now!" to "you're massively over-reacting".

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Would need an actual example of what they said to be able to understand this honestly.

Could be anything from "move your kid now!" to "you're massively over-reacting".

Ha, fair. It's honestly pretty hard to track when someone is both a fan of Ben Carson yet also into the type of stuff where you expect the person to carry around one of those squiggly daggers and wear an animal head.

I wouldn't typically expect those two things to go together.

Aug 30, 2020
Can you post a heavily censored example here?

Mainly I find it strange that they just now removed their posts, and they were visible earlier.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Do other parents of era do background checks on their kids' teachers? First I've ever heard of this, but I guess it makes sense.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure what kind of platform you mean here, 'cause I'm suffering from being both stupid and Swedish, but do you mean like a digital platform connected to the school in some way? Or is this just some platform not connected to the school at all?

When the school where I work started getting more into digital tools and the like, some of the teachers had several accounts in several different forums/classrooms/stuff, mainly to test things out, and they just posted dumb shit to do so, basically (none of which was visible to students or parents, unless they accidentally made it public), but I take it this isn't a scenario like that?

EDIT: Ah, I get it now. I should go to bed. Nevermind.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Can you give a rewritten version of the texts or interactions?

Rewriting something in a different way is usually pretty easy without quoting someone.

I mean, if she's quoting Tucker Carlson and insane conspiracy theories, I'd be worried enough to contact my school's principal.

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Can you give a rewritten version of the texts or interactions?

Rewriting something in a different way is usually pretty easy without quoting someone.

I mean, if she's quoting Tucker Carlson and insane conspiracy theories, I'd be worried enough to contact my school's principal.

Slightly changing this to protect them but along the lines of:

"me..., I am mind reader. I get IT" with a blurry picture of some kids.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
… Essentially, this teacher has set up multiple profiles on one of the main platforms, with many of the posts across each being completely incoherent rambling about religion (some of which are pretty out there but to each their own). Add to that, interactions are almost totally confined to them interacting with themselves on the platform (across accounts). It's incredibly bizarre. They removed many of the most eye-raising posts over the weekend, but I have screenshots. Liking each post from the other account with almost systematic regularity makes me worry for their wellbeing.

The teacher is new to the school and no one really knows them. We have considered asking for our child to be moved to another class out of concern, but I don't want to overreact. I also just genuinely feel bad for the teacher, because based on the posts described, they seem sad. We have always strived to be the type of supportive parents to our kids' teachers (volunteering, expressing appreciation, etc), and I hate the thought of being a 'concerned parent.'

What would you do?

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's not you or your kid's responsibility to help that teacher feel better. If you're feeling something is off, don't put your child in that situation. Listen to your gut and ask for a change in class if the school will allow it.

Imagine the regret you'll feel if stuff goes left and you could have helped your child avoid it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Then it's fine. Teachers are allowed to be people and believe shit too.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly changing this to protect them but along the lines of:

She mainly only interacts with herself? Could be some sort of journaling concept. I mean, I don't get it either, but it doesn't sound harmful necessarily. Lots of times we think "normal" has a narrower definition than it actually does, there's plenty of room within normalcy for some pretty weird shit.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The way you are describing whatever it is this person is doing online is completely inscrutable, OP.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So the teacher has multiple facebook accounts that they use to post a bunch of ramblings and then like/comment on each others profiles with?

That isn't exactly perfectly healthy normal behaviour. It's weird, but I don't know about dangerous. Does remind me of that fan-fiction author who had a billion alt accounts and wrote bible fan fiction and commented and argued with themself online from that one SarahZ video.

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
So the teacher has multiple facebook accounts that they use to post a bunch of ramblings and then like/comment on each others profiles with?

That isn't exactly perfectly healthy normal behaviour. It's weird, but I don't know about dangerous. Does remind me of that fan-fiction author who had a billion alt accounts and wrote bible fan fiction and commented and argued with themself online from that one SarahZ video.

It is very much in line with this. Dangerous? No. Concerning to have such a person with your 5 year old 8 hours a day 5 days a week? yes.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, LT.

Sorry you're going through, this must be tough. I wonder if my student's parents were doing the same thing when I taught.

Personally, I know it's difficult (and I'm no parent) but I personally would see taking action at this point as an overreaction. That includes even bringing up the idea of asking about the possibility of switching rooms or teachers, which can have an unintended but deleterious effect on how schools run, IMO. Good teachers can come in all personality types and they are allowed to have beliefs, views, and habits. In fact, they're probably better teachers for their eccentricity in many cases.

I'd simply monitor and check in with your kid often and see if anything really stands out. If something stands out, I think you'll know it.

Be well.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

They really typed "I am mind reader"? Like, is that your bad grammar, or theirs? I'm not saying a teacher having poor grammar is enough reason to pull a child out of their class, but I would want my kids kindergarten teacher to be able to string 5 words together. Whatever, based on the info you've provided I wouldn't be pushing the panic button yet. Maybe they have a couple glasses of wine at night and start fucking around on Facebook (I assume that's what we're talking about), and I guess so long as that's not effecting their teaching, then I'd probably just leave it alone.

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, LT.

Sorry you're going through, this must be tough. I wonder if my student's parents were doing the same thing when I taught.

Personally, I know it's difficult (and I'm no parent) but I personally would see taking action at this point as an overreaction. That includes even bringing up the idea of asking about the possibility of switching rooms or teachers, which can have an unintended but deleterious effect on how schools run, IMO. Good teachers can come in all personality types and they are allowed to have beliefs, views, and habits. In fact, they're probably better teachers for their eccentricity in many cases.

I'd simply monitor and check in with your kid often and see if anything really stands out. If something stands out, I think you'll know it.

Be well.

Thanks Spyder. That has been my default response but I wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring my gut incorrectly. You've made me feel better.

Mar 9, 2018
Yeah, that's a little weird. It depends on the content, but it sounds like the content is a little disturbing. I think it is definitely something to at least note.

Do the things they write about make reference to the students, the school, or themselves? Do they write about themselves having an important religious role or connection with religious things?

Have you seen this teacher in person btw? How do they act? Anything peculiar about them, their behavior, or their appearance?

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Ha, fair. It's honestly pretty hard to track when someone is both a fan of Ben Carson yet also into the type of stuff where you expect the person to carry around one of those squiggly daggers and wear an animal head.

I wouldn't typically expect those two things to go together.

What the hell does this post even mean?? I'm really confused OP.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
As a teacher, I can tell you that you have the right to request any teacher you want, but you shouldn't make an issue out of it unless there is an issue.

Like I have a student whose parent requested me, but that's not a slight to my colleagues.

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
They really typed "I am mind reader"? Like, is that your bad grammar, or theirs? I'm not saying a teacher having poor grammar is enough reason to pull a child out of their class, but I would want my kids kindergarten teacher to be able to string 5 words together. Whatever, based on the info you've provided I wouldn't be pushing the panic button yet. Maybe they have a couple glasses of wine at night and start fucking around on Facebook (I assume that's what we're talking about), and I guess so long as that's not effecting their teaching, then I'd probably just leave it alone.

lol yes. I changed it slightly, but it was even more non-sensical that that. capital letters in the middle of words and stuff.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
that first instinct you felt when you saw some really weird shit and thought "Why would I want my kid around this"

is the right one

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
that first instinct you felt when you saw some really weird shit and thought "Why would I want my kid around this"

is the right one

Teachers are the only people whose social media is scrutinized to the extent it is.

It's just not being a crazy Q-nut. Teachers aren't supposed to be seen drinking wine, or voicing an opinion on ANYTHING. Imagine being subjected to that.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
You don't need a reason to decide you don't want your kid around someone. If your first instinct when looking at her public facing presence online was "Yikes." then don't feel bad about following that feeling.

An example from my life: One of our first nannies that we had for my youngest was just kind of meh with her own kid. Didn't really have much control over him, was inattentive and disruptive immediately upon meeting us and was clearly left to his own devices in our home multiple times. Nothing seriously dangerous or crazy happened in the days where she was watching our girl but we saw enough red flags that we let her keep the money we paid her for the month and told her to just not come back the next day.
It wasn't about our daughter being in immediate danger - we just didn't want to see her start to turn out like her son. She would be with her for at least 6-8 hours a day. That's a huge influence on your kid. You're allowed to be picky here, for sure.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Look OP, it's gonna be real hard for us to know whether this teacher is legit loony tunes or if you're overreacting based on the vague stuff you're telling us. Either show the screencaps to someone you trust for a second opinion or trust your own conclusions.

Maybe you're overreacting. Maybe the teacher is using Facebook (or whatever unnamed "main platform" you're referring to) as a place to do their own thing and it's completely harmless, maybe the teacher is legitimately insane and you're the only one who's caught on with your super-sleuth powers. Maybe they have a row of squirrel skulls in their basement of increasing size and soon furry woodland critters won't be big enough to satisfy their twisted needs.

My gut response is that you're overreacting, but hey, I'm just going by the vague stuff I'm reading. What do I know?

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds weird. Not normal behavior. You already have a concern. If it were me, based on what you're typing, I would request a change.

Do you know why the person scrubbed the accounts?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Can you be more specific? People can be odd online and in real life. Lots of people are eccentric.

Is there something that is causing you to be concerned about their mental health or ability to teach well or fitness to work with children?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
lol yes. I changed it slightly, but it was even more non-sensical that that. capital letters in the middle of words and stuff.

Haha, ok. I was so confused by what you typed.

So basically she's posting nonsense/things that don't make sense?

That is a bit concerning.

My wife has an aunt whose social media posts literally make zero sense sometimes. They're literally gibberish on first read, and super hard to figure out what the heck she's saying quite often.

With her aunt it seems to be a mix of really random thought process combined with horrible typing/texting ability. I honestly, even though she's a nice woman, wouldn't want my wife's Aunt teaching my kids anything JUST based on her social media.

Ed A

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 11, 2021
Are they incoherent because they're bad at writing? Are they just a religious person with bad grammar?

OP
OP
LTWood

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Appreciate everyone's input. If there's a mod around to close the thread I think we're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.