• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

While this is not an official confirmation, the fact that there are different skus for the PS5 and PS4 implies that smart delivery will not be a thing for Sony. Seems like it will be a killer feature that MS can advertise against Sony. Hopefully this is wrong and Sony does have the same feature.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, CDRP said during an investor call that they couldn't discuss their plans for anything like that on the PlayStation side until Sony makes an announcement on it. So I'd say it's placeholder.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is so fucking lucky they got those sick exclusives i want cause they failing everywhere else for me.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
We don't know what Sony plans in term of the switch over to the PS5. I think until Sony discusses these things, what we will see are just placeholders.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Sony doesn't do it, although I suppose they could still do some system where if you insert your PS4 disc into your PS5 it will simply download a PS5 Enhanced patch, effectively turning it into the PS5 version while offering cross-buy in the PSN Store.

Oct 28, 2017
I do not really understand how 1 game having a preorder for PS4 and PS5 versions "implies" that Sony doesn't have some type of "smart delivery" system for every game and every game will launch on PS4 and PS5 seperately.

Oct 25, 2017
For all we know it's the same item. They want people who want it for PS5 to be able to preorder it, so they have to put it up there even if there's no box art or formal announcement of a smart delivery equivalent. That isn't proof there is smart delivery, but its existence definitely isn't proof that there isn't.

edit: also as noted above, the xbox one and SX SKUs are listed separately as well on the page

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is it just me or does Amazon have two Xbox SKUs up for preorder? One is XBSX/XB1 and one only XB1. So I guess the PS5 SKU could also still be a combined one?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The way Xbox is going big and pushing smart delivery makes me feel like it's a unique feature they know they have.

Would suck though, as someone planning to purchase a PS5. Would be great for my TLoU2 to be the PS5 version too.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Just wait for PS5 reveal before making this kind of thread, that's annoying

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The page has different SKUs for Xbox One and one for Series X/Smart delivery. Maybe it's just because Sony hasn't announced much yet.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
This means nothing. Maybe I'm lame but I'm going to hold my outrage for when there isn't cross buy confirmed especially considering Sony literally already has a fucking term for the idea and has used it in the past.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Actually there is an Xbox one only sku.

Link

And it strangely has a different box. I wonder if devs will be able to charge more for the combined version.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Sony did cross buy way back in PS3/Vita days. Would be surprised if they were against it now.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon has versions of the game for sale for Xbox One and a separate release for Series X too.

I wouldn't take this as confirmation of anything.

PWRade

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for Sony to say if they are supporting cross buy or not and stop speculating on a game-by-game basis.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't the existence of both skus is a sign of anything

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR0xb5F.png

Not seeing an issue here. X1 and XSX have their own dedicated pages on Amazon.

I am concerned that PS3 Sony is back...
Because an OP doesn't know how to use Amazon? Get outta here.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
not convinced from this. There are different SKU for xbox one and series X as well on the Amazon page...

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

While this is not an official confirmation, the fact that there are different skus for the PS5 and PS4 implies that smart delivery will not be a thing for Sony. Seems like it will be a killer feature that MS can advertise against Sony. Hopefully this is wrong and Sony does have the same feature.

Excellent catch OP.

If so, that is disappointing.

Keep in mind though that amazon listings are no done thing half the time, so perhaps this changes.
For cross-gen titles, they need to be similar to PC / Xbox, where perpetuity is respected and if the games are fundamentally similar enough, you're simply scaling up to the new hardware and supporting users across their owned devices.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Matt said Sony has their own version of Smart Delivery.

But I see much of the posts are already jumping to conclusions.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe that SONY is that arrogant/dumb to not include a feature that seems to be the standard for the future, I think that this is just a place holder until SONY announces their way to bring free updates for their cross gen games

Now if SONY doesn't do this, although it wouldn't happen, I would love to see MS take a cheap shot like the one that Playstation did with the whole (not sharing discs)

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, store listings, the epitome of confirmation. So accurate that there are 0 errors on any listing since the dawn of store listing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go with yet another knee-jerk reaction to knee-jerk speculation.

Based on retailer listings where time and time again people discover (perhaps for the first time in their lives) that placeholders are actual things, no less.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Rumor or not, I think the biggest takeaway from this thread is that Sony really needs to show PS5 and starts announcing its features already.

Status
Not open for further replies.