• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Creating a Thread Downplaying COVID Severity; Conspiracy Rhetoric; Prior Severe Ban
Hey, so I'm really afraid of the vaccine. Much more than I am of COVID. At the start of all of this, I was pretty freaked out by COVID, and I thought many people I knew were going to die. But here we are 1 year later and I don't know a single person that got very sick from COVID, much less was hospitalized or died. I know a handful of people that had it, but their symptoms were basically nothing. There were many high-risk people I know that I was almost certain would get very sick and/or die, but it simply didn't happen (and most of these people were very careless in terms of taking the virus seriously). I myself, as an "essential worker," have had to be out in the world almost every day since this all started. I've been sick twice with cold/flu-like symptoms, but both times had negative COVID test results.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I have all of my childhood vaccines for measles, mumps etc. And I get the flu shot every year. But the speed in which the vaccine was rolled out combined with the degree to which it is seemingly being pushed on the public is causing my paranoia to go into overdrive. I mean, much of the response to the pandemic has been insane in my opinion, but we don't need to go there. Basically, in the end, I don't trust the government. I have no idea what this vaccine will do to me, and I feel like it's largely unnecessary for me personally. But at the same time, it would be a relief to not have to worry as much about COVID anymore, and if it could protect others that would be nice. Yet if I get vaccinated, I feel like my worry would just shift to wondering what effect the vaccine will have on me in the future.

It seems everyone here is very excited to get vaccinated, and I am happy for all of you who have been able to do so. Everyone in my family is vaccinated now, so I'm the only hold out. I just can't shake the feeling that there's something nefarious going on, so I don't know what to do.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't made by any governments, it was made by the brightest medical researchers in the world

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
100 million Americans have already received at least one dose.

How many reports of complications after getting it have you heard?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
"something nefarious going on" is kind of concerning. What conspiracy theories have you been reading?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
www.resetera.com

Vaccinated People Turning You On?

Anyone else see a tinder profile with 'just got my 2nd dose' and start getting extra thirsty Like on my way IN to get the shot i didnt even notice other people but on the way OUT it was like i was on a The CW show

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I'm really afraid of the vaccine. Much more than I am of COVID.

Start by recognizing how irrational this is.

But the speed in which the vaccine was rolled out combined with the degree to which it is seemingly being pushed on the public is causing my paranoia to go into overdrive. I mean, much of the response to the pandemic has been insane in my opinion, but we don't need to go there.

A few million people have died so far, no big deal or hurry.

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing nefarious is going to happen to you. Do the responsible thing and get vaccinated.

I would also suggest you visit a therapist for your paranoia.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I'm gonna tell you what I told my own mother... Follow the damn science and get your vaccine! Stop being part of the problem.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Some people I know are begging to get the vaccine and you won't get it because you'd rather be paranoid instead of read up on why it's safe.

Neato.

wulfmatik

Dec 7, 2018
the risks posed by COVID for both your immediate and longterm health far exceed any risks associated from the vaccine. Get the vaccine.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend's father just die from COVID and it's the most heartbreaking fucking thing. Get over yourself OP.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, you're an anti-vaxxer. Stop being a selfish fuck and get the vaccine. Hundreds of millions of people have already.

You're not special.

Oct 29, 2017
Physicians far and wide who know more about how vaccines work, and how these were developed, than you and I ever could have taken it. The super rich have even taken it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But the speed in which the vaccine was rolled out combined with the degree to which it is seemingly being pushed on the public is causing my paranoia to go into overdrive.
The speed at which the vaccine was produced is the result of unprecedented funding from every major country in the world.

The degree to which it is pushed on the public is because this shit is literally a worldwide pandemic that killed millions of people. Your annecdotes pertaining to who got the virus and who didn't do not matter.

Take the fucking vaccine.

keysersöze

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey, so I'm really afraid of the vaccine. Much more than I am of COVID. At the start of all of this, I was pretty freaked out by COVID, and I thought many people I knew were going to die. But here we are 1 year later and I don't know a single person that got very sick from COVID, much less was hospitalized or died. I know a handful of people that had it, but their symptoms were basically nothing. There were many high-risk people I know that I was almost certain would get very sick and/or die, but it simply didn't happen (and most of these people were very careless in terms of taking the virus seriously). I myself, as an "essential worker," have had to be out in the world almost every day since this all started. I've been sick twice with cold/flu-like symptoms, but both times had negative COVID test results.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I have all of my childhood vaccines for measles, mumps etc. And I get the flu shot every year. But the speed in which the vaccine was rolled out combined with the degree to which it is seemingly being pushed on the public is causing my paranoia to go into overdrive. I mean, much of the response to the pandemic has been insane in my opinion, but we don't need to go there. Basically, in the end, I don't trust the government. I have no idea what this vaccine will do to me, and I feel like it's largely unnecessary for me personally. But at the same time, it would be a relief to not have to worry as much about COVID anymore, and if it could protect others that would be nice. Yet if I get vaccinated, I feel like my worry would just shift to wondering what effect the vaccine will have on me in the future.

It seems everyone here is very excited to get vaccinated, and I am happy for all of you who have been able to do so. Everyone in my family is vaccinated now, so I'm the only hold out. I just can't shake the feeling that there's something nefarious going on, so I don't know what to do.
you're an idiot. get a vaccine.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Can you please give us a little more to work with than "something nefarious?" When you start actually trying to explain conspiracy theories, they tend to fall apart pretty quickly. Vague fear of the government isn't a good reason to not get a vaccine.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dying by the virus or killing some one else with the virus sure seems a lot more scary than getting the vaccine.

Nov 29, 2018
Literally all of your reasons not to get it are out of the anti-vaxx playbook. Looks like a duck and smells like a duck.

Zaryn

Oct 25, 2017
Hey bud. My dad died from Covid this year. Get the fucking vaccine. God fucking damn it.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You would think after over a 100 million doses having been administered that something bad would be discovered already if there was something...

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
There have been no major short-term side-effects so far that we know of from the majority of the common COVID vaccines. We know there are major long-term side-effects to actually getting COVID whether you experience symptoms originally or not.

You are very lucky that no one you know was affected badly by COVID. You are one of few.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get the reaction people, but OP is being honest and looking for advice. Seriously no need to use this thread to dogpile. Educate without degrading.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My 104 year old grandma just got the J&J vaccine today. Are you saying you are not as courageous as her to get the shot?

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Think of it this way: the vaccine was developed twice as fast because we threw twice the resources at it. Honestly, more than that. The entire world was working on this thing.

100 man hours over 50 days vs 100 man hours over 25 days because we doubled the staff.

it's fine.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I feel as if the government should just give $100 to each person who gets the vaccine. Conspiracy nuts are actually just cheap individuals and will gladly take $100.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
OP this was the first vaccine created in the modern age where scientists the world over worked together on it. It's not like the smallpox vaccine that was created by one guy or the polio vaccine which was a small team. Real time info was being sent across the globe and that's what made it happen so fast. Now, I am pessimistic on it being a permanent fix due to mutation shenanigans (and people aren't gonna bother to get booster shots that may be necessary in the future), but for right now it's absolutely necessary to get one.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
I think your family being vaccinated should be enough to tell you that you should get the vaccine. I know not knowing how you are specifically going to react to something is terrifying you with how quickly this vaccine has been put out but I assure you when I tell you this, They wouldn't being giving this to you if it killed people and didn't help save lives. The point of this rollout coming quickly is to stop the spread and have people acquire herd immunity before it is too late. (besides it being so quick because the entire world put their efforts behind this to get it asap) If anything you are doing yourself a disservice by not getting the vaccine and definitely overthinking things. Throw the doubt out of your mind. I always think like this, would I want to contribute to more people dying? And if the answer for you is no, get vaccinated. It is pretty simple

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I get the reaction people, but OP is being honest and looking for advice. Seriously no need to use this thread to dogpile. Educate without degrading.
OP is an anti-vaxxer who downplays COVID and thinks the response to the pandemic has been "insane" but doesn't wanna go there.

There is literally nothing anyone here can say that will make the OP change their mind.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry that I don't have time to educate a selfish fuck after a year in quarantine and downplays COVID and the hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Fuck selfish people.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Get that jab in the fucking arm so we can be closer to done with this bullshit

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna get dunked on, and probably rightfully, but I would like to reiterate that if you're feeling paranoia and you *know* it's not based on any specific source or piece of actual data, you should probably see a therapist at your earliest convenience...

...after, of course, you get the vaccine.

Last edited:

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
This is the OP's first post in almost three years and it's filled with stealth covid denial and anti-vax bullshit.

Edit: post history could be server blackout stuff, disregard.

Last edited:

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But the speed in which the vaccine was rolled out combined with the degree to which it is seemingly being pushed on the public is causing my paranoia to go into overdrive.

Do you really think that all the world's governments would cooperate and be able to keep a covert plan secret from the world when they can't even agree and cooperate on the most basic of shit half the time. And that somehow every single government is able to keep something on this sheer scale leak-proof when things at much smaller scale and scope are subject to leaks and anonymous sources from even the US government, let alone every single other government?

You say you're not anti-vax but this is the exact line of thinking anti-vaxxers often subscribe to. They love to tell people they're critical thinkers of things they're told, but don't end up thinking critically about their own thoughts, theories and concerns.

EDIT: Also if you really were concerned about it, you'd have read the plethora of open transparent data, research results and trial results on the vaccines that are available, as well as information from actual experts. Instead you're here asking Resetera for affirmation.

What makes Resetera more reliable than the actual concrete data and science you could read but for some reason, doubt?

Status
Not open for further replies.