• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
As new cases of the coronavirus continue to decline in China, thousands of people have started to flood back into controversial wet markets across the country.

The city of Wuhan, which has been considered ground zero for the virus outbreak, has started to reopen after being placed on a strict two-month lockdown.

"The markets have gone back to operating in exactly the same way as they did before coronavirus," a correspondent to visited the market told the publication.

'Everyone here believes the outbreak is over and there's nothing to worry about any more. It's just a foreign problem now as far as they are concerned,' said one of the China-based correspondents who captured these images for The Mail on Sunday.

"The only difference is that security guards try to stop anyone taking pictures, which would never have happened before."

Another market in Guilin, in southwest China, was full of cats and dogs crammed into cages in filthy conditions and available for slaughter.

www.news.com.au

Chinese wet markets still operating

Warning: Graphic

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like these should absolutely be illegal

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. So China has learned absolutely nothing from this.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like these should absolutely be illegal
Hard to argue with that.

The rest of the world needs to shame China into shutting this shit down.

Or at the very least if someone still wants to eat bats and dogs and whatever else, then it has to be better regulated by the government to lessen the chance of more outbreaks.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I would Atleast expect China to wait till the rest of the world is over the coronavirus.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
I recall people seeing this in the main covid thread and people questioning it given the source.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that wet markets are back somewhere in China that hasn't been locked down as strictly as Wuhan, but the article this is based on is a rather sensationalist one in Daily Mail that seem intent on stoking racism.

And I know for a fact that social distancing measures have gotten stricter again in tier 1 cities like Shenzhen.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
China feels they can ride out future outbreaks faster while a pandemic bring the rest of the world economy down and they can pretend to be the hero sending masks everywhere.

They didn't plan on COVID-19 but it sure seems like they're taking advantage of it.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
If this isn't bullshit, burn those fucking markets down. But I question the legitimacy of it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
l

lmao at the source, OP showing his true colors

Is the source incorrect?

If this is true, then I really hope that the strictest sanctions are imposed on China till Winnie The Pooh shuts them down. Because as clear as the day, from SARS to COVID19, it is only a matter of time till another epidemic followed by pandemic sweeps the world.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Source is The Daily Mail. I would take this news with a grain of salt.

Wet market are reopening, there was never really any discussion of closing wet markets they banned wild animal trade and farming.

Most of wet market sell normal stuff fresh produce like a farmer market. There is normally also butcher shops, but like again they sell normal meat. (and i think they do the butchering offsite)

It's just here somehow people expected they would ban wet market in general, which are perfectly fine.

Pretty much all the images in the article come from stocks image...

Not saying there aren't any selling funny thing in the whole china, but hey it's huge country changes don't come immediately.

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Is the source incorrect?

If this is true, then I really hope that the strictest sanctions are imposed on China till Winnie The Pooh shuts them down. Because as clear as the day, from SARS to COVID19, it is only a matter of time till another epidemic followed by pandemic sweeps the world.

source is fox news Aussie

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Source is wonky but if China does not learn from this after yet another fucking outbreak...
Wet markets selling exotic animals should have been banned permanently the week after COVID in China, if there is country that can enforce it, it's China.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Wet market are reopening, there was never really any discussion of closing wet markets they banned wild animal trade and farming.

Most of wet market sell normal stuff fresh produce like a farmer market. There is normally also butcher shops, but like again they sell normal meat. (and i think they do the butchering offsite)

I think it's just different expectation.

The problem is the live animal warehousing and trade. That's how you get transmission from mammal to mammal to eventual zoonotic transmission to humans. If the animals are properly slaughtered and housed these kind of outbreaks would be significantly harder.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
source is fox news Aussie

Oh! Oh God!

Well, as I said before, I just hope that wet markets are permanently closed. Vox did a great piece on this and highlighted how a small portion of the population with their appetites are the reason wet markets with their immense lobbying powers were able to reopen after SARS. Again, I don't believe China will comply w/o external pressure because... money.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
This topic will be absolutely normal and free from sinophobia. I'm sure of it!
Dont buy things made in China. Until people do that nothing will change.

These posts back to back... *wheeeew*

Oh! Oh God!

Well, as I said before, I just hope that wet markets are permanently closed. Vox did a great piece on this and highlighted how a small portion of the population with their appetites are the reason wet markets with their immense lobbying powers were able to reopen after SARS. Again, I don't believe China will comply w/o external pressure because... money.

The markets don't need to be closed, they need to be properly regulated.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Let's see what WHO has to say about this.
Perhaps they will be as elaborate and eloquent as when asked about Taiwan.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the live animal warehousing and trade. That's how you get transmission from mammal to mammal to eventual zoonotic transmission to humans. If the animals are properly slaughtered and housed these kind of outbreaks would be significantly harder.

I visited about 3-4 different "normal wet market" in china and plenty more around Asia.

There is live poultry and seafood. That is about it.
Live poultry is definitively something they should ban. Other then that you don't see many of the things present in the article (given that they come from stock photo sites or they are not even in China)

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
China won't receive any blowback despite the world's body count in the current tens of thousands which will end up in hundreds of thousands, they know countries will still buy and sell to them this is merely a part of doing capitalism.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exhibit 1 that we'll believe anything we're told at face value regardless of (lack of) source if it reinforces our biases.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This is just a reprint of the Daily Mail story.
Yup, no one should be treating this article with legitimacy given Daily Mail's track record. It might be possible that these animal markets (I am not using the term wet market because a wet market is not synonymous of "exotic live animal market") have been reopened but this is not a reliable source to prove it.

Too bad most people in this thread are not even bothering checking what the source is because it confirms their preconceived notions about China and Chinese people.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
China don't care. Their pandemic response plan worked exactly as they hoped it would: export the problem internationally, crack down on the populace until it's snuffed out at home, then close the borders to keep it from coming back.

Until another virus jumps from anteater meat into humans, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.