• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
www.relyonhorror.com

Cosplayer Accuses Resident Evil Series Marketing of Using Her Likeness

While we're looking forward to the upcoming Resident Evil animated series on Netflix, it looks like there might be a bump on the road...

ummCLH5.png

She's taking down the tweet. Kinda don't know what to think. The images look similar, but isn't that the point of cosplay?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
From looking at the tweet, I think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. She clearly meant it in jest.

Oct 24, 2019
She's using their likeness for her cosplay....

what the hell is she talking about.

Let me go put on a Trump suit and sue him for using my likeness in that case lol

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If you showed me the image with no context, I would say the model was clearly inspired by the image on the right. So knowing the cosplayer came first, drawing the opposite conclusion seems just as natural. There are many different details here (the jacket being closed with longer sleeves, the lack of holsters and gear, etc) but the posture is so similar, as is the facial composition, and only one of them is somebody's real face.

I think it's a fair suspicion, even if it turns out a total coincidence.

Nov 1, 2017
Clothing wise the design is consistent with Claire's look in Revelations 2

2ogRU6U.png

If the claim is that the face is modeled after her, I'm not really seeing it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone rehost the images? The link in the op isn't working for me and the image is broken.

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
what in the wide wide world of sports is up with that booty? also, that face looks so CGI it's eerie. otherwise, i don't get it...she looks to be mimicking the pose?
The argument is that the artwork is mimicking the cosplayer. The cosplayer put out the image on the left first, back in 2019. The image on the right was used in Netflix marketing material within the past week. The claim is that the CG artist stole her pose and facial likeness for his image.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely didn't use her face to model their characters face (they look different enough to me), the pose is similar but that's all I'm really getting. The clothing is different, the hair style is different. Her picture also has this weird CG effect looking thing going on which I don't know what is causing it, ,maybe it's how the camera is focused? Either way, she is cosplaying a character from their game, so obviously the character will look similar when new things in the series are released that have that character. The pose is a bit weird though, maybe they saw the picture and decided that was a cool pose to use as marketing materials?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
The argument is that the artwork is mimicking the cosplayer. The cosplayer put out the image on the left first, back in 2019. The image on the right was used in Netflix marketing material within the past week. The claim is that the CG artist stole her pose and facial likeness for his image.
I would say there is a high possibility that may be true. The pose, face. Everything is pretty much a mimic of it.

Oct 30, 2017
ahhh gotcha. but i'm assuming her cosplay is based off some photo or still and she's imitating that which the NF thing is also imitating...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If you showed me the image with no context, I would say the model was clearly inspired by the image on the right. So knowing the cosplayer came first, drawing the opposite conclusion seems just as natural. There are many different details here (the jacket being closed with longer sleeves, the lack of holsters and gear, etc) but the posture is so similar, as is the facial composition, and only one of them is somebody's real face.

I think it's a fair suspicion, even if it turns out a total coincidence.
Absolutely agreed.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean they obviously used the pose as a reference, but that happens all the time

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The RE series claire looks like she was taken directly out of Revelations 2.

I am a bit confused why they didn't use the RE2make Claire. They change their character models far too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.