• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Since its announcement, the choice to make Final Fantasy VII Remake an "episodic" game has been a controversial one. Call me crazy but I could see this being a great thing, that makes the remake even more of an event.

For the sake of conversation here, let's assume the remake is able to thread the same needle as RE2 Remake, and is able to please new and old fans alike.

If FF7 was being delivered all at once, you'd have all these people who have waited years for it just blowing thru it over a week, and moving on. A very different experience than what us old people experienced in 1997, where FF7 seemed to hover over the gaming landscape for the better part of a year.

Releasing it in parts, in my opinion, may have the unforeseen side effect of making people savor it all the more (again assuming its good). Sort of like seasons of a big TV show. You end up watching each season multiple times, as you prepare to dive back in for the new season. I could see people getting ready for FF7 ep2, by revisiting the first installment, and so on until we reach the final chapter. At each stop, people more closely dissecting the section that was just released. Longer periods where people are only able to discuss Midgar, or the temple of the anicents/the plot twist, or Cloud's mental breakdown thru the end of the game. Letting the narrative breathe. Speculating on how they'll handle upcoming events.

Now granted there's a lot of other issues at play here. Cost of each portion. The value proposition of how much content is in each one. But so many of us have wanted this remake for so long. I'm down with the episodic approach if it means that the communal experience of living in FF7s world, and discussing it with friends, is prolonged over years, as opposed to something that everyone blitzes thru over a frenzied couple of weeks and puts in the rear view mirror.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem at hand here is that the gaps between the episodes will be way longer than the gaps between seasons of a TV show. Having to wait three or four years (possibly more, given S-E) and pay full price again just to see events you've already experienced but prettier this time is gonna be a hard sell.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Since its announcement, the choice to make Final Fantasy VII Remake an "episodic" game has been a controversial one. Call me crazy but I could see this being a great thing, that makes the remake even more of an event.

For the sake of conversation here, let's assume the remake is able to thread the same needle as RE2 Remake, and is able to please new and old fans alike.

If FF7 was being delivered all at once, you'd have all these people who have waited years for it just blowing thru it over a week, and moving on. A very different experience than what us old people experienced in 1997, where FF7 seemed to hover over the gaming landscape for the better part of a year.

Releasing it in parts, in my opinion, may have the unforeseen side effect of making people savor it all the more (again assuming its good). Sort of like seasons of a big TV show. You end up watching each season multiple times, as you prepare to dive back in for the new season. I could see people getting ready for FF7 ep2, by revisiting the first installment, and so on until we reach the final chapter. At each stop, people more closely dissecting the section that was just released. Longer periods where people are only able to discuss Midgar, or the temple of the anicents/the plot twist, or Cloud's mental breakdown thru the end of the game. Letting the narrative breathe. Speculating on how they'll handle upcoming events.

Now granted there's a lot of other issues at play here. Cost of each portion. The value proposition of how much content is in each one. But so many of us have wanted this remake for so long. I'm down with the episodic approach if it means that the communal experience of living in FF7s world, and discussing it with friends, is prolonged over years, as opposed to something that everyone blitzes thru over a frenzied couple of weeks and puts in the rear view mirror.
The game is not actually episodic. The game is just separated in parts in the same way we got the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy or FFX/X-2.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly not down with paying for 3 full-priced games when it should have been 1. I could wait another 5+ years for the full package, but let's be honest, most of us aren't gonna do that. Also, to make each game worth full price they'd have to add lots and lots of stuff. Stuff I don't necessarily want, I just want a straight remake of FF7. This looks to be its own thing entirely.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's real borderline for me

I'll give S-E the benefit of the doubt and say this - if they come out of say it's going to be 2 or 3 parts, I want release dates locked in no more than 12 month intervals.

And it better be damn good. If it isn't good and Episode 1 disappoints, then I'm out for the rest. And that ultimately screws S-E

If anything, I admire their balls on the project even though I still don't have faith they'll capture the nuances and quirks of why the OG was elevated from great to one of the best

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting that Part 1 will end with videogames' "Rose Bud"

It'll be like Infinity War but if everyone had already known the ending for 22 years.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I find it interesting that Part 1 will end with videogames' "Rose Bud"

It'll be like Infinity War but if everyone had already known the ending for 22 years.

Nah...Part 1 will ends with Tifa looking from outside the room and inside the room, Cloud will be bending his knee and kissing an old man's hand while saluting: "Don Corneo."

The camera then shows back to Tifa with the door slowly closing........then fade to black.

Part 2 will then began with a flash back of Sephiroth during his childhood home town of Roth where Sephiroth's original name will be revealed as Sephi Andolini. Once he migrated to Midgar City, the immigration officer deemed his last name to difficult to pronounce and as such just combined his first name with his hometown, thus his name: "Sephiroth"

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Releasing it in parts, in my opinion, may have the unforeseen side effect of making people savor it all the more (again assuming its good).

The game is not actually episodic. The game is just separated in parts in the same way we got the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy or FFX/X-2.

Come on! These kind of posts are just semantic nuisances at this point. We all know what 'episodic' means in this context - OP did even specifically cover this!

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no.

Yes, because I see it like Mass Effect where you can transfer your data from one game to another and have this awesome set of games that build upon one another. In theory.

No, because we have to wait between each game, unless there are major plot changes, we already know whats gonna happen.

Ateron

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, don't like it. Especially considering SE will take its sweet time and it will take 2-3 years (being optimistic here given their track record) till the 2nd part comes up, and it's gonna be a mess with cross gen versions, save compatibility and whatnot.

I would very much prefer if they postponed the game and just launch it complete. Not to mention that they're gonna be selling us two games. Depending on whether or not they flesh out the story and scenario to justify 60$ for half a game, it might not be so well recieved as they're hoping for.

We'll see, I hope the game turns up good. If it's as good as re2 remake was, I'll be ecstatic. Will make the wait for the other episode(s) harder, but it is what it is.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the problem at hand here is that the gaps between the episodes will be way longer than the gaps between seasons of a TV show. Having to wait three or four years (possibly more, given S-E) and pay full price again just to see events you've already experienced but prettier this time is gonna be a hard sell.

I would not expect the gaps to be that long.
We know they have multiple smaller teams working on all locations, plus its not like they spent 4 years working on Midgar only.
I will be surprised if the gaps are larger than 2 years.

Oct 26, 2017

You say this ignoring that most people will have already known the major plot points from their experiences with the original FF7, even if Square Enix is going to add in the side stuff (Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, all the side stories to help flesh Yuffie etc.), so why make a big deal out of the whole marination?

Furthermore, you say this also ignoring that people already do this with certain games. For instance, there were people who blew by Hollow Knight in a week, and there are also those who sunk hundreds of hours into the game and then theorized more about its story and lore and the implications on the world of Hollow Knight, and there are those who are waiting for Silksong's release date to re-play Hollow Knight. You can apply this to any major game really. It kind of comes across as you forcing the way you play games onto other people, when people will enjoy the games the way they want to.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't expect people to like it but i think more need to take a deep breath and reconsider the "format". one stop mega budget titles are why we end up with debacles like MGS5 and to a lesser degree FFXV, so it could be a good compromise. we'll see how it plays out in this instance but with all the wringing of the hands over unsustainable budgets and crunch multi-part releases aren't the most ridiculous idea ever

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like to me you're just extrapolating the way you do things and applying it to other people.

The episodic structure only really is compelling in a watercooler way if we don't know where things are going, and unless this game does some major swerves, like say, not killing Aeris, that's not going to be here except for the megafans that want to compare and contrast everything and they'd be doing that anyway.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
First of all, I don't trust SE with good writing or a good interpretation of the original game.

Now supposing that they do a good job with the remake (wishful thinking at its best here), we have the problem of being in the console generation transition years. If they could create the combat system, engine, and prepare content in advance, and then release the 3 parts with a year difference between them, it should be not that bad. But waiting for more than 12 months to play a section that you know with new graphics doesn't seem that exciting. Same with having different parts in different systems.

Best scenario is they waiting for new XBOX/PS systems to release chapter 1, and then having all the parts close enough to keep the interest.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Plot-twist: FF7 Remake Part 1 is actually FF7 completely remade. Part 2 will adapt and expand Advent Children, and Part 3 will adapt and expand Dirge of Cerberus with Genesis as the final boss.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
"In disguise"? It's a blessing letting it all hang out :) It's multiple full-length full-budget games instead of just one.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Do you trust Square Enix to have three or more subsequent Final Fantasy titles without development hell or cancellations? Because after Versus, FFXIV, FFXV and the FFXV DLCs I'm not that optimistic.
Development for the VII Remake started in 2014 afair. And here we are. Waiting for a release date for the first episode.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
180 monies at least in the span of 10 to 15 years probably across 2 gens.
Probably Unneeded added story.
No, not seeing the blessing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just going by precedent, the gaps will probably be ~2 years between releases:

FFXIII: 2009
FFXIII-2: 2011
Lightning Returns: 2013

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, most modern gamers have not played FF7. The game is 22 years old, I would say the majority of modern gamers were too young when the game was popular.

A lot of it is absorbed via osmosis. I'd wager a HUGE amount of people that have never played FF7 know Aeris dies, for instance.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'd be better as a whole. The piecemeal approach seems to be primarily a cost decision rather than an advantageous design choice for gameplay. I'm just glad it's happening in whatever way.

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree, most modern gamers have not played FF7. The game is 22 years old, I would say the majority of modern gamers were too young when the game was popular.

The majority of people who will buy and play through the remake are going to be those who played through the original FF7. Modern gamers don't have the same level of connection to the game.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Do you trust Square Enix to have three or more subsequent Final Fantasy titles without development hell or cancellations? Because after Versus, FFXIV, FFXV and the FFXV DLCs I'm not that optimistic.
Development for the VII Remake started in 2014 afair. And here we are. Waiting for a release date for the first episode.
They've done it more often than they've had "development hell or cancelations".
For example,
Final Fantasy XIII 1, 2, and 3
Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn, Heavensward, Stormblood

The majority of people who will buy and play through the remake are going to be those who played through FF7. Modern gamers don't have the same level of connection to the game.
They had zero connection to Final Fantasy XV, still sold like 9 million copies. You don't need a preexisting "connection" to play a new game.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
They've done it more often than they've had "development hell or cancelations".
For example,
Final Fantasy XIII 1, 2, and 3
Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn, Heavensward, Stormblood

With a decrease in quality/production values when it comes to XIII. And yes, after rebooting the game, they managed to add new content in an MMO. But okay, not every release was a total mess. (And I like XIV.)

Ateron

Oct 30, 2017
What I'm most afraid of is that they pad the game with unnecessary references from the spin offs. Something has got to give if they want to spread this through at least 2 games, and they have to have enough "content" to justify the full game price tag - twice.

Oct 26, 2017
They had zero connection to Final Fantasy XV, still sold like 9 million copies. You don't need a preexisting "connection" to play a new game.

That is not a good comparison at all. Final Fantasy XV and the Final Fantasy series as a whole, are detached from each other, so no shit that the modern gamer can get into Final Fantasy XV since it was a completely new game. My point is that FFVIIr is going to attract more of the people who loved the original FFVII, than modern gamers because of the very nature of being a remake of a classic game, and thus, the people who played through it originally, will have already possessed the knowledge of its story, characters, lore, and so on. FFXV doesn't have that same luxury.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That is not a good comparison at all. Final Fantasy XV and the Final Fantasy series as a whole, are detached from each other, so no shit that the modern gamer can get into Final Fantasy XV since it was a completely new game. My point is that FFVIIr is going to attract more of the people who loved the original FFVII, than modern gamers because of the very nature of being a remake of a classic game, and thus, the people who played through it originally, will have already possessed the knowledge of its story, characters, lore, and so on. FFXV doesn't have that same luxury.
Since it's a complete remake, and is going to have just as huge marketing a budget as any other full brand new blockbuster game, the fact that the game's number is lower than 15 doesn't mean modern gamers will avoid playing a new Final Fantasy. If only people who had played the original game and were still into video games bought this, it wouldn't be worth Square's time to make it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I'm all for it. Maybe they'll do it proper justice if they stick with the RE2 formula of a remake.

Oct 26, 2017
Since it's a complete remake, and is going to have just as huge marketing a budget as any other full brand new blockbuster game, the fact that the game's number is lower than 15 doesn't mean modern gamers will avoid playing a new Final Fantasy. If only people who had played the original game and were still into video games bought this, it wouldn't be worth Square's time to make it.

Again, you misunderstand me. Nowhere did I say that no modern gamer is going to play FFVIIr, I'm simply saying that the amount of people who played the original will outnumber the amount of people who haven't (hence why I said the original players will be the majority of the base).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Again, you misunderstand me. Nowhere did I say that no modern gamer is going to play FFVIIr, I'm simply saying that the amount of people who played the original will outnumber the amount of people who haven't (hence why I said the original players will be the majority of the base).
Which is what I'm saying isn't the case. Just as many modern gamers who played FFXV will play FFVII Remake, because why wouldn't they? The number is lower than 15? It's a new full budget Final Fantasy game, why would anyone who likes Final Fantasy games avoid it?

Oct 26, 2017
Which is what I'm saying isn't the case. Just as many modern gamers who played FFXV will play FFVII Remake, because why wouldn't they? The number is lower than 15?

Again, that is not a good comparison. You're comparing a completely new game in the series to a remake that is beloved by huge amount of people, especially one such remake that has already resonated with tons of people back then and has already sparked intrigue due to wanting to see how it'll turn out when compared to how they experienced the game on the PS1.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
First thing that comes in mind for me is the time we will have to wait between each chapter, and the possibility that they wont ever end it if it wont be profitable enough.
I understand it can be a big project, but not an impossible one to make on one go. We can think about it as an open world game as many are available today... one of the big ones of course, but anyway it wont be for sure so "free" for the player to explore and interact with the world, so I dont think it would be really such an impossible task after all. (you could even keep the world map exploration not 1:1 scale, but as it was on the original game for example...)
I would have preferred just a 1 big game, announced not long before it was ready.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
It all depends on the time between episodes. If it takes too long (and this IS Square Enix we're talking about) it'll lose its momentum really fast.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think episodic or not, people would have talked (read: complained) about it for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.