• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft will have a rather huge library on their PC storefront after the recent acquisitions:
  • Classic Xbox franchises (Halo, Forza)
  • All Bethesda games
  • All Activision/Blizzard games
  • All EA games (they'll have the EA app on MS Store because of the Game Pass deal)
  • Numerous third parties on Game Pass
  • Everything that has left Game Pass and remained on the store
This is enough to start pushing for a new version of Windows 11 that they'll give away for free to users and OEMs, with the catch being that it's restricted to the "S Mode" only which means that you can only install software from Microsoft Store. S Mode already exists as an optional thing in Windows 10 and 11, but this free version would force it on.

They already tried to do Windows 10 S in the past but it was a bit of a joke because MS Store had almost nothing on it at the time. Now the situation is different and you can definitely get away with a gaming PC with a "Windows 11 S" that is stuck inside MS Store only. New PC gamers will get the opportunity to start playing on MS Store and Game Pass with no additional Windows license fee. Or pay 145€ (RRP) for a Windows Home license to turn off S Mode and install Steam or other stores. But would anyone pay 145€ for Steam?

They will not be retroactively turning your current Windows install into a restricted one, but they'll let "Windows 11 S" market share slowly increase over time through new PC buyers. Could this be how Microsoft finally takes control over PC gaming? They aren't spending 70 billion dollars just to let people use Steam and give away those third party profits to Valve.

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand what the point of having a computer is at that point

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they could try. they would probably get investigated like they did with internet explorer.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're already under enough antitrust scrutiny as it is, they're not stupid enough to try going back to 90s era Microsoft

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There is a reason why Valve is establishing SteamOS/SteamDeck as a failsafe should MS decide to go crazy with and on Windows.

But to the question in the OP - No.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
With how shitty GP and the Microsoft ecosystem is on Windows, unlikely.

People pay more for their games on Steam to not deal with their crap

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you already just use Windows (sans aesthetic customization) for free?

In any case, I don't think people who get a PC for gaming purposes would reasonably opt into this.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
lol. the store doesn't even load games at all. The idea that they could launch a windows OS with a working store is ... yeah. That's not going to happen.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This a hot take because the moment Microsoft tries to actively close Windows, they will catch the eye of all anti-trust agencies and gets fucked fast.

Windows is already a monopoly and trying to close it down would backfire fast.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Op right now.

Also who buys windows new for 150€ when you can buy oem keys for like 5 bucks.
1024.jpg

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
There's not enough of an overlap between the market that would use a free limited Windows and the market that uses Steam to kill it off.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with going with Linux is that Game Pass will not be available on it and that has quite a lot of fans now.
The Steam audience doesnt care for the most part - thats why XGS are selling so well on Steam despite them being free through GamePass and the Windows Store.

Also the GamePass library doesnt come anywhere close to what Steam is offering in terms of games and feature available.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This place and the old place has such a hardon for Vale/Steam/PC dying in some elaborate fashion.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Listen, I know everyone is freaked out by the acquisition, but y'all really need to chill with these ridiculous threads. WHAT IF MICROSOFT CAME INTO MY HOME AND SET ALL MY PLAYSTATION GAMES ON FIRE SO I'D HAVE TO BUY AN XBOX IT COULD HAPPEN WHAT'S STOPPING THEM

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the activision buy has ignited a flame in their hearts for a lot of posters, huh.
Not seeing Microsoft do something that would get them once more in hot water imo.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You can already run Windows 10 and 11 without a license and all it does is put a watermark on your screen.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I feel like 90% of people who would want the non S version of Windows would just install it then?? The Windows installer is free to download and use.

This makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.