• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after reading a thread earlier that Sony is considering selling it's PlayStation Vue business, I found it starange that they would do that considering just earlier in May this year they made an announcement saying they're starting up a PlayStation division specifically for making movie adaptations for the gaming I. P's.

Is that not a logical fit for their PlayStation Vue business model? (Creating your own content and selling it exclusively through your service)

But another user reminded me that Shawn Layden was announced as the head overseer of that division..

With the news of Sony wanting to sell it's Vue business, can we say that there is a possibility Shawn Layden left due to Sony not wanting to follow through with the "TV, TV, TV" nonsense? He was heading that entire division. Maybe the higher ups saw it for for what it was, a non-sustainable mess waiting to happen?

I frankly just want them to focus on gaming, I don't care for an Uncharted or TLOU flick, but more games in both I'Ps, ofcourse.

This article mentions Shawn Layden heading the new movie division.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation's focus is games. Trying some new things out, while gaming is still the big focus, is good.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that PlayStation Productions (production studio) and PlayStation Vue (video service provider) are two different things.

I don't think there's any real connection here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
With like three MAJOR content streaming platforms about to launch, I think it would be wise to get out of this form of TV overall. Vue was a good halfway point between traditional and streaming, but the shift just keeps getting further and further from traditional, and Sony putting content they make on Vue isnt viable, I doubt Layden would have been doing that anyway

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I heard he left because the vending machines were always out of Flamin Hot Cheetos. Nobody can work in those conditions.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Probably differing opinions. Notice that a few things since he left has changed including them announcing more PlayStation Games coming to PC, and they put some big exclusives on PSNow such as God of War, although its only 3 months.

None the less, im not sure we will hear the reason as to why, but i do believe the power struggle rumors may have been a real thing.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Without any sort of solid sources or obvious failures it's kinda pointless speculating on personnel movements.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well. If he actually had a problem with PlayStation focusing on games then it's good riddance.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread is based only on speculation and is closed to further replies. If sourced info becomes available, feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.