• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Do you guys remember when the PS3 launched? Preorders went quickly, and on launch day there were long lines of people, however whenever the News interviewed the people in line it seemed like so many where buying them to resell at a profit. Then Ebay become flooded with PS3's that were basically being sold for MSRP or being returned. I remember one of the Sony exec's getting irritated by a comment about lack of demand and said he'd pay a certain amount of money if anybody could find him a PS3 on a shelf. Of course the internet became flooded with pictures of PS3's on shelves all over the country.

Is there anyway this happens again? I've been seeing more and more talk about buying PS5's to sell at a profit on my social media feeds. Sony is saying they'll have more stock than the PS4 launch. Thoughts?

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
No. Sony will be more careful this time. Plus the system is priced very well for what it's worth compared to PS3

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Damn I don't remember any of that lol. I remember not being able to find one of my own for a while

Also no, this isn't a $600 machine. That was a huge amount of money for the time. Before people bought $1000 phones every year

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smh, no. Back then there were a lot of people who were voicing their negative opinion about the PS3's price. There was also a cheaper alternative on the market with year head start in building a library. There are no PS3 specific similarities.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
It's really bizarre how many bad takes are being made into threads recently. I have seen people comparing PS5 pre release to Xbox One pre release and my eyes just roll so far I can see my brain.

On topic, no this isn't the same as PS3. The console was priced right, the games seem exciting, the innovations seem promising and the consumers interest seem very high.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I could be that bad, it could be worse. A glut of PS5's on the gray market going for pennies on the dollar. This could be ET cartridges buried in the desert bad.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Do you guys remember when the PS3 launched? Preorders went quickly, and on launch day there were long lines of people, however whenever the News interviewed the people in line it seemed like so many where buying them to resell at a profit. Then Ebay become flooded with PS3's that were basically being sold for MSRP or being returned. I remember one of the Sony exec's getting irritated by a comment about lack of demand and said he'd pay a certain amount of money if anybody could find him a PS3 on a shelf. Of course the internet became flooded with pictures of PS3's on shelves all over the country.

Is there anyway this happens again? I've been seeing more and more talk about buying PS5's to sell at a profit on my social media feeds. Sony is saying they'll have more stock than the PS4 launch. Thoughts?

Nice try.

Jun 23, 2019
It's really bizarre how many bad takes are being made into threads recently. I have seen people comparing PS5 pre release to Xbox One pre release and my eyes just roll so far I can see my brain.

On topic, no this isn't the same as PS3. The console was priced right, the games seem exciting, the innovations seem promising and the consumers interest seem very high.

Preach.

Michael

Oct 28, 2017
No, I think the hype for PS5 is real. Great price, great specs, and great games. I think the potential to be bigger than PS4 Is very real.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Its bad take season, and alot of wishful thinking.

Can't talk about the price anymore, lol, so now its everything else.

Naw, no resell hype. It's PS5 hype. It's real. And it's coming...

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Was the PS3 overhyped? I can't even remember. I do remember a shitload of mockery at the E3 conference though!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its possible. they are undershipping the $400 version 4:1 according to gamestop so the people who buy consoles for cheap wont be able to find it even after christmas. there is a good chance the xss might be appealing to those people, but tbh MS might be undershipping that console too. these consoles were clearly not meant to be that cheap.

spiderman was the biggest reason to upgrade going by youtube views and its on ps4 so just like that the main reason to buy a console, exclusives, no long applies to the ps5 for their biggest game.

I think sony will have to get down to $400 for the physical asap. like around january or march. i remember x1 and ps4 being neck in neck in november and december with x1 actually winning december 2013, but then from january to march, x1 all but died because it was too expensive. by may, they had a $400 version in stores but it was already too late. PS4 had become the fastest selling console by then and MS just couldnt keep up.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Possible, but not likely. While I'm sure plenty of people are buying these units with the intent of flipping them, I'd hesitate to call it a substantial portion of the audience. Plus, the amount of available PS3 stock really only stood out in contrast to the Wii - which was unavailable on store shelves until well into 2007.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I don't get the premise. I didn't buy consoles at launch back then, but I adored the PS3 library by the time I jumped in.

Status
Not open for further replies.