• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The successful uptake of any vaccine for Covid-19, a crucial step in returning a sense of normalcy after a year ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic, could be hindered by widespread contamination from a range of chemicals used in everyday products.

Small amounts of per- and polyfluoroalkyl (or PFAS) chemicals are commonly found in the bodies of people in the US, as well as several other countries. These man-made chemicals, used in everything from non-stick pans to waterproof clothes to pizza boxes, have been linked to an elevated risk of liver damage, decreased fertility and even cancer.

Research led by Grandjean has found that children exposed to PFAS had significantly reduced antibody concentrations after given tetanus and diphtheria vaccinations. A follow-up study of adult healthcare workers found similar results. Meanwhile, a certain type of PFAS, called perfluorobutyrate (or PFBA), accumulates in the lungs and can heighten the severity of illness suffered by people who are infected with Covid-19, separate research by Grandjean, yet to be peer-reviewed, has suggested.

"People with high exposure to PFAS have a non-protective and very low antibody levels after four vaccinations for diphtheria and tetanus," Grandjean said. "So if a vaccine for Covid is similar, the PFAS will likely inhibit the response from a vaccine. But it is an unknown at this stage."

The US president-elect, Joe Biden, has promised to crack down on PFAS pollutants by classifying them as hazardous substances. It is estimated more than 200 million Americans eat food and drink water laced with PFAS, known as "forever chemicals" as they linger long in the body, with hotspots found in areas around military bases where the chemicals are used in firefighting foam.

Despite this, only a few states require drinking water to be largely free from PFAS, a situation that a Biden-controlled Environmental Protection Agency will probably intervene in with new federal limits.

www.theguardian.com

Covid: chemicals found in everyday products could hinder vaccine

Researchers worry PFAS, commonly found in the bodies of Americans, will reduce the immunization’s effectiveness

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So now me eating boujee organic foods for the past 5 years has paid off!!!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember, people back then had lead cups, asbestos floors. Who knows what's killing us now and we don't know. People in the future will laugh at us like we laugh at those people in the past.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah wouldn't the trial results have shown the vaccinations to be way less effective if this was a serious problem?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't exactly a new thing wrt vaccines. But here we go into the pit of dispair!

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
OP, it seems bad to circulate something like this (not even peer-reviewed) to undercut faith in a vaccine, when said vaccine is not even determined yet... There are already vaccine trials underway that clearly are examining these effects just by virtue of measuring vaccine effectiveness.

It's just begging for people with limited scientific understanding to panic or to buy into anti-vaccine conspiracy.

Please think of the ramifications before you post clickbait thread titles.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This has been known for years with other vaccines being effected by PFAS. I think the level of lost immunity is still within levels that scientists and researchers are still okay with or else this would be a much larger issue. Not going to say that PFAS are a good thing. They need to be reduced in the amount of products that use them, but articles like these, like many before it, lead to undo fear mongering.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
I've done research on these perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) and I'll chip in my two cents. Yes, PFCs have very long half-life (in the environment and our bodies) and are pretty much traceable everywhere, but we're not completely sure about their overall effects on humans and the environment yet (it isn't as clear-cut as it is proposed in this article--most are just correlations not causation). We should be cutting down our pollution, yes, but it's not the end of the world. Plus, the studies brought up here are only from one group and one article's not even peer-reviewed yet.

Calm down, people.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I've done research on these perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) and I'll chip in my two cents. Yes, PFCs have very long half-life and are pretty much traceable everywhere, but we're not completely sure about their overall effects on humans and the environment yet (it isn't as clear-cut as it is proposed in this article--most are just correlations not causation). We should be cutting down our pollution, yes, but it's not the end of the world. Plus, the studies brought up here are only from one group and one article's not even peer-reviewed yet.

Calm down, people.
Good man, thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Just learning about this in this thread

what in the fuck.

How is this stuff not common knowledge if its this disruptive and prominent everywhere

I've done research on these perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) and I'll chip in my two cents. Yes, PFCs have very long half-life (in the environment and our bodies) and are pretty much traceable everywhere, but we're not completely sure about their overall effects on humans and the environment yet (it isn't as clear-cut as it is proposed in this article--most are just correlations not causation). We should be cutting down our pollution, yes, but it's not the end of the world. Plus, the studies brought up here are only from one group and one article's not even peer-reviewed yet.

Calm down, people.

Thanks for input.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Key paragraph:
The Pfizer vaccine is based on messenger RNA genetic material and it's uncertain if PFAS contamination would disrupt its efficacy in patients. But there are several other vaccine contenders that are formulated around the protein spikes of the virus, similar to vaccines for tetanus and diphtheria, and they may well also have poor results in people who have ingested PFAS.

Both of the near finished vaccines use mRNA while PFAS have only been shown to interfere with spike protein based vaccines. So it's probably not relevant.

Also all the trials are done with real humans, not idealized ones who never had contact with PFAS.

Nov 17, 2017
OP, it seems bad to circulate something like this (not even peer-reviewed) to undercut faith in a vaccine, when said vaccine is not even determined yet... There are already vaccine trials underway that clearly are examining these effects just by virtue of measuring vaccine effectiveness.

It's just begging for people with limited scientific understanding to panic or to buy into anti-vaccine conspiracy.

I said this in another thread by OP but they seem to have a habit of posting threads like this in this manner. This isn't the first time, feels like they're just posting articles all day everyday without much thought.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States

This is OP's schtick. Look at all the threads they've made over the last 8 months.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah these vaccine trials are testing effectiveness within the general US population; PFAS levels within the US shouldn't be a concern.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all. The current trials include tens of thousands of Americans. This is scaremongering garbage.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This article has little of substance and seems to only exist to feed the 24/7 demand for Covid 'news'.

Status
Not open for further replies.