• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
EDIT: CNBC headline inaccurate/misleading, vaccines are doing good

Where Do COVID Vaccines Stand Against the Variants?

www.webmd.com

COVID-19 Vaccines

Vaccines are seen as one of the best ways to stop COVID-19. Learn more about the types of vaccines, including the newly approved Novavax.

1800x1200_coronavirus_variants_graphic.jpg

Of the three "variants of concern" recognized by the World Health Organization and the CDC, studies have shown that the mRNA vaccines created by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, as well as the Novavax vaccine, remain highly effective against the B.1.1.7 variant, which was first recognized in the United Kingdom.

The mRNA vaccines are 4- to 7-fold less effective against the P.1 variant, which was first discovered in Brazil, but they still appear to be within an important "cushion of protection," particularly after two doses, and should prevent disease, according to Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

In February, Pfizer and BioNTech said they were testing a third dose of their Covid-19 vaccine to better understand the immune response against new variants of the virus.

Last edited:

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
This pandemic has shown that the media can't properly report on anything remotely scientific without completely screwing up

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
This thread should be nuked and replaced with one explaining the actual results, which show that the vaccines still prevent severe illness against the variants. The title of this one is incredibly sensationalist.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I strongly suggest you edit your thread title before you continue to share an inaccurate representation of the scientific findings of the study and spread FUD.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
As a Pfizer recipient, I went from "oh fuck" to "oh yay" while reading the first few posts. What a ride.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
So if I understand correctly, you can get the variant with the vaccine but it can't spread and it's weakened.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the more important part is about the British variant and only 1 dose of the vaccine since several countries are going with spacing out the doses.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So if I understand correctly, you can get the variant with the vaccine but it can't spread and it's weakened.

Not sure about weakened, but doesn't seem to spread according to the twitter thread

We see evidence for reduced vaccine effectiveness against the S.A. variant, but it does not spread in Israel.

We think that this reduced effectiveness occurs only in a short window of time (no B.1.351 cases 14+ days post 2nd dose), and that the S.A. variant does not spread efficiently. Thus, even more of a reason to get vaccinated and drive down cases to zero!

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
please change the thread title

I cant! I wish I could, but I reported it so it'll get closed or changed eventually

Im actually somewhat annoyed since I was specifically trying to make sure what was up with the variants and it seemed like everything was fine for most besides the Israel one slightly, but it was just multiple outlets running with the same take on the study

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
As a Pfizer recipient, I went from "oh fuck" to "oh yay" while reading the first few posts. What a ride.
Man seriously. The quickest ever "oh fuckkkkkkk" to "oh nvm" for me. The whiplash of emotions has made me confused.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
This kind of shit pulled by the big outlets should get some huge fines, the way they manipulate and communicate information to only stirr panic in the publi is irresponsible and harms the national vaccination plan, some people don't give a shit anymore, or they are too scared to even go out to get their shot of the vaccine.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
staff must be busy, that title is really going the distance

still, study certainly sounds like good news. i'm really glad i was able to get vaccinated

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I cant! I wish I could, but I reported it so it'll get closed or changed eventually

Im actually somewhat annoyed since I was specifically trying to make sure what was up with the variants and it seemed like everything was fine for most besides the Israel one slightly, but it was just multiple outlets running with the same take on the study

You can change the title by reporting your own thread using the report function. Just let them know and they'll edit it for you. I've done it before.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
As a Canadian who will be forced to wait 4 months, I want data on one dose not two haha but good news for those fully vaccinated.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I thought about rebooting the thread but considering the info isn't really accurate and doesn't really change the current information regarding the vaccine, I think a lock is best. Please be sure to carefully read your sources before posting threads in the future.

If you want to make a new thread with more accurate info, go ahead, but this thread is basically lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.