• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

David Cage said:
Having multiple consoles with different specs is similar to the environment on PC, where various configurations, graphic cards, and other features make development "much more complex", he said.

"When a manufacturer offers two consoles with different specs, there is a strong chance that most developers will focus on the lower-end version to avoid doing two different versions," Cage suggested.

"I must confess that I am really not a big fan of this situation. I think it is confusing for developers, but also for players, and although I can understand the commercial reasons behind this choice, I think the situation is questionable."

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
lol he would know

Noted developer Quantic Dream, which hasn't made any games for PS4 Pro or PC, because they're different specs and are thus confusing to develop for - oh wait...

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
I could see how from a development perspective, having multiple skus with different technical specifications settings is just vastly increasing the scope of QA.

Oct 27, 2017
This is no different than if there was another competitor on the market and you wanted to fit their specs for the console. I know he has to say this though.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
How so? Quantic Dreams games are on PC, and you can play them with a 2060 or a 2080Ti. We all know the differences, nothing confusing.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I thought devs could choose not to support the Series S or do they *have* to alongside the Series X?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Was the Xbox One and Xbox One X confusing? Are the PS4 and PS4 Pro confusing? These are all console pairs with different specifications.

The only thing confusing about these consoles are the names.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
He also said Detroit: Become Human is different from Blade Runner because you're meant to empathize with the androids.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
He's not entirely wrong and I think most developers would rather optimize for one powerful console instead of two (one with way lesser specs).

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
You have to put it in words David Cage would understand.

Series X: 4k inappropriate renders of Ellen Paige's model.

Series S: 1080p-1440p inappropriate renders of Ellen Paige's model.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess that means he's going to be skipping out of making games on Xbox this generation. Which is too bad seeing as that he has all those awesome games on Xbox One and One X.

... ... ...

Oh... wait... 🙄

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
You have to put it in words David Cage would understand.

Series X: 4k inappropriate renders of Ellen Paige's model.

Series S: 1080p-1440p inappropriate renders of Ellen Paige's model.

tenor.gif

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
how can they be a good developer when they make narrative-driven games, that, by your own admission, fail at their narratives?
Calm down, those games have shitty writing, but they are far from bad on the technical side, and this is the subject here.

And I'm not defending his stance, but he should know what he is talking about more than most here(Again, I think it is a bad take :P)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess that means he's going to be skipping out of making games on Xbox this generation. Which is too bad seeing as that he has all those awesome games on Xbox One and One X.

... ... ...

Oh... wait... 🙄
His next game is a multiplatform game. So I doubt he's going to skip Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.