• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone threads are always fun right? YES.

So I've figured this might make for some more thoughtful discussion; every thread thus far there has been a lot of respectful mutual sharing of opinion about the protagonist, Deacon being deeply, upsettingly generic. Thing is, no one has, for me, satisfactorily pinned down what the issue with him is and how they would improve the main character. Hence this thread!

Criticisms of Deacon and his deep seated genericism seem to boil down to;

- He's a bloke
- He's white
- He has a goatee thing
- He is presumably haunted by the traumatic events of his past

So, is the above an issue? If so, why? Assuming so, I propose we redesign the main character within the following constraints;

- Character must suit the location (Pacific Northwest)
- Character must be grounded in reality as that seems to be a theme with the game
- Character must have a biker background. The bike is the main form of traversal and I assume a main narrative background, so we can't just chuck it out without redesigning half the game.

Everything else go wild. What would your character be, how would you avoid stepping in the puddles of the generic without stumbling into the dog turds of edginess and tokenism?

For what it's worth, I think the game looks great and I have no problems with Deacon as a white, male, short haired, brown haired, tattooed biker. Look at him, the saucy bastard.

latest

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of neck tattoos and maybe let's make him sexier. Everyone loves button down shirts that are buttoned all the way up with no tie. All the rage in Milan these days. Love it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
everything I've seen of the guy I think he's kinda blah, but I mean a lot of people thought that about Arthur Morgan and now he's one of the GOAT protagonists, so who knows, maybe he'll be amazing

he won't be

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to play the game to see what he's like first before I can come up with any improvements.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping they do enough with the story to make him interesting. Its hard to get an idea of his character by the trailers

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Same bullshit was said about Arthur, and look how that turned out.

Lesson to be drawn from this is to not judge a book by its cover.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
He fits the theme of the game perfectly, I have no issues with him. Plus Sam Witwer is a talented guy whom I trust to deliver a solid performance.

Fina1e

Oct 27, 2017
Writing dictates what makes a character good, not what they look like (to an extent).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
he is fine. some people just likes to make drive by troll posts on every days gone thread that derail the threads to hell. Seriously there is a need for more moderation on these threads.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate biker culture and the biker look.

One of the reasons this game looks unappealing. That main protag does absolutely nothing for me.

Less than nothing even.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I believe this game features a main protagonist who is a biker......'looks at photo'.......yea,that looks like a biker.I don't see any issues with his design.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I remember people ribbing on Arthur Morgan when Red Dead 2 trailers were coming out.

I'm not saying that Days Gone's protagonist is gonna be on the same level, but being so sure of the suckiness of the protagonist of a game we haven't even played yet based on just some trailers and footage is pointless.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Surprise twist ending, Deacon and his bike are actually ghosts the entire time.

Serious though, he's fine.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't change a thing about his looks. Maybe make the hat to the front instead of the back but otherwise he looks fine. The race/sex/appearance are fine too because it is based on the voice actor.

Now for the story I am not sure because we don't know much.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Days Gone threads are always fun right? YES.

So I've figured this might make for some more thoughtful discussion; every thread thus far there has been a lot of respectful mutual sharing of opinion about the protagonist, Deacon being deeply, upsettingly generic. Thing is, no one has, for me, satisfactorily pinned down what the issue with him is and how they would improve the main character. Hence this thread!

Criticisms of Deacon and his deep seated genericism seem to boil down to;

- He's a bloke
- He's white
- He has a goatee thing
- He is presumably haunted by the traumatic events of his past

So, is the above an issue? If so, why? Assuming so, I propose we redesign the main character within the following constraints;

- Character must suit the location (Pacific Northwest)
- Character must be grounded in reality as that seems to be a theme with the game
- Character must have a biker background. The bike is the main form of traversal and I assume a main narrative background, so we can't just chuck it out without redesigning half the game.

Everything else go wild. What would your character be, how would you avoid stepping in the puddles of the generic without stumbling into the dog turds of edginess and tokenism?

For what it's worth, I think the game looks great and I have no problems with Deacon as a white, male, short haired, brown haired, tattooed biker. Look at him, the saucy bastard.

No, it isn't.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
He looks fine and he's played by a great actor. It's all good to me.

It's the other protagonists I'm worried about, and the story itself.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I remember people ribbing on Arthur Morgan when Red Dead 2 trailers were coming out.

I'm not saying that Days Gone's protagonist is gonna be on the same level, but being so sure of the suckiness of the protagonist of a game we haven't even played yet based on just some trailers and footage is pointless.
pretty much this.

I trust that Sam Witwer will give us a good performance.

Ypw6.gif

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
One legged albino with spiky red hair and a cape.

He also talks in a scouse accent and rides a donkey.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know about this thread. I was similarly not into how generic Arthur Morgan looked in RDR2 when I first saw him but now I wouldn't want to change a single thing about him. It's all in the writing and the performance and like Arthur, maybe there's a reason why he looks the way he does.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same bullshit was said about Arthur, and look how that turned out.

Lesson to be drawn from this is to not judge a book by its cover.
To be fair, Rockstar didn't really show Arthur in a good light. All we got was some random scenes with him robbing stuff with the gang or doing crime. We didn't see any humanity on the trailer unlike what we were used to in the past Rockstar Game trailers.

Thankfully in the main game he was the best new character this generation.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't change a thing about his looks. Maybe make the hat to the front instead of the back but otherwise he looks fine. The race/sex/appearance are fine too because it is based on the voice actor.

Now for the story I am not sure because we don't know much.
I'm not a biker, but wouldn't a baseball cap facing forward blow off soon after you begin riding?

Status
Not open for further replies.