• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So with the potential revival rumors floating around I thought about how the best evolution for Dead Space might be to go deep underwater. In Dead Space 3 they already tried to mix things up with the snow storms, probably trying to evoke feelings similar to the Thing but as we all know that didn't exactly work out. I think compared to space, a snow storm also just isn't scary enough.

What makes water in comparison such a perfect substitute is that deep sea exploration has so many similar elements to deep space. Both space and the deep sea are inherently deadly environments for humans, everyone needs to wear heavy gear when outside, one crack in your helmet is enough to kill you, movement is inhibited and slow, but at the time you're not bound by gravity. When going inside you have to pass an airlock and you're confined to small bases or ships with the threat of death constantly looming outside. A deep sea breach is not unlike a vacuum breach, though even deadlier and quicker. One aspect that makes the deep sea even scarier is the constant darkness, no starlight or sun to illuminate surfaces just pure darkness and human made beacons. There's also a more real, primal fear that makes us scared of what might lurk at the bottom of a deep dark trench

The recent movie "Underwater" basically already delivered a perfect example of what I could imagine an underwater Dead Space to look like.

85NsDmB.jpg

There's of course also Soma which already made fantastic use of the setting. Particulary the descent into the real deep sea

5YdLbDN.jpg

And of course none of this would mean that there's no space sci-fi, the game could be split into parts, one more classic, above planet and another where the player is forced to deep into an ocean.

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's much to discuss, just wanted to throw this idea out.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I approve of this idea. The deep sea terrifies me more than deep space does. Subnautica was one of the scariest games I played until I saw what the big bad creatures looked like (underwhelming).

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I've been meaning to watch that Underwater movie. Is it any good?

Doesn't seem to be a lot of Lovecraftian movies out there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind undersea bases or subaquatic cities, but fuck swimming in games. You always spend more time fighting with the controls than actually playing the game.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that SOMA screenshot, makes me think I should do another run of SOMA. What a fantastic experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.