• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Link:
YouTube's flagship scripted series Cobra Kai will be moving to a new streaming platform for its upcoming third season. The Google-owned online video service is in the process of releasing Season 3 of the popular show to producing studio Sony Pictures TV amid a retreat from premium original scripted programming.

Sony TV had taken Cobra Kai out, with all major streamers expressing interest, sources said. I hear the field of suitors has been narrowed down, with Netflix and Hulu leading the short list of contenders for the Karate Kid sequel series, starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka.

No one would comment but I hear that, along with exclusive rights to Season 3 of Cobra Kai, the new outlet will have access on a non-exclusive basis to the first two seasons of the show for fans to catch up. That has been part of the negotiation with YouTube, which had ownership in and exclusive global rights to the first two seasons under the original license agreement with Sony TV.

News is a few days old but didn't see a thread.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
It might not be the audience that youtube is trying to capture, but if its bringing in money, why does it matter?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I don't have to pay for another sub service, I'm ok with this.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Link:

News is a few days old but didn't see a thread.

www.resetera.com

Cobra Kai season 3 will not air on YouTube - currently looking for new streaming home (Up: Netflix lands rights)

https://deadline.com/2020/05/cobra-kai-closing-in-new-streaming-home-youtube-release-season-3-series-netflix-hulu-1202941951/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Youtube told them they'll definitely not renew due to their pivot away from scripted content. Sony asked if they can take shop the third season around and they agreed, which is pretty nice of them.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Cobra Kai season 3 will not air on YouTube - currently looking for new streaming home (Up: Netflix lands rights)

https://deadline.com/2020/05/cobra-kai-closing-in-new-streaming-home-youtube-release-season-3-series-netflix-hulu-1202941951/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Youtube told them they'll definitely not renew due to their pivot away from scripted content. Sony asked if they can take shop the third season around and they agreed, which is pretty nice of them.
Damn. My bad. I did search Cobra Kai and only got threads for seasons 1 and 2.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So the other service wouldn't get the first two seasons, which would still be exclusive to youtube? I'm not sure how many people are going to subscribe to watch, then...

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So the other service wouldn't get the first two seasons, which would still be exclusive to youtube? I'm not sure how many people are going to subscribe to watch, then...
You misread. The new streaming platform will get access to the first 2 seasons, but it will not be exclusive to them cause YouTube will also be allowed to stream them as well.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Odd that YouTube isn't renewing their most popular show. Are they getting out of the streaming service business? Seems like it really helped their YouTube red platform quite a bit

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Odd that YouTube isn't renewing their most popular show. Are they getting out of the streaming service business? Seems like it really helped their YouTube red platform quite a bit
They're done with scripted shows. Second sentence in OP:

YouTube's flagship scripted series Cobra Kai will be moving to a new streaming platform for its upcoming third season. The Google-owned online video service is in the process of releasing Season 3 of the popular show to producing studio Sony Pictures TV amid a retreat from premium original scripted programming.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know the first season was supposed to be fantastic, but was the second on par?
I can kinda agree w/ the criticisms of melodrama and contrivances, but by no means is it a disappointment. Chances are if you enjoyed the first season, you'll be pretty content w/ season two.
unless you're this guy lol
It was really bad actually. Way too cheesy and melodramatic.

First season was aces.

To put it another way, I'm just as excited for the next season as I was for the previous one ;D

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
YouTube abandoning scripted content in favor of doubling down on advertising models sounds like the worst fucking possibility. What a shitty company.possibility. What a shitty company.

Status
Not open for further replies.