• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an official proclamation Tuesday declaring a Florida resident the "rightful winner" of an NCAA women's swimming championship race over transgender swimmer Lia Thomas.

Thomas — the University of Pennsylvania swimmer whose record-breaking season has sparked national debate over whether trans women should compete on female sports teams — became the first transgender athlete to win an NCAA championship last week, placing first in the 500-yard freestyle race at the Division I finals in Atlanta on Thursday.

DeSantis said he would "reject these lies and recognize" University of Virginia swimmer and Florida resident Emma Weyant, who came in second place, as the winner.

www.nbcnews.com

DeSantis slams NCAA and Lia Thomas, declares Florida swimmer 'rightful winner'

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the "NCAA is destroying opportunities for women" and "perpetuating a fraud" by letting transgender women compete in women's sports.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
it's like he can't miss any opportunities to be terrible

truly focusing on the important things

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to see the athlete he "chose" as the winner come out and just rip him a new one publicly.

What a piece of shit DeSantis is...

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
"<event> would have had <outcome> under Florida law. Therefore we consider that <outcome> occurred"

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
honestly, did we expect anything else from this fucking transphobe?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
did Weyant complain? I was only aware of that loser in 17th place (who should have been faster lol).
if she didn't complain about this, it's pretty vile to drag her into this.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I hope Weyant comes out against this and refuses the title of winner. If she's silent, that will be telling.

This idiot needs to be shamed and humiliated.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Of course this moron did. Lia played by the (harsh) rules set for her and won fair and square. STFU Deathsantis. I hope Emma responds and throws his accolades back in his punchable face.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Weyant comes out against this and refuses the title of winner. If she's silent, that will be telling.

some college athlete people only know of because she lost is probably not obligated to publicly rebuke a nationally known politician engaging in culture war theater just to keep his name in the news cycle. If she chooses to do so, good for her.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
What "lies" is he even talking about?

God-damn Florida is really a fucking sewer and should just return to wetlands as that would be better than to have this scum of the earth perpetuate so much vitriol and hate.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Also, it's fucking absurd that these transhobes, homophobes, and for lack of a better phrase conservative mysoginits have nothing better to do than to uphold the patriarchy in sports.

No one cares when trans people work at a store, when trans people go to college, when trans people ride a car . . . but if it's a sport, all hell breaks lose in the minds of these people.

The laughable part is that DeSantis or any other (straight) man outside of the core aficionados wouldn't even care about this sport. They only care about stomping on overacheivers.

Note that they barely even care when people dope, which is a true problem.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The whiplash from watching Tangerine before bed last night and this being one of the first things I see this morning. DeSantis is a truly vile man.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The utter insanity of people voting for this guy. At the bare minimum you must believe that he has better things to do than this shit.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's like some people actually believe that there aren't NCAA rules on HRT and timelines involved here, and that a notional person could ping-pong between competitive divisions on a whim. Also, the same people never gave a fuck about college sports until this very moment.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is shameless.

Athlete follows all rules and emerges victorious… she won. Get over it.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Fuck him and fuck transphobia.

Also, it's fucking absurd that these transhobes, homophobes, and for lack of a better phrase conservative mysoginits have nothing better to do than to uphold the patriarchy in sports.

No one cares when trans people work at a store, when trans people go to college, when trans people ride a car . . . but if it's a sport, all hell breaks lose in the minds of these people.

The same people getting mad over this do care about trans folks doing all those things. That's why they continue to target trans folks with laws making it harder and harder to be themselves. This is about far more than just sports.

115,000 likes…for real?

Transphobia spans the political spectrum.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I hope when the midterms come the Republicans do not gain more seats. There needs to be drastic shift away from this hate.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Aside from being transphobic, it's also just dumb. Like he can declare the Miami Heat the 2020 NBA champions but everyone watched them lose sooo… have fun with that, I guess?

Just like these other Republican pieces of trash that think they can sit there and lie to you about exactly what you're seeing and have you believe it.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Aside from being transphobic, it's also just dumb. Like he can declare the Miami Heat the 2020 NBA champions but everyone watched them lose sooo… have fun with that, I guess?

Just like these other Republican pieces of trash that think they can sit there and lie to you about exactly what you're seeing and have you believe it.

It's not the same because at least half the country agrees that she wasn't a "real" winner.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
ladies and gentlemen, your 2024 US President.

I hate this fucker with a passion but he knows what he's doing. He's giving right wing assholes what they want. He knows his public. And sadly I know moderates and even leftists who will agree with him with this statement.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans have really latched onto this being the new boogeyman and their voters are sadly on board. I really hate this guy and I hope he gets hit by a train.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
florida-bugs-bunny.gif

Drea

Banned
Jul 30, 2021
Unfortunately a lot of people agree with him. My entire office went on a disgusting transphobic rant after this happened and they all claim to be liberals.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the rights new target, people don't give a fuck about the sport, but going to arm chair expert how she's not the winner and how she wouldn't qualify if it was the mens division.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Republicans have really latched onto this being the new boogeyman and their voters are sadly on board. I really hate this guy and I hope he gets hit by a train.

Not only republican voters, as someone said earlier transphobia spans the political spectrum...republican politicians want to push this hard to get votes from outside their traditional pool.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Culture war bullshit like this is why Florida is likely lost for good to the GOP. It plays extremely well amongst the very religious Hispanic population in addition to the traditional conservative base. Just like all the other outrageous shit DeSantis has said and done over the last couple of years.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately a lot of people agree with him. My entire office went on a disgusting transphobic rant after this happened and they all claim to be liberals.
This.

Even people who believe Transgenders should be treated with respect and dignity, granted full rights, and be protected are not completely convinced on transwomen competing in women's sports.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018

If Weyant does decide to publicly contradict DeathSantis in defense of Thomas and other trans athletes, watch for her to get death threats cuz of rabidly transphobic deplorables. I'm sure she's aware of this likelihood, as is DeathSantis and other politicians who relish in siccing their hateful base on innocent people to win political points.

I personally hope Weyant and other cis competitors speak out in defense of Lia. Let's just be fully aware of the sick game DeathSantis is playing here to steamroll dissent. If Weyant does opt to keep silent for her own safety's sake, I will be disappointed, but I won't judge her to be transphobic for not being as brave as Lia.

Jim Crow never left, it's just targeting transgender
Can we not? IMO, the trans experience and the Black experience in America are both horrifying enough on their own. We don't need to draw dubious parallels like this. (On a question of scale alone, nothing compares with the Black experience, absolutely nothing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.