• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
User banned (1 month): Creating a conspiracy theory concern trolling thread
Watching the Digital Foundry and Easy Allies videos back to back, I was immediately taken aback by how eerily similar their comically belabored attempts at pronunciation were. It seemed very intentional and ultimately embarassingly cringy, as though they had been coached on how to handle it. I know there was some kerfuffle about Sony's heavy handed control over Last of Us 2 media and reviews, and am wondering if there may be signals of Sony overstepping bounds and exerting too much influence on media.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Even if it's the case (which is obviously not), how did providing guidelines on how to correctly pronounce a foreign word become overstepping bounds and exerting too much influence on media

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They played the game so of course they'd know how to say it.

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think telling outlets how a word is pronounced is "overstepping bounds and exerting too much influence on media". Tsushima is a real place, they should say it right.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
wait-what-gif.gif

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I sound like an idiot every time I say it and struggle a bit. Clearly I haven't mastered the way of the sword like you have.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I know Easy Allies got some flack for mispronouncing it on the podcast a while back and John from DF seems to try pretty hard to pronounce things correctly

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Haha this is funny. However, English speaking people seem to have big issues pronouncing Japanese. Before anyone kills me, NO NOT EVERYONE.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Tsushima is a real place, I hope people try to pronounce it correctly.

Also what

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The way that John pronounced it in the DF video is certainly not the right way, lol: Ghost of *pause* Tttttsushima.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
In the game, the characters pronounce it as "Su-shima" rather than "Su-sheema"
Slightly off-topic, but...
I first learned the correct pronunciation during one of Sony's State of Plays, but one of my friends informed me that both are technically correct. Something about masculine/feminine dialects or something? Is he right or full of bs? I'm going to keep pronouncing it like the game does, but I'm just curious.

Oct 24, 2019
Maybe their attempts sounded "extremely belabored" because Japanese isn't their native language and they wanted to make sure that they were pronouncing the name of the game as accurately as possible in order to not come off as unprofessional/ignorant?

Did you consider that OP? But no, please, you go ahead and keep trying to stir up fake controversy around Sony LMAO

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I've seen some leaps of logic in my time, but turning "someone pronounced something correctly" into "Sony is exerting pressure on journalists" is quite an achievement.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sony: "Listen to us or else."
Writers: "Okay, sir."
Sony: "You must say the name this way."
Writers: "Yes, sir."
Sony: "And give it a 9/10"
Writers: "6, but we said the name just how you demanded."

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
They have a stern looking man in suit and sunglasses stand behind everyone that says it just to make sure they say it right. If they don't they get kneecapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.