• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Sony or anyone else stop posting gameplay material that will never happen?

• No, I like to believe in the dream and see the potential

Votes: 251 47.4%
  • Yes, I don't want to be lied to

Votes: 279 52.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Think Witcher 3 downgrade or Ubisoft. I am not ok with the way Sony is overhyping graphics and then downgrading them at launch, Ghost of Tsushima is another title that seems to be downgraded after TLOU2

Worse motion blur, worse lighting, worse shadows

Especially disappointed with the character models in TLOU2

Sony was not like this previously this gen with GoW and Horizon, hoping they are not lying to us with PS5 games too because they already do not impress as "next gen".

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Both games still look highly impressive. Watch Dogs looked like shit even on a PC. There is a difference between what Ubisoft was doing and what Sony is accomplishing here. I wouldn't label it as a downgrade.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Lol, no. I play on PS4 Slim and didn't see any model as ugly as that TLOU II video.

Both TLOU II and GoT are among the best looking games of the gen, maybe the best for TLOU II.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Nah.

Siege, The Division and Watch Dogs downgrades were much bigger than UC4, GoT and TLOU 2

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Kinda hard to get mad at these downgrades when they're still two of the best looking video games this generation. TLOU II in particular arguably being the best looking ever from a technical standpoint.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
You consistently make the worst poll options on the site OP >.<

I feel bad voting either one :(

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Naah, even with the downgrades both Sony titles look incredible. Ubisoft's initial Watch Dogs, Division, Siege downgrades are on another level.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even remember what the games looked like in their first reveal. 😂

That's good for me I guess.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Both are easily amongst the best looking games this gen, so I can't say it concerns me. They release final build gameplay footage closer to release anyways.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
giphy.gif

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should artificially lower the graphics for reveals, would help all these people without perspective cope. Nah actually who cares.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but people dislike Ubisoft a lot more than Sony so it's overlooked.

Last edited:

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Shit poll options.

Also: who gives a shit? The games both look amazing.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
The GoT footage is strange, is it at a different time of day or something as well as just different in the final product? Its like a totally different kind of film grading in terms of colour and contrast

It still looks amazing to me, artistically.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) gamers should stop expecting absolutely nothing to change in trade demos 2+ years out from release
2) devs should be more careful in not pretending that the trade demo is exactly what the final game will look at (famous example being the naughty dog dev that barked at a crystal dynamics dev for... telling the truth)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Is this some kind of a joke thread? Hasn't it been proven that TLOUSII released with better graphics than the ones shown during development? Same for pretty much ALL Sony titles. Every time there is a downgrade thread that immediately gets debunked.

I'm not sure about GoT's situation but it's definitely not some kind of Sony's habit.

I won't even bother commenting on the poll options.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we going to forget that Digital Foundry actually said that TLOU 2 was improved?

Or is not inline with the really dumb point OP is trying to make?

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Both games look spectacular even after downgrades. And remember they are ought to work on a 7 year old consoles - this is amazing feat to say the least. Also, some of the changes you barely notice during the heat of the action. The most important thing is that the mood, overall tone are still there. I think they managed much much better than let's say Ubisoft with Watch Dogs or CDPR with Witcher 3 where in some places the games felt flat

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 is currently the best looking console game i've played so... not sure i'd call it overhyped graphically.

Mutley

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Sony have always shown trailers that their console can't deliver look at the PS2 and PS3 launch trailers.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Considering TLOU2 is probably the most impressive game I've played to date I'm finding it hard to care.

Also echoing people on why the OP always has these needlessly stupid poll options each time.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
Controversial opinion?: I didn't have a problem with the way Watch Dogs looked or either of these games. I think they all looked great for what their game type is.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking about examples of the biggest bullshots this gen, I think the 60 fps Uncharted 4 teaser takes the cake.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's hard to care about any "downgrade" when TLOU2 is still the best looking game I've played. Likewise with GoT in terms of open world environments.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
both of these games are among the best looking i've played, i really don't give a shit they don't look as good as the developers wanted it to earlier in development

"being lied to" lmao

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I love how the framing is from the perspective that it's deliberate, instead of say -

"Vertical slices/demos shown 24 months before final product is ready come with risk of developers misjudging certain aspects that needs to be adjusted as they go through the chunk of development, both in terms of stuff that can be improved in presentation and stuff that needs to be lowered."

You know, like the puddles in Spider-Man. I'm sure that was some deviousness on the part of Sony/Insomniac.

I also love how the framing insinuates that Sony mandates their developers to lie about how their game could look and force them to downgrade it later, almost as if the final product isn't also one of the best looking games on the platform - and that even if they revealed the game looking as they are in the final product, they'd still be technical masterpieces, as per Digital Foundry's articles that say as much.

And bringing up God of War is hilarious. If we want to play devil's advocate, God of War actually suffered the worst "downgrades" in a manner of speaking from reveal to final product. There were mechanics shown in the first trailer for God of War that didn't make it into the final game in any shape or form, such as the system of "Kratos teaching Atreus grants him XP."

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah well FWIW I don't trust any bullshots by Sony, Ubisoft, or a bunch of others.

They cannot accurately show what the consoles will actually produce in the end product.

But it always gets worse.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
GOT and TLOU2 are some of the most impressive games I've ever played. And I have a high end pc.

This is such nonsense. Games are optimised during development. This downgrade shit is such an insult to the developers who pour their heart and soul into these games.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
the only super bad downgrades i remeber are watchdogs 2012 visuals and anthem/no man's sky gameplay. you see slight down grades from e3 demos all the time but that's just game development things change hardware/time constraints are met your gonna get some downgrade from most companies besides Nintendo that usually show gameplay close to release or have limited graphical hopes.

basically come into all e3 trailers with a grain of salt what your seeing is the developers dream they are trying to hit. usually most devs come close with some downgrades do to development constraints but that's not the same as the killzone cgi scam for example.

maybe have e3 trailer state target demo next to the little in game fine print that's common in trailers?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
LOL OP is a troll,Part 2 actually has improved and is currently the best looking game of this gen,how your are comparing to The Witcher 3 and Ubisoft downgrades is hilarious,nice try.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Both games still look highly impressive. Watch Dogs looked like shit even on a PC. There is a difference between what Ubisoft was doing and what Sony is accomplishing here. I wouldn't label it as a downgrade.
I think Ubisoft is worse, but this doesn't take away the fact that The Last of Us 2 got downgraded in detail, shadows and animations. There is no artistic reason to stop using LOD0 models during gameplay. That's the definition of a downgrade and I'd argue was done on purpose. This isn't the first ND game on PS4 and they should've known their incredible detailed cutscene models won't run on PS4 during gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.