• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did the media hype up corona too much?

• Yes

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 196 76.9%
  • No but they didn’t help the situation

Votes: 49 19.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I try to avoid talking about corona at work but it's not really possible at a hospital. I was shocked by a response I got from a co-worker whom I respect. I asked how another co-worker, who was buying into this is all media hype from day 1, if her attitude had changed recently since it's been a couple weeks since I talked to her. I was not expecting the response the media is to blame.

She went on about how people are going crazy, which is true. But I'm not sure how you pin that all on the media personally? Like I said, I respect this person so I was surprised they went with the media blame game but I guess it's all the rage these days.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Er, the opposite. If anything, lots of the media down played the virus and that's why numbers are exploding.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This seems like a thread that we would have had like two months ago that people would necrobump and laugh at now.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
"Hype it up too much?" Hardly. Given that many hospitals are just barely holding on with the measures that were taken I can only imagine how bad things would be if (most of) the media hadn't taken it seriously.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Did the media put too much hype into a highly contagious mutating virus for which there is no vaccine and its consequent global pandemic?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about pandemic response is that if you respond correctly it will look like you overreacted.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Are you serious? They completely downplayed it and now look at the shitshow we're in. Comes down to the current admin mostly. Half -1 media half +1 admin.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What warranted this thread exactly? Is the thousands of people dead in the U.S in the span of a month and a half not enough for you?

Feb 1, 2018
Nobody in the west took it seriously until it jumped the pacific ocean and those US state department families were quarantined at military bases in CA like a sci fi movie

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem, if any, really seems to be the networks focusing on the numbers out of NYC, and NY state by extension, that it makes it seem like that is what is going on across the country. I also realize they are really pressing the conditions in NYC because they don't want what has happened there to explode across the country. That is why I mainly listen to Fauci and Birx and not the talking heads on the networks outside of medical experts. So at times it might feel like they are overhyping it, but I think they are doing it because if they don't people won't take it seriously and end up putting us in a worse place than we are right now. People still aren't taking it seriously, especially here in FL, and if they stop "overhyping it", if you can even call it that, the people who are fed up with having to stay inside will be back at the bars and gathering in big groups and causing a wave larger than what is going on right now.

EDIT: The reason for the first part of my post is I am staying with my parents right now and my mom won't even let me go and get the mail from my apartment. She just sits and watches the news all day and has said a few times "This is the end of the world." She has forbade me from going to the store and fears even getting carry-out for meals. It took a concerted effort to get her to go to the store to restock our food a week ago. We basically told her the numbers will only keep going up and even though it is scary, she needs to go now before they got any worse. She bought us 2 weeks of food a week ago and then yesterday said we are going into household quarantine for the next two weeks (Do the math, that means we will have to make 2 weeks of food last 3 weeks). I realize she is doing it to protect me as I have Cystic Fibrosis, but her continued ratcheting up is starting to get to me.

I'm 35 years old and married, but my wife is in a skilled nursing facility for physical rehab recovering from a brain injury, and I can't visit her, so I am all alone right now. I came dow to my parents because I didn't want to be alone, but I have started to regret it. Also if this keep going on I am just going to have to go home because I still am paying rent on an apartment that is completely empty right now

Last edited:

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I know a couple of folks who still think everyone's going through a mass hysteria and it's just another "basic flu", and the media is always wrong and evil and corrupt.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
That seems to be the new Republican talking point.

edit: I work in a store and I'm considered essential and I wish they would put the fear of God into people because they aren't stopping their regular routines. Families are still coming into our stores as a giant group, friends are coming in all together to get stuff to hang out, people are stopping in to buy 1 box of candy, or a single pack of cigarettes. These are not essential trips and they are really starting to piss me off.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The media is reporting on this virus the exact right amount. People should be concerned enough to stay the fuck indoors. People staying isolated is literally the difference between thousands of dead and millions of dead if the "media wasn't hyping this up."

The bigger problem is how much conservative media and politicians have (and are currently!) trying to still downplay the virus even as exponential growth is ongoing. The downplaying literally translates into deaths. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this, but it's 2020 and here we are.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Almost 13k dead in about 5ish weeks? And this is just the beginning. Almost 2k dead in US in one day and it's gonna get worse?

no. Media didn't hype it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The thing about pandemic response is that if you respond correctly it will look like you overreacted.
Yep. Interestingly enough I saw something recent,y where the media really reports a lot of these diseases somewhat highly as a huge thing. I think in this case it should've been even higher scale.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
did the media hype up World War I too much

because we're like ten days away from more americans dying of this, and in dramatically less time

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thousands of people dead in global pandemic and governments implementing rules to limit transmission rates= " Lol people overhyped this virus"......what?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
tgn5n.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Over 82,000 people worldwide have died from the Virus, with that number easily doubling or tripling by the time this is all over.

Exactly how many deaths qualifies as "not hyped up" to you?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I try to avoid talking about corona at work but it's not really possible at a hospital. I was shocked by a response I got from a co-worker whom I respect. I asked how another co-worker, who was buying into this is all media hype from day 1, if her attitude had changed recently since it's been a couple weeks since I talked to her. I was not expecting the response the media is to blame.

She went on about how people are going crazy, which is true. But I'm not sure how you pin that all on the media personally? Like I said, I respect this person so I was surprised they went with the media blame game but I guess it's all the rage these days.
So this is a health care professional saying they think this is overblown?

If so, that does genuinely surprise me. Every doctor, nurse, surgeon etc. that gets interviewed seems to be pretty distraught over all this.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
You've got to be fucking kidding me....

Yeah, you're supposed to "overreact" to threats like a pandemic.

All this.
And even then we've still got fuckers thinking they're special in whatever way going about their lives as usual dragging the entire freaking community down with them.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Hell no. The opposite is true if anything especially in the US where the biggest media organisation is STILL downplaying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.