• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It would be a huge letdown if it didn't.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yea this is really obvious. The only reason why PS4 can't play PS3 game is because of the crazy architecture and CPU in PS3.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, they would be really, really dumb to not have it. Such a large userbase, so many people with years long PS+ subscriptions including all these games... You don't throw that away just like that.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Yeah, that's the right way to go. Nobody wants to buy their games again

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Full BC from PS1-->PS4 would be my dream come true and you'd better believe I'm supporting this console day one if this happens.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
With how critically well BC has been received for MS with the One Sony would be nuts to allow them to monopolize that market again this upcoming gen. The better question would be how will Sony approach it. If they follow MS and enhance titles, etc. then awesome. If not then well I guess great but they need to offer more than just basic BC.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I just want to say that that's John's personal Twitter account and I think he's speaking for himself and not necessarily on behalf of Digital Foundry, so I think the title should be changed

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John posts here, I'd love to know if this is his inference or based on actual sources.

With how critically well BC has been received for MS with the One Sony would be nuts to allow them to monopolize that market again this upcoming gen. The better question would be how will Sony approach it. If they follow MS and enhance titles, etc. then awesome. If not then well I guess great but they need to offer more than just basic BC.

You and I have different ideas of basic BC. If one says they are going to have PS4 BC, I would assume it's all PS4 games.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it would certainly be nice. But I'm unsure. They've been treating their legacy like garbage...

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
isn't this thread title a little disingenuous? Really it's "a writer at Digital Foundry says PS5 will have backwards compatibility"

I mean, I trust John quite a bit considering the quality and consistency of his work, but he's not representative of the outlet here.

Oct 26, 2017
I won't believe this until the console launches. Sony has done absolutely nothing this gen to suggest this will happen

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saving the God of War replay for the PS5 because the Pro is a fucking jet and a half, and I might be able to put off TLOU II and Death Stranding for it.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
This is good news. But I'm more curious if it has full backwards compatibility. Need the PS1, PS2, and PS3 confirmation.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
Ya, I remember people saying the same with PS4, yet it had even worse BC than the PS3.... as in, none at all.... not even PSN PS1 game support.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
It better have backwards compatibility. Bonus points if they can get at least PS1 and PS2 support.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think it's a near certainty that it will have backwards compatibility with PS4, and for me personally that's good enough. However, I am curious to see if it has backwards compatibility with PS1/2 and/or PS3.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
There is a massive disconnect between the thread title and the contents here.

It's not a statement from DF that they know PS5 will be BC, it's a reply comment from an individual who is part of DF stating they BELIEVE the PS5 will have BC.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the PS5 will have BC, but we absolutely cannot rule out that Sony will pull something stupid until the PS5 reveal. They've done stupid stuff before, they absolutely can again.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
felt like this would be a given. No BC would be it'd be too easy for their base to up and move over to MS (which is pretty much what happened in reverse this gen)

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A thread based on a tweet in reply to a random question? I mean, if there was an article ... sure? There's nothing here that DF haven't guessed at before. It needs BC

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
was he saying this in his official role working at digital foundry because this just looks like an offhand twitter comment

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I am of the opinion that PS5 absolutely requires backwards compatibility with PS4 to not fail in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.