• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious, too.

I won't name anyone (pretty sure that would be against the ToS), but there are definitely some forum posters here (some have avatars, and some don't) whose only apparent purpose is to push dissent among the progressive American members of this forum.

I mean, pushing it like it's their 9-5.

Right now, there's a thread in which people are literally acting indignant about Biden PLAYING A VIDEO GAME WITH HIS GRANDDAUGHTER. Some posters never miss an opportunity to bring up the $1,400 vs $2,000 checks in any thread that is about any democrat, or blame them for covid not being eliminated fast enough.

These will be the ones saying "both sides are the same!" or something like "I supported Democrats before, but they've failed me and I will never support them again!" type of rhetoric.

9 times out of 10, these points are insincere, and some are arguing them in bad faith. Their arguments are made to plant a seed of dissatisfaction into you, and are designed to introduce fission into a community of like-minded individuals.

Some folks definitely have legitimate grievances and only want to inform others, but how can anyone (democrat, republican, independent, or neutral observer) be disappointed in Biden when he hasn't even been president for a month? This goes for any president from any party. He hasn't signed ANY major legislation yet, because there have been no bills sent to him yet. This president wasn't even afforded a complete transition from his predecessor in the normal sense, yet the "just asking questions" posters here want to feign outrage over any little thing.

I know this comes off as a defense of Biden, and you would be somewhat correct in assuming so. I'm doing this because this administration literally just started during the biggest crisis we've faced as a nation yet, and we've had posters blaming democrats before Biden was even sworn in. Seems a little premature, doesn't it?

But seriously people, ALWAYS think for yourselves before you draw any conclusions based off of some of the posters here, me included. You can apply this to all discussion here and in your own lives. Disinformation campaigns DO exist and are carried out in places you least expect.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
As I said in the previous thread, it's not about Biden playing a video game with his granddaughter. It's about people glorifying normalcy and mundanity in a moment of unprecedented suffering. It's people being, "thankful," that they can ignore the presidency and and the reality of the world right now.

We can fix these problems by recognizing reality and it's absolutely disgusting that people are handwaving the vital and material concerns that hundreds of millions of people in the US have right now.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious, too.

I won't name anyone (pretty sure that would be against the ToS), but there are definitely some forum posters here (some have avatars, and some don't) whose only apparent purpose is to push dissent among the progressive American members of this forum.

I mean, pushing it like it's their 9-5.

Right now, there's a thread in which people are literally acting indignant about Biden PLAYING A VIDEO GAME WITH HIS GRANDDAUGHTER. Some posters never miss an opportunity to bring up the $1,400 vs $2,000 checks in any thread that is about any democrat, or blame them for covid not being eliminated fast enough.

These will be the ones saying "both sides are the same!" or something like "I supported Democrats before, but they've failed me and I will never support them again!" type of rhetoric.

9 times out of 10, these points are insincere, and some are arguing them in bad faith. Their arguments are made to plant a seed of dissatisfaction into you, and are designed to introduce fission into a community of like-minded individuals.

Some folks definitely have legitimate grievances and only want to inform others, but how can anyone (democrat, republican, independent, or neutral observer) be disappointed in Biden when he hasn't even been president for a month? This goes for any president from any party. He hasn't signed ANY major legislation yet, because there have been no bills sent to him yet. This president wasn't even afforded a complete transition from his predecessor in the normal sense, yet the "just asking questions" posters here want to feign outrage over any little thing.

I know this comes off as a defense of Biden, and you would be somewhat correct in assuming so. I'm doing this because this administration literally just started during the biggest crisis we've faced as a nation yet, and we've had posters blaming democrats before Biden was even sworn in. Seems a little premature, doesn't it?

But seriously people, ALWAYS think for yourselves before you draw any conclusions based off of some of the posters here, me included. You can apply this to all discussion here and in your own lives. Disinformation campaigns DO exist and are carried out in places you least expect.
I completely agree. These people are extremely short sighted or absolutely do this shit in bad faith. People need to educate themselves before speaking up.

As I said in the previous thread, it's not about Biden playing a video game with his granddaughter. It's about people glorifying normalcy and mundanity in a moment of unprecedented suffering. It's people being, "thankful," that they can ignore the presidency and and the reality of the world right now.

We can fix these problems by recognizing reality and it's absolutely disgusting that people are handwaving the vital and material concerns that hundreds of millions of people in the US have right now.
You are not wrong, but do you have more examples of this happening? I mean you would have a lot over the past 4 years considering this is a Forum not just about politics. Theres stuff unrelated to the rigors and difficulties of life all over the front page. Where are these concerns in those threads? Is it only because it is related to the President? In which case it is about Biden playing video games with his granddaughter.

Last edited:

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
lol, I was tempted to make a similar thread about how some people here can't handle any criticism of dems

edit: as I said in the other thread: they aren't our friends, they aren't "our side". We are people. We are citizens of a country. We want our leaders to do things. I'd wager I'm on the older side of this forum (34 this year) and I can tell you Democratic leadership has always been weak. That's why from 2016-2018 we had the minority party controlling the executive and both chambers of congress. And when the party does have a public mandate, instead of easy wins they debate amongst themselves how best they can shoot themselves in the foot.

And while this is happening, we have people arguing the equivalent of Trumps 34d Galactic chess. "You're too shortsighted." "You obviously don't know how politics really work." "Things take time."

Oct 26, 2017
If those posters bother you, use the ignore button. Stress and anxiety is high as fuck right now---I have a hard time discerning who is saying what for what reasons, and I don't know anyone's history enough---or care to know them enough---- to know if there is a pattern of being disingenuous.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in that other Biden thread. There are some posters in ERA that only post in bad faith. They know exactly what they are doing and are just trying to spread negativity. Don't feed the trolls. Don't reply to their posts. Don't fall for their trap. Those bad faith posts looks a lot like the stuff that is posted on that other forum. Can't let the trolls get the best of you, just ignore them.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017

You can re-phrase and your point all you want but it's still boiling down to "Biden should never enjoy a moment of peace and should be run ragged until he's out of office or dead"

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

I dont mind those posts because they really helped me see how subpar Democrats are as far being an opposition to what republicans are and represent. Like at the end of the day im checking those names with the D next them, but holy fuck, fuck democrats

Maybe you can try to simmer down the volume of those posts, but I really do think they deserve what they're getting as far as criticism goes

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

As I said to you in that same thread, so? That's isn't on you and it's absolutely none of your concern. Process the past four years in whichever way that works best for YOU. If people are glad that the story is this rather than some of the craziness we've dealt with for the past four years, then they've got that right, your petty judgements aside. You're seriously over here getting worked up because folks are happy they have some semblance of normalcy after the past four years rather than a president saying some racist, awful, hateful shit daily? You think you're the only one with the mental capacity to understand that we're going through something right now, the only one who has lost people or seen the effects of the pandemic? Others need emotional relief the same as you and deserve the right to react however they like to such stories. Let folks enjoy their feel good story and you're still free to fret all you like on your own. No one needs to be mired in misery 24/7 to understand the pandemic and it's honestly small-minded on your part.

Also, you're taking one sentiment and pretty much creating some made up narrative on how people feel. Enjoying this story while also understanding Biden can't generate a check from his behind isn't a hand-waving of concerns in any way. It's just the reality of the situation.

Oct 25, 2017
lol, I was tempted to make a similar thread about how some people here can't handle any criticism of dems
But that would be in complete bad faith because we can. There is a litany of issues that Democrats should be held accountable for. Not instantly getting checks out though, that isn't one of them.

They cannot just print 1400 or 2000 checks. There is a budgetary process that takes time. I thought it was common knowledge that you cannot just pass a $2 trillion dollar package instantly.

Oct 25, 2017
One day when I'm president I promise to cancel all of our student loans before playing even a single game of Mario Kart

Vote Sami 2028

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about instead of trying to silence people, we listen to their grievances?
I mean, the grievances are basically devoid of reality if they amount to being angry at Biden because he is engaged in a family moment and literally can't do anything else right now to push these checks people think could be sent at the flip of a switch because they don't understand their government.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mean, it's whatever, it's fine (it's not actually fine). The Democratic party does not represent the needs of workers, they play at politics while "nothing will fundamentally change".

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
But that would be in complete bad faith because we can. There is a litany of issues that Democrats should be held accountable for. Not instantly getting checks out though, that isn't one of them.

They cannot just print 1400 or 2000 checks. There is a budgetary process that takes time. I thought it was common knowledge that you cannot just pass a $2 trillion dollar package instantly.

How long does it take for Biden to tweet, "We're working on getting you your $2000 checks we promised in campaign ads"?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Get used to it if you call this forum a safe space for progressives and leftists. Ignore button should be easy to hit.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty simple dichotomy. People can talk about their grievances, but doing so in a way that is designed to increase infighting should be looked down upon. Especially since we live in an era of astroturfing and the only way to do it on this forum would be through "Dems aren't good enough, therefore don't vote for them"

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, people made Bernie mittens into a fucking meme and no progressives here complained. If that's not glorifying mundanity I don't know what is.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way Americans talk about their politicians honestly is a under analyzed part of the discourse. I don't think many of yall realize how *abnormal* the way political discourse happens in this country, but most specifically the reverence you have for political parties and it's leaders.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

You aggressively attacked me and accused me of all manner of things all day yesterday because I didn't conclude that the Democrats perfectly handled the impeachment.

This forum is incredibly sensitive to Party and leadership criticism and you have been a shining example of that.

And frankly, this thread should be locked because it's really just a roundabout way to try and generate a full thread piling on and poisoning the well of people that do or would voice frustration and grievance with the party and leadership.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
The level of discourse on some of these OT threads are rivaling youtube comment threads. There is nothing wrong with not being satisfied with Dems and Bidens or whatever, but there is very little meaningful discussion that is happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, there's a thread in which people are literally acting indignant about Biden PLAYING A VIDEO GAME WITH HIS GRANDDAUGHTER.
Every president of the US is a war criminal because their job is to preserve the American empire. Just because they dont have crowns and shit doesnt mean it doesnt happen or it isnt an empire. People get droned all the time in the name of 'national security' despite these dronings not being carried out on American soil.

So it is very difficult to a lot of people, who many of them live on said countries, to see the POTUS as just one good guy having a good time.

Posting reaction threads to other threads is also against ToS but here were are.

In general, this forum doesn't like actual criticism. Here's an example, so many people defending Wendys tweets against 'humorless people', despite the fact that Wendys is a multinational corporation that doesnt need defending, and people calling other people who desperately need money to survive 'embarrassing'. Like, just admit you enjoy turning off your brain to an ad campaign or that you don't need the money that was promised.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Politicians exist to be yelled at. It's far more preferable for them than the alternative.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Absolutely this.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Because some percentage of people just have grievance for grievance's sake. In the context of the last thread, there's pretty much nothing Biden can do right now to speed up the parliamentarian ruling on whether the COVID bill qualified for reconciliation. Despite that, people are grousing that Biden is doing anything at all that anyone is talking about that isn't sending out checks.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the grievances are basically devoid of reality if they amount to being angry at Biden because he is engaged in a family moment and literally can't do anything else right now to push these checks people think could be sent at the flip of a switch because they don't understand their government.
People are suffering because they don't have the means to make it through this pandemic. Users who posted "where's my money" know Biden isn't going to see it, but at least they have an opportunity to air their grievances. This whole charade around the $1400 vs $2000 in addition to pushing back checks till March or April is frustrating. After being promised that checks will go out as soon as he is in office, I'm sure they feel pretty disillusioned.

Oct 27, 2017
There are certain people who are performative actors and view all of this as a game of gotcha. It's pretty easy to tune these privileged people out as their MO is vapid and transparent.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
The same forum that's been broadcasting Trump's indiscretions for the entirety of four years?

Let's just dispense with the pretexts. The reason this in particular bothers a lot of people is because a lot of you have internalized the values of democrats (the good, AND the bad). There was no objection to anyone else receiving this treatment.

You're okay with the bad guys receiving that treatment because you considered them bad. Other people consider the democrats either bad, or not up to par. So they're gonna bring up these issues the same way.

Some will be valid. Some will not. I consider people needing financial relief to be valid. For that matter, Biden ran on the idea of getting checks out the door with a quickness, and he should make good on it.

That's the bare minimum. And if that bothers you, then I'm not really sure what to say? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
This goes both ways though. There's also a ton of bad faith posters who keep pushing back further and further when we're "allowed" to criticize democrats, and people that seem to care more about a president looking charismatic and having fun than how the rest of the party is run. The President isn't a role you take on like an office job, you're literally representing an entire country, and people are dead-set on treating it like a celebrity position.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 week): hostility
You can re-phrase and your point all you want but it's still boiling down to "Biden should never enjoy a moment of peace and should be run ragged until he's out of office or dead"

How? How does my point boil down to Biden shouldn't have a moment's peace. You're acting in bad faith.

My point is about people like you who don't seem interested in addressing reality and ensuring that everyone can share those same moments that Biden had with his grandchildren.

As I said to you in that same thread, so? That's isn't on you and it's absolutely none of your concern. Process the past four years in whichever way that works best for YOU. If people are glad that the story is this rather than some of the craziness we've dealt with for the past four years, then they've got that right, your petty judgements aside. You're seriously over here getting worked up because folks are happy they have some semblance of normalcy after the past four years rather than a president saying some racist, awful, hateful shit daily? You think you're the only one with the mental capacity to understand that we're going through something right now, the only one who has lost people or seen the effects of the pandemic? Others need emotional relief the same as you and deserve the right to react however they like to such stories. Let folks enjoy their feel good story and you're still free to fret all you like on your own. No one needs to be mired in misery 24/7 to understand the pandemic and it's honestly small-minded on your part.

Also, you're taking one sentiment and pretty much creating some made up narrative on how people feel. Enjoying this story isn't a hand waving of concerns in any way.

This is a completely tone deaf and disgusting post. You're downplaying people's suffering and material concerns because somehow seeing a president play a video game makes you feel better and gives you a sense of, "normalcy." Poor and dying people don't give a shit. They need help, not an emotional support blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.