• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max: Fury Road is making waves as a must-see "feminist" film, largely in reaction to calls for a boycott by so-called men's rights activists (MRAs) based on analyses such as "[Charlize] Theron sure talked a lot… Nobody barks orders to Mad Max." In a desire to protect and invest in anything MRAs don't like, many women and male feminist allies raced to theaters.

As Eileen Jones notes, when you actually look for the feminist plot elements in Fury Road, there's not much there. However, there's another thing missing in Fury Road: people of color.

inthesetimes.com

Mad Max: Fury Road and the Glaring Whiteness of Post-Apocalyptic Films

Will people of color ever make it to the end of the world?

What say you, Era? Was Fury Road too white?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely could've benefitted from more diversity. Hopefully the follow up corrects that.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling anything with a woman in the lead role feminist really just lowers the bar, but so does calling any movie diverse just because it has a couple people in it that aren't white.

Both of these things need some serious work but, sadly, as the article points out far too many people who oversee and cast these movies simply do not care beyond tokenisms and easy marketing ploys.

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
The hell? I watched this without even thinking about any social justice themes of feminism let alone men's rights (lol). First I'm hearing of it since I watched it on blu ray years ago.
Now I'm curious what does this say about me?

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hell? I watched this without even thinking about any social justice themes of feminism let alone men's rights (lol). First I'm hearing of it since I watched it on blu ray years ago.
Now I'm curious what does this say about me?
Fury Road is 100% about the liberation of women. It's the main plot point.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
You don't automatically have to protect or invest in a product or person because the other side hates it. I saw this a lot with shitty politicians who blasted Trump getting hate from the right and the left was quick to prop them up as having some moral standing. White people do it a lot. My theory is that it reminds them of their conservative parents.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's quite noticeable and hilarious. It's a fun movie but the almost all white cast is a distraction for me. It makes rewatching it hard. Considering the movie was made in 2015 it should have had a more diverse cast.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This article is closing in on six years old and a poor basis for a thread when there's no further points of discussion from the OP. The topic on the film industry or a fresh analysis of the film itself is fine though- feel free to remake the thread with either a more up to date source or an angle on discussion in the Op.

Status
Not open for further replies.